• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BTX and heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i hope amd get teamd up with a mobo company like asus or abit and makes there own mobo style that fits ATX or BTX mounting brakcet so cases dont have to have differnt mounting holes

Though not perfect, I think BTX is alot better than the alternativ. ATX sucks! If you want good cooling and airflow through an ATX case you need 5-6 fans and the air has to move around corners and over graphics cards and stuff. BTX has the potential to cool CPU, GPU, NB, SB & mem on a stright line (one or two fans in a duct is all you need) and I cant wait for the day ATX is gone.

The one thing I see that I don't like is the whole video card riser thing. I'm already angry that my video card isn't physically stable enough in the current horizontal ATX form, I don't know how I could handle having my video card hanging upside down or however it would be hanging.

JohnDoemakt mabey its cuz you dont know how to air cool?
i use 1 92mm cpu fan and 2 case fans (stealths and my temps are 28C idle and 45C load)

nice link but i would stay witht he stock it would cool better (its solid copper and looks bigger to me and i think it has a 92mm but might be a 120mm any whay beats those.

syberspy9 said:
JohnDoemakt mabey its cuz you dont know how to air cool?
i use 1 92mm cpu fan and 2 case fans (stealths and my temps are 28C idle and 45C load)
Im talking total number of fans, not casefans. With ATX you need frontinntake, rearexhaust, CPU, GPU, NB and thats often minimal. BTX can do the same with one or two large fans.

JohnDoemakt said:
Though not perfect, I think BTX is alot better than the alternativ. ATX sucks! If you want good cooling and airflow through an ATX case you need 5-6 fans and the air has to move around corners and over graphics cards and stuff. BTX has the potential to cool CPU, GPU, NB, SB & mem on a stright line (one or two fans in a duct is all you need) and I cant wait for the day ATX is gone.

ATX might not be good enough but BTX is less than an improvement, maybe AMD will come up with a redesigned version of ATX thats friendly to the architecture of their chips...

I have built two cases using "pseudo-BTX" layout ( ala the Lian-Li V series and the Siverstone "TJ-106 Windtunnel") and, although the motherboards were just rotated/reversed ATX's, can offer my observations regarding the general layout as it impacts case cooling.

Firstly, the video cards love it.
Being flipped over, the "hot" side is now on top and cooling becomes more rational and efficient.
This may not be the case with a true BTX board, but it works well on a standard ATX formfactor and makes me wonder why video card makers insist on trapping the hot components on the underside of current cards.

The bottom CPU socket placement is neither an advantage nor a hindrance.
The same issues of providing cooling air and removing the hot waste air need to be addressed and the new location doesn't really change the methods used to do so.
From a watercooling perspective ( my current rig-under construction-is h2o) there is the (somewhat) significant advantage of easier tube routing and, in case of disaster, leaks from the waterblock don't dribble down the rest of the board, but fall right to the casefloor.

Anther nice benefit ( which may not be found on a true BTX board) is that the SATA headers are now at the top of the motherboard and the SATA cables can be much shorter and less obvious...no longer need you string them across the total height of the board to reach the drives...in fact, finding cables short enough can be problematical.

I realize that these findings are based on a bastardized version of BTX, but feel that the general impressions are valid.
Personally, I have never bought into the "case airflow" theory, preferring instead to target specific problem areas with individual cooling solutions rather than hope that a theoretical airstream will meander around to do the work, so the placement of the HSF is really of no great import to me anyway.

Last edited:
JohnDoemakt said:
Im talking total number of fans, not casefans. With ATX you need frontinntake, rearexhaust, CPU, GPU, NB and thats often minimal. BTX can do the same with one or two large fans.

well my gpu and NB are passive cooling and my dual fan psu is silent you cant even hear it when i turn off al my other fans.
so i would say the olnly fans that count are my 92 mm on my cpu and my 2 120mm on my case.

i find my rig fine and as lots of ppl ahve sais that it doesnt matter about btx cuz th ecaps ar eto close and the improvemnt is minal.

we will have to see untill it comes out and others spend there money to see if its worth it before i go and buy a new pc.

ugh i wish asus and abit would just come up with a new mobo style that was like AMS (A Motherboard Series)

any way we can talk all we want but we haveto wait and see because the final product might have the caps moved and otehr things fixed.

Ugh syber, at least edit your posts for proper grammar and spelling... :bang head

I'm glad clocker was able to bring his personal experience into the mix, to have an idea of how BTX will do. The video card is the main problem area on ATX, and BTX at least has the GPU fans facing TOWARDS the airflow (Is there some reason NVidia and ATI face theirs down and away from airflow?).
Other than that, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference. At least not what two 120/150 mm fans on the back and front couldn't do.
I spose we'll find out once BTX goes "gold". :eh?:

i refuse to buy a system desigend to feed my ram, chipset, and video exaust from my cpu....whats up with that?

IWasHungry said:
Ugh syber, at least edit your posts for proper grammar and spelling... :bang head

I'm glad clocker was able to bring his personal experience into the mix, to have an idea of how BTX will do. The video card is the main problem area on ATX, and BTX at least has the GPU fans facing TOWARDS the airflow (Is there some reason NVidia and ATI face theirs down and away from airflow?).
Other than that, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference. At least not what two 120/150 mm fans on the back and front couldn't do.
I spose we'll find out once BTX goes "gold". :eh?:

Ya sorry i just got Word i tonight so i will edit them before posting.

Back