• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blue tooth is anyone using it???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

on today topic from the main website http://www.overclockers.com/tips1102/ some guys was controlling is computer (media player) with is cellphone via is blue tooth module...isn't that great... i gotta do the same thing but which card should i buy and checking on ebay, i've only seen usb blue tooth module and i really hate usint usb because as a case modder seeing that little thing hanging behind my case would break the all fluidity in the design of my case. is any one using a pci blue tooth card??? is blue tooth really flexible(like when fixing computer you just stick one of those module in he damage computer then you look at the problem under dos???
and again it would be great to control my comp with my cell just to see my friends faces here....

Im not sure if they even make PCI Bluetooth cards. If you wanted make the antenna internal, you could just get a short Male-Female USB cable* and pass it through the back of your case and mount the actual Bluetooth dongle inside of your case. I'm not sure what kind of range you would then get, but It wouldn't be hard to test out ;).

As far as using your Bluetooth cell as a remote control, it's kinda a PITA. I have a Nokia 3650 (the sister model to the article writer's 7650) and the software used requires a client to be running @ all times on your PC, plus you often have to go over to your PC just to get the d*mn thing working to begin with. It's just not seamless. Having said this, I like being able to transfer files to and from my phone wirelessly, and I'd recommend the 3650 (or 7650) to anyone.

*Some Bluetooth USB dongles come with just such a cable, I know my Epox BT-DG02 does.

I have never used a bluetooth device personally. Though, a friend of mine has the Microsoft mouse/keyboard with bluetooth connectivity. He also did not like having the USB dongle sticking out the back, and so he mounted it inside the case, and connected to one the USB connections off the motherboard. The range with bluetooth is a lot farther than infrared and you don't need line of sight, so mounting inside the case didn't seem to make any difference as far as reducing the range. The Microsoft device my friend has, also came with a cool looking blue LED in it, so it looks pretty cool in the case.

When booting for the first time he had to use a regular keyboard and mouse until bluetooth was installed. After that, it worked well. He uses it from his couch with his entertainment pc and watches tv/plays games on a plasma sceen on the wall.

He has no other bluetooth devices, so I don't know how well it communicates with other things.

I wish my cell was bluetooth compatible so I could send Multi Media messges to it.

I have some cool polyphonic ring tones, but don't have a way for my phone to get them. I've tried putting them online, and browsing to them in my cell browser, but that doesn't work. Only way I know how to get a .mid on my phone is to pay some place to send me one. :(

if your phone has an infared port you can transfer ringtones and pics and crap over that way. also if one of your friends has a phone with a way to connect to the comp have him load the junk to his phone and then mail it to yours.

Back