• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bong or Heatercores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd planned to install some legs on my bucket and use a toilet filler valve plumbed into a cold water pipe to keep the water up to the correct height. They use a bottom fitting, thus the legs.
That's just me though, I already have holes in the floor to the basement for my current water cooling.

WoW bong cooling, now there's a classic if ever I saw one, lol. :santa: I haven't seen a bong cooler in ages. Sure brings back memories.

Gotta see that mofo in action! :cool:

Nebulous said:
WoW bong cooling, now there's a classic if ever I saw one, lol. :santa: I haven't seen a bong cooler in ages. Sure brings back memories.

Gotta see that mofo in action! :cool:
its making a comeback, i tell ya- its good to see.
its not right for everyone, and its a bit tricky, but
i think all the buzz lately is about on target.
for a while there i think it was somewhat forgotten about and its good to hear now and then that its still done.
theres a bit more of an art to it than say-
ordering a bunch of stuff from xoxide...
and the whole "get rid of the heat" thing works out nicely, too...

Alright, i currently lack a CPU block, so my presshot is on air for the time being, but my gpu is absolutely overjoyed. x850 pro oc'ed to 550 core scratches 40 under load. The tube from the pump is cool to the touch, and there is minor condensation all over the bucket.

Can anyone reccommend a good cpu block for cheap, preferably a low flow one?

Rig in the sig is way outdated
ll
V

Edit: Rig in the sig has been updated

Last edited:
Orionlion... wow, theres a monster oc if i ever saw one...

about white water blocks-

ive heard good thing about them in general, but how do the d-tek ones compare to the ones from cooltechnica?

4od said:
Orionlion... wow, theres a monster oc if i ever saw one...

about white water blocks-

ive heard good thing about them in general, but how do the d-tek ones compare to the ones from cooltechnica?

Same thing different name on the box.

Dont wanna be a necro, but i re-seated te gpu waterblock, and now my idles are UNDER 20C and my load temps are between 28-32c. very happy! again, i will post cpu temps when i get a cpu block.

I had a lot of fun working on this project, and the temps speak for themselves, especially with a *****ty block (aquarius ii). I would definetely recommend a bong cooler for ANYONE whos not using phase or above. Cost a bit less than a nice 120.2 radiator, and performance is better than a thousand 120.3's (under ambient). Its also working as a humidifier for my room, which is really nice in the winter.

Loved my bong for the year or so I had one. Wife was not so keen on it though. Worked great for benching and can handle a good deal of heat.

i was just thinking, could i toss a few ice cubes in there for benchmarking?
(condensation protection/freezing inhibition element would be present)

4od said:
i was just thinking, could i toss a few ice cubes in there for benchmarking?
(condensation protection/freezing inhibition element would be present)
yep! allthough a few ice cubes wont last long, and wont do much at load.

go down the street and get a cheap bag of ice for a buck or so.
and then, run the ice through as if you were leaktesting - check for condensation. make sure -nothing- is getting power except your pump.

observe carefully what happens and redo your insulation as nessacary. Edit: you might find that your entire mobo gets cold enough for condensation, so watch out.

next, go back and get another bag of ice. make sure your water level stays in check, and go ahead and use that one for your benchies!

Edit: and make sure that the room is as dry as possible. open a window, do anything you have to do because a really dry room will lessen the condensation factor. dont forget you are running a 5 gallon humidifier...

ive found the water stays at about 40*F for about a half hour, perfect for benchies

Last edited:
nice!

this is definetley something i'll try in the *near* future

when i do it, should i post it on normal wc forums or xtreme cooling forums?

Back