• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on new build after initial driver installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
I have been trying to fix/diagnose this new build non stop for the last two days and just can't get out of the woods. It was initially having problems with memory (still is I believe) as only channel three is working with 1 stick of 8gb memory. We believed it may be because my memory is "overclocked" to 2400 right now and my mobo may only recognize 2133 so I changed that in BIOS.

Anyways... I finally got to the point where I can install some drivers (by using my other computer, and loading the drivers manually on a USB) and then transferring that usb to my new build. Anyways... after installing the main drivers anyone would start with such as usb3/usb3.1 and LAN (I am actually on the new build now) my initial thought is to make a restore point and then restart the computer to just start fresh essentially.

Upon restart the computer gets a BSOD and I am forced to load an older restore point (luckily) so this time I just installed the LAN driver to make this post. My fear is that once I restart or turn my computer off I'll be back to square one... BSOD and I'm just lost at this point. Currently looking at my mob I have memory in slots 1 and 3 and only channel 3 is working. I fear that once I reboot I will get a memory error and start the loop over. I'm just happy that at this exact moment I can at least get LAN installed to talk to you guys.

Any help please?

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming-7
i7 6700k
2x4gb Averxir Ram Part#AVD4UZ124001608G-2COR
Win7

Welcome back to the forums cctaylor88!

A couple of things occur to me: list all of your components for this build; that would help tremendously. For initial set-ups it's best to assemble everything outside this case, if you haven't already done so. Makes tinkering easier.

Have you installed the MB media supplied with the GA-Z170X? Checked the proper seating of the RAM? Just some first considerations.....

I had a similar problem a while back.

Try taking the hard drive out of SATA mode (in bios) and booting in IDE mode.

This should get you into Windows (it will take a long time to boot).

Then install the newest motherboard and SATA drivers from the website.

Reboot a few times as is required.

Then you can switch back to SATA mode in BIOS.

I had a similar problem a while back.

Try taking the hard drive out of SATA mode (in bios) and booting in IDE mode.

This should get you into Windows (it will take a long time to boot).

Then install the newest motherboard and SATA drivers from the website.

Reboot a few times as is required.

Then you can switch back to SATA mode in BIOS.

yeah I am able to get into windows and install the LAN driver (luckily, as thats what is allowing me to get on the internet) but anything beyond the LAN driver and it throws the system into a BSOD. I Just updated the BIOS to the latest version on the website as well. I'm pretty lost here.

do you have only what is needed to run the rig installed.
1 stick of ram.
only the drive for the operating system installed and so on so on.
windoze is very sloppy about where it puts stuff.

only one ram slot is working?
try all ram sticks in all slots one at a time and report back please.

only one ram slot is working?
try all ram sticks in all slots one at a time and report back please.
Sorry for the delay, so I now have both sticks of RAM installed and recognized, essentially when I load up Win7 I install the LAN driver to get here (on the internet) and a few other drivers "killer ethernet" and the Intel INF (I believe thats what its called) but as soon as I install the Intel USB Drivers (like 3.0)... BSOD. And I then have to revert to a restore point.

I'm kind of at a loss here because if I can't install my own chipset/platform drivers (intel) then where else am I to turn?

I will say.. and I just kind of realized this isn't a fresh OS install. I took the OS SSD from my previous build (it was in fact AMD) but there isn't much on it besides the OS etc. I haven't done a fresh install for some time and completely forget how to go about it. But from what I gather Win10 is the direction I should look?

Glad you figured it out. After a fresh install of Win7, register it online, then go to MS' website for the WinTen of your choosing.

Glad you figured it out. After a fresh install of Win7, register it online, then go to MS' website for the WinTen of your choosing.

Well thats where I'm stuck... I haven't done a fresh OS install forever. I have a virtually blank SSD I can use tho...Just forget how to boot off the SSD

I do have a Win7 Disk... I don't have a DVD read/write installed on this computer bc there are no 3.5" bays included. So now I Have a USB DVD writer...but my computer isn't recognizing anything I plug into USB except mouse/keyboard. If I install the required drivers it will just BSOD

Back