• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build around SFF Barebone or from scratch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

I have been thinking about it, but I am nowhere near deciding and my final verdict will be around October 1st (my birthday). My question is simply would it be better (quality-wise) to build an SFF box from scratch or from a barebone system. My other question is would it be better (price-wise) to build an SFF box from scratch or from a barebone system. The age old quality versus price issue.

I have seen many Shuttle barebones systems being built around here, and not many non-barebones, so either the quality or the price is right. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but I would vote for barebones.

Building from a barebones is much cheaper since the selection of motherboards in that size range is very VERY slim and what you'll most likely find in comnparable specifications will be made for industrial applications. And therefore will have a higher price tag.

Go with barebones.

Get a nice Shuttle XPC SN25P SFF barebone and build from their. I'd put a 3500+ Venice or a 3700+ san diego with a x800xl and a 320gb WD hd as that hard drive is quiet and runs really cool.

-1cem4n

whats an SFF? BTW, having a final verdict that far away is very wise

I built a Shuttle SB83G5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101456 for dedicated DAW use (Digital Audio Workstation), and it is killer. The Barebones system, 1 Gig of DDR400 DC RAM, a 775 P4 3.0E, a Lite-On 8x DVD-RW DL along with XP-Home was a hair more than $700 IIRC. I already had the HD and monitor. I could not be happier with it. Really quiet, and really "cool looking" in my rack full of Mic Preamps and AD/DA converters :) (I mounted mine on a 5U Aluminum Rack Shelf, and put my Logitec Wireless Station/Recharger next to it on the shelf for "on location" recording purposes)

rack26qy.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
Back