• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD many different errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vwchris11

Hello all and thank you in advance. I have a new build and have been getting many blue screens. mostly when play a game but sometimes when downloading an update or even in internet explorer. It is a fresh install of windows 7 premium 64 bit. The most common error is memory managment. I ran memtest86 for 11 hours with 0 errors. I have attached my minidumps. I believe i uploaded them correctly using 7-zip. Again thank you very much for any help. This has become a very frustrating experience for me.

Attachments

• Minidump.7z
    135.2 KB · Views: 29
Off-hand, it almost sounds like a compatibility issue but without more info, I couldn't say. It would be helpful if you listed your build specs...

sorry i didnt think of that

ASUS M4A89GTD

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Nvidia 9800gt ( i know its old )

i get the same errors with the on board graphics card as well so i dont think it has anything to do with that.

also internet explorer "stops working" constantly. im not sure if that is related.

Okay, got it figured out, not too hard if there is a fix on your motherboard - Asus mobos sometimes have a "mem-okay" button which attempts to fix that kind of issue.
Here is the issue (I did a little research).
It is a compatibility issue. The Ram chips you have installed (probably good in their own right) on your mobo are not listed on the motherboard's QVL (Qualified Vendor List). Using ram which isn't in the QVL will not necissarily cause bad things to happen but (as it seems in your case) it can.
Two options here;
1) If your mobo has a "mem-okay" button, use it, see if you stabilize
or
2) Replace with ram from the QVL list

About the QVL: The QVL usually takes up a great portion of your motherboard's manual Those products listed (exactly to model number - gotta check ALL those letters and numbers) are guaranteed to work properly with that motherboard. There may be a number of reasons a product is not included (unavailable to test, unstable, stable but run too hot, etc...) so just because it isn't on the list doesn't mean it won't work, it's just not guaranteed to.

that makes sense, i did not know that motherboards didnt like certain kinds of ram. everything seemed to be pointing to bad memory yet they kept passing the tests. thank you very much for your help. :D

No problem. As I pointed out, Asus mobos sometimes have a fix built in (Mem-okay or something like it)... yes, the issue is common enough that they build in a 'fix' beforehand!
It is always best though to check compatibility through the QVL as those 'fixes' can sometimes be short-lived in themselves.
Personally, as a matter of habit, right after I select my motherboard, I look at the QVL (it is available on-line through all manufacturers specific to each motherboard - that's how I found yours) and then look at the availability and prices of the ram listed, then select the ram.
I have had my own ram issues in the past.

i just tried the memok! again but it is still giving me issues. im going to order a new set of ram from the list. thanks again

i just got my new (compatible) ram in the mail today and it seemed to have fixed my problems. i've been doing things that usually made it crash and it has yet to do it. im so relieved, i cant thank you enough :clap::clap::clap:

Back