• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot time program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I want to get a program that tells me how fast my computer boots, I never knew such a thing existed until I got my laptop and it came with one installed.

Now that I upgraded to w8 it doesn't work on my laptop, i'd like to compare boot times between w7 and w8 and might as well check out my desktop while i'm at it.

Wear a watch. I like to count from when I hit the reboot button. When I see everything has loaded and the cpu is idle, then I stop counting.

Wear a watch. I like to count from when I hit the reboot button. When I see everything has loaded and the cpu is idle, then I stop counting.

yeah I doubt the event log counts things like bios screen and time until all programs are loaded. Granted from the time my desktop appears to everything being loaded is barely a second. I installed w8 though and it boots to a log on screen so I can't get an accurate measurement until I get rid of that.

I want to see how fast my computer compares to my dads ancient computer, I have a hunch that I could turn on my computer and have a browser open in the time it takes him to simply open a browser lol.

True. I use a password now too but it would probably be good if I canceled it were I to actually time it.

yeah I doubt the event log counts things like bios screen and time until all programs are loaded. Granted from the time my desktop appears to everything being loaded is barely a second. I installed w8 though and it boots to a log on screen so I can't get an accurate measurement until I get rid of that.

I want to see how fast my computer compares to my dads ancient computer, I have a hunch that I could turn on my computer and have a browser open in the time it takes him to simply open a browser lol.
The Boot Duration ((BootTime) value (Event 100--> Details tab)) is the sum of MainPathBootTime and BootPostBootTime.

MainPathBootTime

MainPathBootTime represents the amount of time that elapses between the time the animated Windows logo first appears on the screen and the time that the desktop appears. Keep in mind that even though the system is usable at this point, Windows is still working in the background loading low-priority tasks.

BootPostBootTime

BootPostBootTime represents the amount of time that elapses between the time that the desktop appears and the time that you can actually begin using the system.

The Boot Duration ((BootTime) value (Event 100--> Details tab)) is the sum of MainPathBootTime and BootPostBootTime.

MainPathBootTime

MainPathBootTime represents the amount of time that elapses between the time the animated Windows logo first appears on the screen and the time that the desktop appears. Keep in mind that even though the system is usable at this point, Windows is still working in the background loading low-priority tasks.

BootPostBootTime

BootPostBootTime represents the amount of time that elapses between the time that the desktop appears and the time that you can actually begin using the system.

ahhhhh nice so the variation in time might be me taking longer to log on

bootracer is a program that will time just the windows time, and leave all the bios loading out of the numbers.

Back