• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for Inventer 2014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, that's what I thought when I looked them up. There's no way I would pay more than $30-35 per TB of spinning disk space, nowadays. Simply no need to have a 7200 RPM device for storing pictures of the fam :)

The build in question seems to have been for a special application niche, "Inventor" software of which I'm not familiar. Maybe it's a pretty demanding app like some of the high end Photoshop stuff. The price of spinners has gone up a little lately it seems to me. Maybe just a seasonal fluctuation. Unless WD get's on the SSD bandwagon their sales are going to diminish as the demand for spinners is not what it used to be. For the life of me, I can't figure out why WD has been so slow in entering the SSD market. They're turning out to be like Kodak was when people were all going from film cameras to digital photography.

Last edited:
Inventor is just a offset of autodesk. Not horribly demanding, but a good cpu (8350) would be useful.

Unless WD get's on the SSD bandwagon their sales are going to diminish as the demand for spinners is not what it used to be. For the life of me, I can't figure out why WD has been so slow in entering the SSD market. They're turning out to be like Kodak was when people were all going from film cameras to digital photography.

Do they own an SSD manufacturer? Like how Toshiba owns OCZ now?

Do they own an SSD manufacturer? Like how Toshiba owns OCZ now?

Not that I know of but it just seems they would have made some kind of move like that a long time ago or become their own SSD manufacturer. WD would have had those kind of resources I should think unless the flood a couple years ago in Thailand really sidetracked them financially more than I had realized. Seagate is even putting out SSD drives with their own brand. For years WD has been the top spinner drive company IMO and I would have thought they would have anticipated the shift to SSD better than they did.

Inventor is just a offset of autodesk. Not horribly demanding, but a good cpu (8350) would be useful.

Seems that you don't know the program too well it is for 3d drafting and is very demanding. The saved file sizes are total hogs.

As requested i am looking for the actual invoices from newegg.com ..

Seems that you don't know the program too well it is for 3d drafting and is very demanding. The saved file sizes are total hogs.

As requested i am looking for the actual invoices from newegg.com ..

I wasn't aware. I thought it was similar to Revit. :shock: My bad.

Ok total cost on the build was 1650.00 so I was actually under the 1800.00 I stated.....

Next Question.....what to do with it? add another R9 270 vid card and an ssd...?

Water cooling would be more useful than a 2nd 270. That or sell/return the 270 and get a bigger fish

While I don't like the idea of getting a second 270, I don't think watercooling would have more benefit here.

The GPU is woefully underpowered for 1080P gaming, so that should remain the focus.

While I don't like the idea of getting a second 270, I don't think watercooling would have more benefit here.

The GPU is woefully underpowered for 1080P gaming, so that should remain the focus.

He's running the stock cooler dude. An h100i will allow him to actually overclock the thing ...

It obviously depends on whether he's gaming or if he's just using it for something that stresses the CPU.

In general, though, putting $100 into a better GPU would give him a much bigger bump in performance than putting the $100 into a CPU cooler in order to go from 4Ghz to 4.5.

Well in all honesty I don't do alot of gaming mostly mmo's like everquest II and planetside II. That being said the stock cooler gets annoying as hell when it spins up. I now have two systems running the fx8350 cpu ...the build for my dad and my signature system. Still running the same monitor acer 24" so the gpu at present is just fine..

If the 270 is enough for you, then by all means, wait it out. I'd go for a higher end air cooler before I'd go for an h100i, honestly. Thermalright true 140 is around half the price. Just make sure the one you pick will fit in your case. Same deal if you do get the aio cooler.

Your mmos will greatly benefit from overclocking.

I have a 270x, and I'm cpu bound until 4.4-4.5ghz on planet side 2. On huge battles it's even more, around 4.7.

Looks like a good deal with the rebate.

Similar price and performance to the nh-d14 and beats the h100i by a bit in cooling and acoustic.

I'd still probably go with the good air cooler (noctua), but that's just me.

Back