• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Check - 5930K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

Selling off my alienware and putting together my first rig in 9 years. Not up on the info like I used to be, so just want to make sure I'm not buying anything that's a known lemon, or have some stupid compatibility issues.

CPU: 5930K (Already have)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970
Board: MSI X99S Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 (4x4GB) <-- Going to upgrade to 128GB as soon as prices get reasonable.
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850
Case: Fractal Define R4

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

I already have the 5930K, and I need the cores for photoshop and rendering. I do freelance game art on the side and have been working on my own project for 4 years now. Having a game engine, photoshop, blender and a browser all going across three screens requires horsepower.

As for storage, I should have mentioned that I have 8 2.5 drives and a 120 EVO SSD ready to go.

I think what Bob is getting at is that basically the 5820K and 5930K are differenciated by an extra 12 PCIE 3.0 lanes for a total of 40 vs 28. That's about it. The only reason to get the 5930K is for 4 way SLI. The 5820K can run 3 cards at 8X which is not a bottleneck on anything out there right now all the way up to the 980. Considering that the 5930K is significantly more expensive than it's little brother...

Anyways, you already have it. I would urge you strongly to stay away from MSI boards. They use pretty darn crappy power delivery components and their boards are generally just not as good as ASUS or Gigabyte or even ASRock. Their Extreme 4 is in the same price range as your MSI board was and I would take the ASRock board over the MSI in a heartbeat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...43&cm_re=X99_extreme_4-_-13-157-543-_-Product

Really though, I personally, with X99, would consider a high end board. Something like an X99 Deluxe, Rampage V Extreme, G1. Those are really good boards. I wouldn't personally put a $600 CPU in a $200 board. But that's just me.

Ya, the price creeps up with every little upgrade, I can technically afford it but I'm married and we're renovating our house. The processor came from retail edge, I only had the choice of the 4790K or the 5930K, but I paid a fraction of what they cost.

I was looking at Asus to begin with, but I've seen a tonne of bad reviews for them, mostly talking about DOA or one week deaths. Asus is usually solid, but I haven't found too much good reported for x99.

I'll take a hard look over these boards again, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Nice! Id get a 5930k from retail edge if I could do that :)

The evga boards seem to be well regarded from my research. Check out the review of the FTW model on the front page.

I'd be looking to grab the ASRock X99 OC Formula.
It'll perform with any of the high dollar boards.

Any idea what justifies the $40 difference between the OC Formula and the Fatal1ty X99X? I'm looking through the specs and there's nothing really noticeable.

Edit: It's E-ATX, so won't fit in my case Asus X99-Pro is the front runner now.

CPU: 5930K (Already have)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 (At this point, why not)
Board: Asus X99-Pro
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 (4x4GB)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850
Case: Fractal Define R4

Last edited:
Note that the Fatal1ty X99X Killer and X99 Extreme6 are very similar except the color and LAN chipset.
Don't know if you'd prefer blue over red, but I just wanted to point that out.

Note that the Fatal1ty X99X Killer and X99 Extreme6 are very similar except the color and LAN chipset.
Don't know if you'd prefer blue over red, but I just wanted to point that out.

You're right, same price too. I moved away from ASRock because I found negative threads dealing with OC issues.

Edit: It's E-ATX, so won't fit in my case Asus X99-Pro is the front runner now.

Get an EATX case :p

I've wanted that case for a couple years now, so no. :p

It's crazy that there are so many issues with all these X99 boards, it makes choosing feel more like roulette than anything.

Last edited:
Back