• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot from USB ext drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

Been running Ubuntu over a year now and really happy (recommend it highly) but I need to boot into Windows for the silliest of reasons (so I can download Itunes and add music to kids Ipod).

I put an HDD with Win7 in a USB external enclosure and set the Bios to 1st boot from it. So far so good. However, Windows goes into repair mode (sensing a non windows OS in the other HDD I guess) and wont budge from there, even flashing BSOD at me and rebooting when I tell it to boot normally.

The HDD with Windows on it works fine, when I boot with Ubuntu I can mount and access it normally from my desktop. The Windows OS on it used to work just fine last time it was installed inside a PC.

Thanks for any help.

If this is the only thing you need windows for, could you install a VM (Virtual Machine) on your Ubuntu OS an install windows on it? I might save you hassle and time.

Back