• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for Aussie friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So my Australian friend wants help building a computer. He wants to play Fallout 4 in 4k (maximum, he might just game in 1440p) and that is the highest end game he told me he plays.

Already has a GTX 1080, the monitor, and his case choice is http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/4wW9TW/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4bl

so I don't want to screw with that because cases are so subjective (unless there are compatibility issues)

He does want to overclock and his budget is equivalent to $2200 USD (3000 AUD), of course under is better. No AMD. (Because I'll be helping him overclock and I dont know stuff about AMD)

He does NOT want LEDs on anything, and does not care about aesthetics.

This is what he has so far (https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/fbL9vV)

He chose that SSD because its the one I have and I've been bragging in the teamspeak about how fast it is, lol. I'm going to stick him with a 960 PRO I think.

Little help on the mobo? Thoughts?

EDIT: He's thinking of a 1TB 960 PRO (no HDD he doesn't have a lot of crap)

Is the "Current" build his or yours? The build in the signature is a killer build for 4k computing. If you or he don't like AMD video then go with the new Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti.

XD that build is mine. He's building a new computer (I think it's his first he's only 19)

He already has a GTX 1080 (GTX 1080ti prices are far too inflated in Australia and with price gougers it harms that even more)

At some point he may want to consider picking up a second gtx 1080 if he's gaming on 4k.

7600 or 7700k. If gaming is his main thing then the 7600k will do just as good as the 7700k and will save him some money.

16 gb of GSkill DDR4 3200

Actually, there are a lot of good choices for a motherboard and you don't have to spend a lot on that component to get a good one for the intended purpose. $150 USD in the US would should be plenty but he isn't in the US. Where will he be buying his parts from. That would be helpful so we can go there on line and see what Aussi prices are.

I would tell him to put his money on good cooling since that will pay dividends for overclocking. Will his case accommodate a 2x120 or 3x120 or a 2x140 AIO water cooling kit?

Boy, I don't like his choice or cases. Too limiting as far as cooling goes.

Back