• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BTX and heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not saying changes wouldn't be welcome or a bad thing at all - there are some changes that are going to be necessary, but I do not believe (many others do as well that know a lot about BTX) that BTX is not the answer. It's very flawed and really only benefits Intel in that they can sell processors that dissipate 150w+ and not have to go to the extreme's of water - which in my opinion should be what they're doing instead of going to 1kg+ stock heatsinks - that's just outrageous!

BTX is designed SOLEY to make up for Intel's thermal issues. The fact that bridge chips can be placed closer together is just a bonus. If you look at BTX cases, there is no airflow around any other componants like hard drives. The air comes in the front, cross the board, and out the back. That's it.

The only benefit BTX has for actual use is the cpu is lower in the case (but with good airflow or a duct, this point is void) and the core for the gpu faces up, allowing the heat to rise, rather than be recirculated under the video card.

The smaller formfactors are nice and the new cases, stylish - but really, who actually buys a computer, from say Best Buy, for looks?

Yes, but with dell and HP and other major manufacturers, Intel has the power. As long as people buy prefabd machines, the enthusiasts get to take a back seat.

It's sad, but people actually will buy computers almost solely for the looks, much less cooling or performance. The computer illiterate can't compare specs like actual CPU performance, RAM, and GPUs. All they got is "Oh my case looks cooler than yours" or "My processor has 3.4 GHz, and you only have 2.8, so mine's better".
The computer literate are a minority in the industry, therefore, a form factor like BTX would benefit the mainstream, 'cuz all they want are faster Intel processors, and wouldn't take the time to duct or mod. Cooling for other components mean nothing. As long as the CPU stays cool, Intel will be able to keep pulling out faster and faster processors.

Vadi said:
I heard that BTX will be used for small form factors and ATX will stay.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...erial=STC-T01&other_title=+STC-T01+CM Stacker

not exactly a small form factor. :D

pwnt by pat said:
I just got back from an Intel Channel Conference. They are starting to push btx in this quarter - lga only. I was talking with one of the reps about the socket, mainly the how close the capacitors are. He didn't give me really anything to actually answer my question but was more interested in watercooling as I mentioned the cap's position so close to the socket will really suck for heatsinks and waterblocks.

I'm going to be at the one here in Montreal on the 16th. Anything different from the spring one or pretty much the same thing? Just wondering if I should bother going. There's always somehtign interesting in the server part of the conference, but it always ends up getting cut short due to time. :(

on the subject of the XP-120, it will not work for BTX, the airflow is all wrong, plus mounting would be a nightmere. though i can see tower HS, like the coolermaster hyper 6, working well with the duct system of BTX. hmmm... wonder if u turn an SP-94 90 degrees and....

also something like the shuttle XPS ICE cooling system could work, a large rad fed by heatpipes

ATX had improvements over AT. BTX is just a rearrangement of the board, for the most part.

Last edited:
The fact that Intel is pushing it or developed the standard is not the issue. The fact that it's heavily flawed and very unnecessary is the issue. Now, if the changes were as drastic as the move from AT to ATX and they were actually very beneficial, then sure, that would be great. But the fact is that BTX is just unnecessary and really only needed for cooling super hot chips, which as we've seen, is turning out to be a problem no matter what is done.

Wouldn't be surprised if Intel made BTX their future mobo standard, while AMD and older Intel CPUs stays with ATX, which would futher differentiate Intel and AMD.
I highly doubt BTX will catch on the mainstream.

I'm going to be at the one here in Montreal on the 16th. Anything different from the spring one or pretty much the same thing? Just wondering if I should bother going. There's always somehtign interesting in the server part of the conference, but it always ends up getting cut short due to time.

I wouldn't know. I just got hired like three weeks ago. That was my first. Nice prizes though.

Wouldn't be surprised if Intel made BTX their future mobo standard, while AMD and older Intel CPUs stays with ATX, which would futher differentiate Intel and AMD.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened however as Intel has a larger market share, when they start to push BTX only, case manufacturers will be forced into it or bought out, thus forcing AMD into BTX.

The relative positions of the CPU and DIMM sockets on BTX isn't friendly to on-die memory controllers. You won't see AMD on BTX anytime soon.

I see BTX complicating the use of alternate cooling solutions. The CPU will be very near the intake, and a shrouded "cooling unit" channelling air through a HSF is assumed. The fan will fill in the space between heatsink and case side. Of course case manufacturers will provide intakes that interface well with these duct-like cooling units. Other cooling solutions will get in the way.

Back