• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Broadwell compatible with Z97 Boards ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys just wanted to confirm since I saw an article on my magazine about Z97 boards, it claimed that the Z97 boards be compatible with the upcoming 14nm Intel Broadwell CPU(s) ?? Is this true ??
If so , meaning Broadwell CPU(s) will too be running on LGA 1150 socket then?

But meaning also that the new Boradwell CPU(s) basically will just have bout the same features as the Haswell / Haswell Refresh then ? Since they are going to be using the Z97 boards. Mainly where most the features are from anyways like PCI-E , SATA , M.2 SATA etc

Another question about DDR4 , it be only available for X99 boards ? Haswell-E if not mistaken right ??

Yes it will be compatible. As far as features, who knows... its not out yet. But just because it shares the same socket, doesn't mean a lack of features.

DDR4 will hit the mainstream, but I believe FIRST it will be for X99.

DDR4 in mainstream is expected in 2nd quarter of 2015. Can be delayed as there is no special pressure on Intel except memory manufacturers. Also somewhere then will be new chipsets from 100 series.

DDR4 in mainstream is expected in 2nd quarter of 2015. Can be delayed as there is no special pressure on Intel except memory manufacturers. Also somewhere then will be new chipsets from 100 series.

Hmm I don't really get this part " then will be new chipsets from 100 series "

Yes it will be compatible. As far as features, who knows... its not out yet. But just because it shares the same socket, doesn't mean a lack of features.

DDR4 will hit the mainstream, but I believe FIRST it will be for X99.

But doesn't it share the same Chipset too being on the Z97 board too.

But guys do you think there even be any significant performance gain for the new Broadwell CPU(s) compare to the previous being IB and Haswell well Haswell Refresh too if you want to include that...so far I only seeing 1-5% gap...
Also not to mention Im speaking here as a " Gamer " not an Overclocker nor for Work purpose. As far as I know , in terms of Gaming there's almost no difference even if we compared it back to IB except new features being more SATA III , M.2 SATA now the latest and few bells and whistles that I doubt I even use.
In terms of Temperature I guess it's better now so I guess it's a gain for Overclockers.

Same thing goes for DDR4 , seems like a huge improvement least what Linus said ( From Linus Tech Tips on YouTube ) then again , as for a Gamer like me.....should I even bother :shrug:
Im still looking for a good excuse to change my Motherboard, specifically moving to AMD...but seems like releasing a new CPU isn't anytime soon on AMD's roadmap they are so focus on their APU now.

Anyone can look into the future and tell me if Broadwell is going to be any much improvement for gaming compare to Haswell Refresh ? Feels unsettling , things could go two ways.

Wait for Broadwell ( not to mention least 5 Months more to go ! ) and find out there's no significant performance improvement for gaming

OR

Go ahead and buy a Haswell Refresh CPU and Z97 board ending up Broadwell be a huge improvement from Haswell Refresh.....though the Board can be re-use but I would have wasted 200$ + on the CPU

I meant you can also expect new Intel chipsets in the 2nd quarter of 2015. Now we have 90 series chipsets so Z97 and soon X99 ... later will be 100 ;) So probably these new chipsets will be designed for DDR4.

Early DDR4 will be for sure slower than DDR3. General performance will still depend from memory controller and we don't know how it will perform.

On the early slides, Broadwell had DDR3 and DDR4 memory support so or it has both controllers in the chip or will be mixed series ( like both versions on the market ). There will be 2 different sockets so I bet that inside the CPU will be also different controllers. Time will show.

I meant you can also expect new Intel chipsets in the 2nd quarter of 2015. Now we have 90 series chipsets so Z97 and soon X99 ... later will be 100 ;) So probably these new chipsets will be designed for DDR4.

Early DDR4 will be for sure slower than DDR3. General performance will still depend from memory controller and we don't know how it will perform.

On the early slides, Broadwell had DDR3 and DDR4 memory support so or it has both controllers in the chip or will be mixed series ( like both versions on the market ). There will be 2 different sockets so I bet that inside the CPU will be also different controllers. Time will show.

Im very bad with the Waiting game lol....Patience is one thing I don't have :(
I wish I will have a Crystal Ball to tell me whether will it benefit me in terms of gaming performance or not.

More importantly , since it's new , Im more worry about the price...no surprise it might even cost like 200 - 300$ maybe even for pair of 8GB DDR4 lol !

DDR3 wasn't in so bad prices at the beginning but there were times when 3GB for home PC was enough. My 1st DDR3 kit cost me about $200 and it was 3GB 1600 7-7-7 memory ( we have 23% tax ;) ).

DDR3 wasn't in so bad prices at the beginning but there were times when 3GB for home PC was enough. My 1st DDR3 kit cost me about $200 and it was 3GB 1600 7-7-7 memory ( we have 23% tax ;) ).

23% tax!? And the people don't revolt?

We had 15% here and people wouldn't stop complaining so now it's either 12 or 13% I forget which. Still too much in my opinion. Why does the government get to take a share of the money every time I buy something? Ridiculous.

