• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brands that you will never buy from again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1 My Droid2 still works, and so does my old, semi smart Motorola...Hell even with my wife's buttfingers on them, it still lasted its contract term.

I had both the Droid 1 and Droid 2. Thank God for extended warranty plans. I went through 3 of each during my contract term (2 years). My brother had the same issues with his as well.

The only other smartphone I've had is my current one which is an HTC Incredible. I'm at the 2 year point now and have went through one already and the second is acting goofy from time to time (rebooting).

I'm not really hard on phones either. I use it daily for talking and websurfing (in the bathroom, lol). The only thing I do that is out of the ordinary is I will stream Pandora for several hours daily or play music like it was an MP3 player.

You are either unlucky or do something to the phone that ends up killing it. :shrug:

I did not take good care of my Droid 1 and it is perfectly fine. I dropped it countless times, dropped/threw it on counters and it has never even flinched. I do this with my Bionic and it still works. It isn't like I'm storing it in a suede case and touch it with rubber gloves in a clean room!

What now? Intel uses custom firmware in the 520 and released it almost a year (I think) after the initial Sandforce release because it wasn't passing their validation. I haven't heard of any issues with Intel's Sandforce-controlled drives, and the drives with their own controllers are the most reliable of the bunch. So this seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

No, it is not a knee-jerk reaction. I just do not trust SandForce. I have more than enough reason to feel that way. While I can't and won't argue that Intel's custom firmware seems to be alright, until SandForce makes a controller that comes off the line (so-to-speak) with no issues on a consistent basis while still maintaining performance equal to competitors who are not/have not been problem plagued, no SF for me. That what I should have written. I just don't trust them until they earn it.

^ Well, sure. I don't trust Sandforce either. :) But according to the thread title, I would certainly not "never buy from Intel again" because they released one drive with a Sandforce controller. That's all I'm saying.

You are either unlucky or do something to the phone that ends up killing it. :shrug:

I did not take good care of my Droid 1 and it is perfectly fine. I dropped it countless times, dropped/threw it on counters and it has never even flinched. I do this with my Bionic and it still works. It isn't like I'm storing it in a suede case and touch it with rubber gloves in a clean room!

I would say bad luck if my brother didn't have the same issues as I do.

I really don't think carrying it in my pocket while on the go, then putting it in a cradle on my desk at work and streaming music, then taking it home and putting it on a cradle at night to use as an alarm is abusive or anything either. Never dropped them or anything.

They've all had the same issues. After 6 months they start overheating and rebooting or locking up and then start losing signal strength to the point of being useless.

...of SSDs and SandForce

^ Well, sure. I don't trust Sandforce either. :) But according to the thread title, I would certainly not "never buy from Intel again" because they released one drive with a Sandforce controller. That's all I'm saying.

Which is why - I didn't go back and look - but I believe I wrote, until they stop using SandForce controllers.

The re-write to ensure I stay on topic:

Intel SSDs (conditional): While they are using SandForce controllers; until SandForce can consistently build "trouble-free-off-the-line" controllers on a constant basis. I do not trust SF. They are not worth the worry or risk of having unexpected troubles. If this never happens and Intel continues to use SF controllers, I will not buy them again.

Last edited:
1. Lenovo G Series Laptops- Had problems with the display 3 times.

2. Motorola- I had a supposedly indestructible Tundra that had never been dropped or abused that wouldn't open right. They told me it was abuse or neglect not covered by warranty.

3. Chrysler Products and in particular Dodge Trucks- Pinging, AC and transmission problems.

4. Refurb HK AV Receivers- Got one and it would not even come on. Sent that one in for replacement. I should of asked for a refund and the next one will lose sound sometimes. Turn it off and turn it back on and it works. I wasn't taking the time and effort to send it in again. I might have got worse again.

Remember guys, Quality is not there anymore. We are at a point in life that china controls us and they get away with it. its a shame it came to this point but all we can do is keep returning the stuff and hope to get a 95% quality. For me i just keep returning till they get tired of me and give me one that works

In order of my hate:

OCZ -how can you screw up a motherboard rear mounting plate that you designed to be used specifically with your brand of heatsinks?!?!?!?!? Thanks for destroying my motherboard.
Rogers cable/internet/home phone -almost cost me my house, could have cost me my life (long story).
OCZ -remember the phony silver thermal paste scandal? I was cooling mod back then and saw a lot of the details of that affair.
KDS -somehow I accidentally found the C.E.O.'s personal email address online, and after he directly ordered his underlings to fully refund my money the second time they reluctantly gave it back to me.
OCZ -everyone in their 30's (or older) remember the phony memory chips scandal(s)? I still do.
ANUS ASUS -can they ever make a mobo that does not kill it's onboards sound within a few months of use? Possibly. Can they get one to me somehow? Not yet.
LG -everyone that I know in person who has ever bought one of their optical drives has had to ask me to recommend a replacement brand within a few months.
Sanyo -four defective 27" CRT televisions in a row, each bad right out of the box.
aaaaaand OCZ.

P.S. OCZ

I'm kinda getting the feeling that you may have negative feelings towards OCZ.

I'm kinda getting the feeling that you may have negative feelings towards OCZ.

I actually don't have anything personal against them. Their mobo back plate did eat my motherboard but in the grand scheme the emotional toll that event had on my sanity was between trivial and non-existent. But knowing their history of... well just about everything, has me investing my money safely, with someone (almost anyone) else.

Back