• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boinc + optimizations help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok, I just installed Vista 64 bit.

I've been crunching with boinc for a while, but i'm out of the loop as to what the newest optimizations are, and how to install them.

If someone has the time, can you make a post telling me what all optimizations and such i need? Also, is there a separate Boinc client for vista 64?

Also, what do i gotta do to install CUDA. I have 2 8800GT's. They may not be as fast as the 200x series, but they should still work, right?

Sorry for the trouble guys. I'm just out of the newest info on BOINC, and would like to get crunching again asap.

To run two CUDA cards you need the Raistmer's V9 optimization (assuming two GPU's on the same motherboard.

I have an optimization written up, can post it late tonight.

Yeah, both cards are in this machine. /me points to sig.

And thanks for taking your time later tonight, and posting the optimization you have written.

Gives me time to apply some AS5 to my 8800's. I haven't done that yet, and these cards tend to run a little warm. :D

http://lunatics.kwsn.net/gpu-crunching/index.0.html

Get their downloads from this forum. I'm currently using the V10 optimization. Using both my GPU's.

Also I don't know if you need the VGA Dummy Plug as well but here is the link to making that too.

Thanks. I'll be grabbing the CUDA stuff as soon as i take off the factory TIM, and replace it with AS5. I'm not a fan of high temps, and i currently leave my GPU fans on at 100% ALL the time.

What are the newest optimizations for the BOINC client itself? And is there a seperate client for a 64bit O/S? I didn't see one, so I'm THINKING that the boinc client is made for both for XP 34/64 and vista 32/64. but...i may be wrong on that, but i didn't see a separate client.

• Download the latest stable version of BOINC from:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/?C=M;O=D
Note: This page includes links to BOINC versions that may be BETA, and can
exhibit problems that will be fixed in the final release. CUDA requires at least
version 6.4.5. 6.6.3 and 6.6.4 both have significant problems and should be avoided.
• Download the latest nVidia drivers for your CUDA capable card:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
• Download the latest Raistmer’s AKV8+CUDA optimization from the first
link in this thread (download requires that you establish a free account) For
Q6600+ use SSE3 :
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/gpu-crunching/ak-v8-cuda-mb-team-work-mod.0.html
• Create a custom cc_config.xml file:
o Right click on desktop, new text document
o Open the document
o Insert the following text:
<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>6</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>
Change the “6” to the number of cpu and gpu cores in your machine. Q6600=4 +GTX260=1
for a total of 5, etc.
o Save the file as cc_config.xml and set file type to ‘all files’
• If BOINC is installed already, detatch from the project, uninstall, delete
any remaining folders, cleanup with the registry cleaner in ccleaner. This
clears out any existing optimizations and makes the work units available for
redistribution .
• Install latest nVidia Drivers
• Install the new BOINC Client. (Note: Do not select “single user” nor
“protected application” during the install)
o I use advanced part of the install
o uncheck the screensaver
o checkmark allow all users to control BOINC
o uncheck protected application execution
o Launch BOINC Manager
o Attach to SETI
o Existing User, then log in
o Finish
o Let BOINC do its downloads of banners, flags, files,
o Close BOINC and close from the task bar, yes close.
• Extract the contents of the Raistmer’s AKV8+CUDA optimization to the
desktop
o Copy all of the extracted files
o Paste them into the
BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu\
folder.
Yes to replace.
o This folder is located at:
C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/ Application Data/ BOINC/ Projects/Setiathome.berkley.edu/
(Vista put the folder in: program data folders) If you cannot see this folder
it may be hidden. To show hidden folders, tools, folder options, view,
advanced settings, checkmark ‘show hidden files and folders’, then apply.

• Find your newly created cc_config.xml file, copy it, then paste it into
the BOINC folder.
• Start BOINC from the start menu
• Advanced View, Tasks Tab, sort by Progress, should show running
tasks equal to the number placed in your cc_config.xml
• If an insufficient number of tasks are shown in the progress section:
o Advanced
o Read Config File

Last edited:
holy crap, Thanks for that EagleScouter!!

Serously, that post alone should be made into it's own thread, and posted as a Sticky. Then when new optimizations and such come along, it can easily be edited instead of being reposted whenever someone asks.

Thanks a ton. Can't wait to get back into crunching for the OCF seti team!

EDIT: not to be anal, or mean or anything. But I think that your original posting of the guide was much easier to read, and navigate vs. the edit you did to it. Plus, people could just click the links that were made, now they have to be copy and pasted instead.

Just a personal preference, thats all. Still, thanks for the guide!

Thanks for the input, I"ll fix it :)

thanks! Vista has this weird thing about messing with the text in certain places. Such as the text in the tabs in Firefox, and in the code box you originally had. It made the stuff fuzzy to read.

It may have to do with the size of the font, but regular text in the forums is perfectly fine, along with all the text on my desktop and such, But other text seems to be fuzzy...dunno why.

i'm trying not to ask too many questions here....but...

which client version should i grab? Cuda as you said needs. 6.4.5 to work, but they have clients all the way up to 6.6.11. And none of them actually say if they are beta or not....

Personally, I'd prefer stability vs. speed. No point in doing WU's faster, if they end up being bad because the client is still buggy.

Ok, I think it's all setup correctly.

I have 4 units crunching at the same time. ( 2 from my CPU, and 1 from each of my 8800's = 4 )

Its saying "Setiathome_enchanced 6.08" on each unit ( excluding astropulse units ).

2 units are going much faster than the others, implying that the GPU's are working fine ( that, and my GPU temps went WAY up ).

everything seem correct?

Looks Great!!

Check your task manager, you should see an extra item that says MB_x.xx_mod_CPU_team_CUDA.exe That confirms that CUDA is running, although your temperature change is a good indicator as is the increased crunch speed.

Sometimes a unit will freeze at a few seconds (usually less than 25) and the % completed will not change. Those need to be manually aborted. (I get one every few days).

You may see batches of Computation Error units, those will most likely be Low AR units that are auto aborted since the graphics card cannot effectively crunch those.

Do the Astropulse units tend to freeze a lot? I just had 2 astropulse units that had to be abored, because they pretty much stopped being crunched a while ago.

not sure if my CPU or my GPU's were crunching them, but either way, they both had stopped.

Quick Question.

If you have multiple GPU's, And you turn SLI on, Do you drop the # of cores in the xml file that i had to create?

That is, i have a Dual core + 2 GPU's = 4 cores. If i enable SLI, do i drop it down to 3, or is CUDA not able to do that, and has to treat each core as its own separate entity?

If SLI is enabled, the cards are combined as one device and will run one instance of BOINC. The second card will not be used for BOINC in any way. So Yes, you would reduce the number of cores in the cc_config.xml

Back