• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bong or Heatercores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PICS!!!

Alright, beginning the bong build -

Heres the central tower
DSCF2564.jpg
And heres the shower head assembly
DSCF2565.jpg

The tower will be L-bracketed and bolted the the top of a five gallon bucket.

Thanks everyone for help deciding!

Last edited:
Sleepy_Steve said:
Must we talk about the freezing weather when winter is comming??

Some of us have to venture outside to silly things like calsses and fire drills at 3am.
At least its been mild here so far... Oh man the jinx hammer will surely swing for that one :cry:

Your jinx hammer slammed me upside the head. Thanks. :bang head

An ice coated limb fell into the power line to my house. Luckily it didn't knock out the power. I managed to get it hoisted off and cut up. DISCLAIMER: Do not do this unless you know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing and would have preferred to wait for the electric company.

A couple more limbs are dangling over the driveway. They will be coming down, but shouldn't hit anything... As long as I remember to park my car at the end of the drive.

Then I popped a tire on my car pulling into the drive after buying some rope for the tree work...

On the bright side, my mildly overclocked CPU (e6400 @ 2403 MHz) is humming along at 22c in my chilly basement. (stock Intel air cooling) :santa: It was at 19c before I turned on the space heater...

Back on-topic:

How tall of a tower are you going with? 3" or 4" in pvc?

I'm considering a bong as a cost cutting measure to get into water cooling. The "best" place for me to put it would be on the "shelf" with the computer. Which would limit me to about 3ft in height. Not sure if that would be enough.
Most examples I see are in the 4 to 6 ft range.

The main pipe is 3 feet, and the 5 gallon bucket is probably another foot or so. I'll post lots and lots of pics tommorow, the cooler is basically done right now, i just need to wait for the silicone caulk to dry

@ cloim
With a 5 gallon bucket as a reservior, you can make the pvc stem as short or as high as you'd like. 1 foot would be fine.
Just make sure of a couple things:
a) make sure there's ample space above your water level for air circulation from the lid mounted fan and up the pvc pipe (3-4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket).
b) remember you're going to have to refill the water supply in the bong, so don't go placing it too far out of reach for a "refill gone wrong" catastrophe.
c) there's no obstruction above your pvc stem, because it can re-condensate water droplets onto an obstruction, soaking it. Maybe place a 90 degree fitting on the top if need be.

Personally if it were me, instead of placing it on a shelf with the computer, I'd make a hanger bracket or small shelf for the bucket, making sure that the waterblock in the computer is of a height somewhere between the bucket bottom and the showerhead...just so that the head of the pump isn't pushed too much.

Oh, and "Lake effect snow warning here from 11am today until 5am tomorrow". We expect 5-10" of the foul white stuff. :rolleyes:
Our ice storm came and went without too much problem, the kids got a 3 day weekend though.

Last edited:
ITS DONE! Lots and lots of pics coming in a few min

The lid
DSCF2569.jpg
DSCF2570.jpg
The tower, attached to the lid
DSCF2572.jpg
Hole in the bottom of the lid, made with the two most sophisticated tools out there, a butterfly knife and tinsnips (sheet metal cutters)
DSCF2574.jpg
The monster (1/2 inch) drill bit, on my drill
DSCF2577.jpg
Hole made, pump fits!!!
DSCF2579.jpg
Silicone caulk on the joints...
DSCF2608.jpg
DSCF2609.jpg
shower head is attached with grating and zip ties
DSCF2610.jpg
Ready to leak test!
DSCF2613.jpg

I'll post again when i getting it working with no leaks

Last edited:
Can that pump be submerged??

I know the mag drive pumps can be, and if i were doing a bong setup... That would be what i'd do to reduce possible leaks. Besides, if the pump is contained inside the bong its a little bit more idiot-guest-proof. Dont wana see some parrent / gf / sibling hurting that setup.

Just an idea though. I do realise there is already a hole in the side, But i think that may be relativley easy to patch.

I'm pretty sure its not submersible, and unfortunately, the silicone sealing between the pump/bucket was leaky, so I dried it off, put on more silicone. I'll post an update tomorrow, when the sealant dries.

Last edited:
I'd love to post temps, but the thing is.. I'm sorta lacking a CPU block, not to mention a motherboard (should be arriving this wed.)

If anyone has an old CPU block they would part with for cheap, contact me

EDIT: I've been thinking about putting fans on the lid to improve airflow, and therefore evaporation. I have two 80mm fans, one is about 150% as powerful as the other. Should i have more air going in than out, or vice versa?

Last edited:
Excellent! no leaks except for a tiny one at the elbow joints

I can't post temps for a while, motherboard is coming tomorrow, but I still need to get a water block

Also, anybody know what i should do with the 80mm fans (should the stronger one be blowing in or out)

Last edited:
Ideally you'd have two fans blowing equal amounts of air in and out, but one fan blowing out (assuming air can get in fairly easily) would be ideal. Can you 'paint' on one of your pics where the fans will go? That might help us make a better recommendation.

Here you go

kenpicedit.jpg

both fans are super-duper quiet 80mm PSU fans from a recently dead PSU (the same one that knocked out my mobo with it's dying breath)

One is much thicker than the other, (like 3x) but i turned them on, and the airflow wasn't even twice as much

I also might want to have them BOTH blowing in, to directly force convection/evaporation...

Ideally you get a T in the bong pipe and the fans blow in and up, but just down should work okay as well since your air is pretty sealed. What about an auto-refill catchment?

i had originally planned for a t/elbowbend/straight pipe setup

l l
l l_
l _
l /
l l

like that, but i decided not too, because my hardware store was charging 16$for them, and they seem like they should cost more like 6 or 7 bucks.

So you think having both of them blowing in won't create some sort of inequality vortex of death?

i'm not sure what i should do to make refills easier. I ha originally planned to have a massive series (like 8) 5 gallon buckets, all with the water level the same, and only one acting as a cooler. If the first one goes below the line that the others have, they will fill it up, and so on. This would use the sheer volume of water that would need to evaporate make refilling a monthly chore, not daily/weekly

My current plan in to use the amount of water in the pump output to gauge the water level, and then have a barb on top, that has a tube attached, which would have a funnel attached. I would have to refill pretty often, but i would save myself a good 50 bucks, and refilling would take very little time.

Last edited:
A simple, round hole just smaller than a 2L bottle is all you need to help with refilling and keeping track of your water level. Fill up the bottle and invert it into the hole. When the water level drops below the bottle opening ...

And it's cheaper than the cost of the funnel :)

Alright, i acquired two of these - not the greatest airflow, but quiet as hell
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999343

I cut holes with my butterfly knife and plopped them in. The holes weren't perfect, but I'll fix that with some silicon

And thanks quietice, thats exactly what I'll do. I love seltzer, so i have enough bottles on hand to make fillports for like 30 bong coolers :D

Last edited:
I would consider a 1/4" float valve into the bucket plumed to a holding tank that sets higher (gravity fed) or if you happened to have a RO/DI unit with preasurized tank (they are pretty cheap on e-bay if you have another use for filtered water) you could split off the output on that (its 1/4")..
http://www.hardwareworld.com/Economy-Float-Valve-p5GDTDN.aspx

or something like it.

Back