• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD LEADS TO PROBS!!! :confused:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmAn

I was on Cnet and looking for a good registry backup/cleanup tool

so i find a program on there and i use it first i backup my registry then i use the cleaning/optimize tool to well clean and optimize it right?

After first reboot i got the BSOD and at the top had a registry key at the top
HKEY_MACHINE

i dont remember the rest

so i restart hopeing that was a onetime thing and now when i try to boot when it tries to get the logon screen i get an error!!!

INTERACTIVE LOGON INIZILATION HAS FAILED

Please consult the event log for details.

OMG NOW WHAT TO DO?!!?!?!?

So i restart and try to boot in safe mode to try and import the backup copy of the registry i made and i get the same error when its time to log in!!!!

what is wrong and how can i fix it or am i stuck with reinstalling vista

and would i be able to recover my files?:bang head :bang head :confused: :mad:

http://www.download.com/Advanced-Registry-Optimizer/3640-2086_4-10660961.html?v=1
I have already seen a review pop up saying there is a virus in it!!!

***update***

stupid me posted this without remembering that i can get on the system recovery through my vista o/s disc lol
So now the record is
Microsoft ..............ME
1 .....................15

Last edited:
Seems like the cleaning tool take a very minimalist approach. :cool:

The first thing to do is take a deep, deep breath.

The second thing to do is a repair installation if such a thing is available.

If that fails, it's still possible to recover your data. More on that when you get there.

EmAn said:
stupid me posted this without remembering that i can get on the system recovery through my vista o/s disc lol
So now the record is
Microsoft ..............ME
1 .....................15

^^^ that was the update that meant i got it to work again i didnt see any other posts so i just updated that one but i figure to just bring it down

For future reference, good cleaning tools are
CCLeaner
and the old, free version of RegCleaner (do a search - you're looking for v4.3).

There are probably better ones then RegCleaner 4.3 now (it's relativitly old, and now is part of a paid suite, but looks very disfunctional in it's latest paid incarnations), but I haven't put the effort in finding them.

If you have Vista Ultimate, you could try the Complete PC Backup. You can clone the HDD to a few DVDs, and restore your computer just as easily as system restore, but more complete. I did a CPCR after a fresh install and activation, now I never have to do a fresh install or activate the new install ever again (other than hardware changes).

That's why cleaning tools suck. Having dead links the the registry doesn't cause a performance hit, so there's no point in messing with it and risking your system. If you really want to clean your registry regedit's the best way to do it. Clean it by hand. That way you know exactly what your removing.

johnz said:
If you really want to clean your registry regedit's the best way to do it. Clean it by hand. That way you know exactly what your removing.

This only works if you have any Idea of what you are doing...

Mark620 said:
This only works if you have any Idea of what you are doing...

That's kind of the point. If you're using automated tools you have no idea what they're doing. If you can't do it by hand, you shouldn't mess with the registry at all.

Registry cleaners are snake oil anyway. I challenge anyone to come up with benchmarks to show anything is improved by cleaning, or defragmenting the registry.

I go into the registry - and do a clean-up - after I remove a program...

Mark620 said:
I go into the registry - and do a clean-up - after I remove a program...

See, that's legit. You know what your doing, and you know exactly what you're removing. I don't think it makes a difference, but if you want to do house cleaning that's the way it should be done.

Back