• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought a switch can you help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

So my friend has a router and across his smog shop he has a office. We bought a switch coming off of that router. Both computers are plugged into the switch from the office.

But only 1 computer can go on the internet. The other computer says there is no valid IP address.We tested the same ethernet cord (from the working pc) in both pcs. It worked in one but not the other.

Does this mean the router isnt assigning IP'S? Or could his ethernet port be bad.

or do we need to reset something on the desktop thats not getting to the router.
The downside to this all is i dont know really how to get into the router because the bussines is closed during the night where i am free.

its a dlink switch from frys purchased today. 5 port
http://www.frys.com/product/6288810

If there are only two computers, then why do you even need the switch? That router should have four LAN ports on the back of it

cause were borrowing it from the main office and only have 1 line coming in. The guy I am helping owns the land but not the business. So there offering us there internet for free.

Sounds like the router isn't configured properly, or it's not a router at all, but a switch. Can you get to the internet on all PCs plugged directly into the router?

yeah the router is a netgear rangemax and the switch is a dlink from frys. the pc cannot find a valid IP address.

Theres a little yellow caution sign over the network. It says its connected to an unidentified network.

think thats my problem?

the two pcs coming off of the switch are fighting over the ip address. so there both never on the internet at the same time.

i can see them on the network just not the internet

I'm thinking that either the router needs a reboot or the cable is bad. First, check both PCs to make sure they are configured to get IP addresses dynamically. Then try rebooting all three devices, unplug all three for at least one minute each. next, if the problem still exists, then shut down the PC that has internet and leave it off, then reboot the one that has no internet WITHOUT SWAPPING ANY CABLES. If the 2nd PC now has internet then you got a router problem, try increasing the DHCP pool size.

I reset the router and the first pc got the internet and not the second so they switched. There both set to grab ip address's automatically. When i uninstall the network adaptor after a restart one of the pc will grab the addresses.. I think your right about possibly the router being the issue.

Now i have to investigate that but since there closed at night i may have to get the office there own dirty work.

Back