• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boring I Know but New Conroe Build What memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supershanks

I realise you guys must be sick of seeing us AMD refugees coming over 2 the dark side in need of speed.:)
But santa (& wife:) ) have been good & i will get my new build in around 3 weeks. Going 4 either:-
Abit IN9 32X-MAX 680i
or
DFI LANParty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G ATI RD600
+6600
But as with last 3 builds hardest componrnt to pin down is memory.

Biggest issue i see is that chips get changed & memory that was great performance a few months ago in review x becomes very average. A case in point being Choosing the Right Memory for Core 2 Duo Platform - Part 3: DDR2-800 SDRAM Modules Roundup (page 8) In this review , from a site i trust the corsair wins hands down, in particular looking like great value compared with the 2nd place Mushkin. However that was October reading around the forums I see that chances of getting same performance now from that memory is zilch.

Current Shortlist is:-
CellShock DDR2 1000 (PC8000)
4-4-4-12

Redline XP2-8000 996525 (2x1GB)
XP2-6400 996523 (2x1GB) - From the Xbit Article.
Team Xtreem DDR2 800MHz CL 3-3-3-8

The above are all available here in the ulk at the moment. Had considered the g-skill Hz but its out of stock & more expensive than most of above.

To sum up i'm more concerned about spending money to find i've got fairly indifferent memory cos there has been a revision of the chips. I'm leaning towards the Mushkin but would be grateful as hell for some 1st hand opinions.

Thanks

Back