We had 15% here and people wouldn't stop complaining so now it's either 12 or 13% I forget which. Still too much in my opinion. Why does the government get to take a share of the money every time I buy something? Ridiculous.

But I remember UK Taxes for Electronics are ludacris too...
But ( no offend in saying this word just wants the expression ) *****, please....our Automobile Tax here is 200% , tell me that **** when that happen to any of your taxes in your country....

Not sure about Electronic though....but usually , like for a GPU for example.
If it were to sell like 350$ in US , but our price is about 400-450$ here..

And we get tax for about everything here actually.
Let's not forget our low salary and high cost of living in this country.
Revolt ? Well we can't unless we want a full Military Law on us , we have no Human Right here :thup:

Back to the topic. I've been thinking , I don't think I will bother to wait for DDR4 , since even for now having " better " RAM doesn't even improve gaming performance. As long you have sufficient RAM it's good enough.

Even some claim there aren't really going to be any real world performance gain from DDR4 , except lower voltage and higher RAM capacity sticks.
Maybe we finally get like a 16GB per stick or something like that.

Might as well we wait for PCI-E 4.0 at then only we move on to DDR4 RAM.
Since at then you definitely have to get both new CPU and Mobo and even a GPU I guess :D

In Poland there are things that could be taxed more than once and you don't even know about it. It's really stupid. Some other countries in EU have higher tax ( 30% or something ) but some other things have lower taxes and many things cost less. Here we have high tax and everything overpriced. 300% tax in fuel and some other things.

Regardless of tax there is one other stupid thing which is manufacturers fault. All prices are being translated like USD was worth the same as Euro or GBP. Euro value is ~25% higher but if something costs ~$100 in US then in Europe it costs ~$100 Euro. Great example is EVGA store as it's in EU and US version with different prices for the same hardware.

In Poland there are things that could be taxed more than once and you don't even know about it. It's really stupid. Some other countries in EU have higher tax ( 30% or something ) but some other things have lower taxes and many things cost less. Here we have high tax and everything overpriced. 300% tax in fuel and some other things.

Regardless of tax there is one other stupid thing which is manufacturers fault. All prices are being translated like USD was worth the same as Euro or GBP. Euro value is ~25% higher but if something costs ~$100 in US then in Europe it costs ~$100 Euro. Great example is EVGA store as it's in EU and US version with different prices for the same hardware.

Welcome to the ****ed Up Society we live in :thup:

it looks like the way to go is, if you have haswell now, skip the refresh and wait for broadwell, if your just buying into the 1150 socket, get the refresh as the price is the same as for a 4770k.

or get Pentium if you can live with 2 threads :) ... and wait for something better

it looks like the way to go is, if you have haswell now, skip the refresh and wait for broadwell, if your just buying into the 1150 socket, get the refresh as the price is the same as for a 4770k.

I have IB now actually , my main goal is looking to swap out my ugly looking M-ATX board and terrible color scheme...
So sadly Z77 boards are totally extinct here now...I have to move to Z97 boards.
Like you said , I think I will just wait till end of year till Broadwell releases then I move on to Broadwell and Z97 boards.

or get Pentium if you can live with 2 threads :) ... and wait for something better

Isn't that downgrading rather than upgrading lol....but there's a shop here build most of their PC using the Xeon CPU @@
I thought Xeon aren't meant for gaming ??

It can game just fine. There are zero differences in a Xeon that would affect gaming in any appreciable way. ;)

It can game just fine. There are zero differences in a Xeon that would affect gaming in any appreciable way. ;)

Seems only difference is Xeon can't OC while the i5 / i7 can.
Hmm will check see if they are cheaper too maybe a good idea for a gaming build since I don't OC :D

Also seems like PCI-E 4.0 will be coming 2015.
If so , meaning we will need an entire new system to run it ??
New GPU , CPU , Mobo ??

Xeon can overclock to the tune of their turbo multiplier and a little bclk... but yes there are none that are unlocked.

Current boards will not run PCIe4.0 AFAIK, correct. PCIe3.0 isn't saturated in most cases anyway though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Xeon can overclock to the tune of their turbo multiplier and a little bclk... but yes there are none that are unlocked.

Current boards will not run PCIe4.0 AFAIK, correct. PCIe3.0 isn't saturated in most cases anyway though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Really ? But isn't our GPU running on PCI-E 3.0 ?
But I think the improvement it's more for like SSD etc stuffs right ? I mean PCI-E 4.0.

Yes, our gpus run on 3.0.

Perhaps someday SSD will benefit from more bandwidth than what 3.0 provides. I don't think now though.

Yes, our gpus run on 3.0.

Perhaps someday SSD will benefit from more bandwidth than what 3.0 provides. I don't think now though.

Does the GPU even need bandwith of current 3.0 or maybe the upcoming 4.0 ?
But I've seen reviews / benchmark , some old articles , seems like actually 2.0 vs 3.0 there's almost no difference....in fact certain situation the 2.0 even ran slightly faster ! I meant for GPU that is.

Or maybe this new 4.0 it's more for Multi GPU setup purpose?

Back