• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broke a blade on my fan, need a replacement. What's new, what should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want to save a bit of money and have a decent fan, get a 92mm Vantec Tornado and adjust it with a fan controller to your preferences if you find it too loud.

Yuriman said:
I would go with one of the fans below. They've treated me well. You need an 80mm, right?

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa80ulhisp.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de80trblhisp.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de80tfexhisp.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sadedcpeace8.html <- you can find a better price

I've owned all of the above fans (lower speed models) and have been very happy with them. I'm using a Sanyo Denki in my side panel, and a Panaflo in the back of my case. The Deltas, being 38mm, will have higher pressure and would do very well on a heatsink. They will probably produce a bit more motor noise per CFM than the Panaflo and SD though.

Agreed with all these choices. If the Deltas are too loud, you could easily 7v or attach a rheostat to them to tone the noise down a bit.
The Sanyo Denki is also a very nice choice. The pressure won't be as good as the Deltas, but the quality is still top-notch.

c627627, I have the 92mm high speed Delta 3 blade fan and it's noise is slightly lower than the 80mm TT SmartFan 2 that you broke the blade on and it works wonderfully on heatsinks. It's also much quieter than the focused flow FFB or TFB Delta fans and doesn't have the high pitched whine of the focused flow types. And if you use a fan controller, you can further reduce the noise (and airflow of course). I would highly recommend this fan for your heatsink. It's a little bit pricey, especially if you need to buy a fan controller too, but Delta's fans are very high quality and last seemingly forever. I have some 4-5 year old FFB 80mm Deltas that have been in continuous service since new and they are still run as good as when I bought them and no problems with bearings wearing out.

There are better fans but I happen to be looking at these because they're availabale:

Delta AFB0812VHB
80mm x 15mm 39.2 CFM but only 39 dBA

vs.

Delta EFB0812HHE
80mm x 38mm 60.03 CFM @ 45.5 dBA

vs.
Delta EFB0912SHF
92mm x 32mm Flow 87.50 CFM @ 47 dBA

Last edited:
Can you post why that's better than

20.55 CFM at 1300 rpm 17 dB
variable all the way to
75.7 CFM at 4800 rpm 48 dB
(Smart Fan 2)
Keep in mind that nothing's going to beat that because of the way Tt inflates their specs. Any fan from a good manufacturer with similar airflow will almost certainly be quieter.

can you get an adaptor for a bigger fan or does that not work with a slk900?
its been so long since i have seen one, granted i just upgraded my 2400+ but i was using a zalman flower and a 120mm NMB fan

No it fits. There are other better Deltas but the one I got, the 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan is allowing me to go at least 100 Athlon XP MHz higher.

All these years I thought it was the heatsink but man, the fan makes a big difference too.

I need to test for stability of course but I could not do more than 2.4 GHz with 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 fully stable.

I am now running at 100 MHz higher AND 0.5 volts higher AND the temperature is lower than with Thermaltake Smart Fan 2.

My case is also cooler thanks to me not using "FAN ONLY" power supply connectors which regulated the fan speed and increased my case temperature all these years :(...

[200] FSB x 12.5 = 2500 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.6 Vdd
Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with with 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan
AIW 9600XT 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower2 TPII-380
Five 80x25mm Case Fans

I'm glad to hear that your Delta is working out so well for you. I've been of Delta's fans for several years now. They are one of the honest fan manufacturers that doesn't inflate their cfm numbers or deflate their dB numbers.

Glad to hear your results kicked some arse :attn:

I'm sure we had the best intentions on getting you a better overclock and cooler CPU :D

Back