• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bootloop when connected to monitor via Display Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hey guys,

I bought a new monitor for my semi-gaming setup - BenQ XL2430t. It's a 144Hz screen that has all sorta cool configurations. I've connected it to my MSI 970 GTX (overclocked) with a DisplayPort cable (from both sides), booted, and... err. Well, PC powers on, doesn't post (or posts briefly, not sure), then shuts down. I tried it several times and it still happened. On a separate occasion for a reason beyond me I managed to boot it with the DP and everything worked, except when I shut it down the bootloop returned.

Now, if I take out the display port and connect the monitor via DVI - everything works perfect.

I've googled it and it turns out that this is a common problem that happens because 20 pin DP cables have some feedback voltage back into the GPU which messes it up - Though it sounds really weird in my opinion, I mean, those cables are available worldwide and people don't complain :confused:

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone ever run into this problem? Were you able to fix it?
2. Say I ignore this issue, do I lose anything if I use the DVI instead of the Display port? I'm playing at 1080p 144Hz.
3. How the hell can a monitor affect boot :shock:

If the cable isn't new, I would buy a new one first. The Amazon Basics ones are low cost and good quality.

Back