• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD Related to Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slim Nelson

Registered
Hey everyone, I've had you guys help me in the past when I first built my computer and was having performance issues. You helped solve my issues which were related to my ram being installed and configured incorrectly.

Topic Here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/759358-My-new-build-isn-t-up-to-par/page2

Everything has been great since, no performance issues at all. Just one minor hiccup which was just today. I had a random BSOD while playing music. I opened it up in BlueScreenView then searched for a solution online, a couple forums suggested it was related to either bad memory or misconfigured memory.

View attachment 172391

My ram is Crucial Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory Modules BLS2K8G3D169DS3/BLS2C8G3D169DS3.
Product link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWR3I2G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02

So I opened up Speccy again like I did back in May when you guys were helping me and compared the Ram specifications just to make sure everything is still in order. It turns out that the settings have been reverted back to 11-11-11-28 again. So simply enough, like before, I manually changed the ram timings to 9-9-9-24 once more.

I just changed the settings and everything is running fine, no issues. Although, I didn't notice issues before besides that BSOD so I wonder how long it's been since they were changed back to 11-11-11-28. So just to make sure, if someone doesn't mind to verify that my ram settings are all correct. Only thing I see that could possibly be needing to be changed is the DRAM frequency but I'm not completely sure.

MemInfo.png

MemInfoContinued.png

Instead of manually setting the timings, why don't you set the XMP profile? XMP is a set and forget and will run the memory at it's programmed specs.

Oh, hmm. My Bios has profiles in it, but they are Overclocking Profiles it says.

I just checked around and that board doesn't have XMP profile in the memory tab. That really is the bottom of the barrel board. Your best bet is to set the voltages and timings manually as you stated.

One BSOD isn't the end of the world so don't worry about it. Now if you have multiple BSOD's, then that's a reason for concern.

Yeah, it's a little cheaper than most. Haha.

And yeah, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, just wanted to see if someone can verify that my main memory specifications are correct. I think my frequency might be a little lower than what it was before.

Last edited:
you want 9-9-9-24-39 and with 16 gigs you might raise the dram voltage up to 1.55

Okay, I changed the 26 to a 39.

And oh yeah.. I forgot that last time, I upped the DRAM voltage to 1.55.

Thanks again Caddi.

AMD boards have in general problems with 8GB modules. Other thing is that AMD is not supporting XMP profiles ( or some timings are different ). You have to play with the timings on your own. I can only tell you that tRFC has to be high like ~300 ( I don't know what options you have on your board but usually it's 160 and next 300 ). Other timings depend from memory itself.
Also try to bump CPU-NB voltage a bit what may stabilize memory controller.

I appreciate your input Woomack. That is all great to know. I'm going to try what you suggest.

And since AMD boards have issues with 8GB modules, I should try to sell my 2 8GB sticks and get 4 4GB sticks. I could utilize both channels that way too.

You should be utilizing both channels with the 2 sticks you have now, unless you have them in the wrong slots.

I wouldn't sell 2x8GB but try to set it manually to 1600, maybe at more relaxed timings than are in XMP profile ( 9-10-9 or something like that ).
8GB modules on new chips are simply higher capacity than older modules. I think that AMD boards are not prepared for that as most manufacturers ended BIOS support long time ago or add only really important updates. On the other hand new 4GB modules are exactly the same but memory chips are on one side of the PCB instead of both sides so switching to 4x4GB may or may not help in this case.
It's not 100% sure that memory is causing issues. It's just my theory as I had various issues with 8GB modules on 990FX boards, especially Microns ( which are in Crucial memory ).

Before you sell your 2x8GB kit, check manual settings:
1333 9-9-9 1.50-1.55V
1600 9-9-9 1.50-1.55V
1600 9-10-9 1.50-1.55V
1600 9-10-10 1.50-1.55V
1600 10-10-10 1.50-1.55V
1600 10-11-10 1.50-1.55V

tRFC manually to 300. You can also add +0.1V to CPU-NB. It shouldn't be required but maybe will help.

Back