• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] "Hella" -Adventures into watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LetterKilled

Registered
[Build Log] "Hella" -Adventures into watercooling (FINAL PICS!!! 4/2/2012)

Today I am going to show you my build log of the project I am currently working on. It is going to be a water cooled project that I have been planning for quite some time now. And as the pieces come in, I will update the log of what came in and where its going. First off, I would like to thank the people who have sold me some of their gear and a BIG thanks to EliteGeek91 over at the EVGA forums. AND A REALLY BIG THANK YOU TO DAVID FROM KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY for everything he has done and giving me the opportunity to work with him.
kingston_logo_0.jpg

Today I will be showing you the case that came in today. I was using the Cooler Master HAF 912 and came to the conclusion that this would NOT suffice. So for this I went with the NZXT Switch 810. This is my first Full Tower!
dsc4247u.jpg

I was afraid because when the box came, it was completely annihilated. But in fact the case itself was in tip top shape. Right away I noticed this thing was massive!!
dsc4249r.jpg

and I thought my 912 was big!! I put this all together at my work and I dont even know if its going to fit in my truck!!
dsc4250x.jpg

I said my goodbyes and started gutting out the case.
dsc4253y.jpg

dsc4254.jpg

This case pretty much swallowed up my hardware and made everything look so small
dsc4257.jpg

How ever I did run into one problem. the drive bays for the ssd and hard drives are a little funky.
dsc4259t.jpg

dsc4260l.jpg

as you can see there was no room to fit my SATA and power cables to it. After taking too much time on it I decided something had to go....
dsc4262p.jpg

and that worked perfectly.
cable management looks great, the back panel was a female dog though. but got everything just right.
dsc4265u.jpg

dsc4267o.jpg

Everything is working perfect and the airflow in this bad boy is amazing. So until my parts come in which is pretty darn soon, this is all I got for you guys. hope you enjoyed it just as much as I did. Soon the case modding will be up!

LK

A few updates.

Got some of the water cooling parts in. I am waiting for the RAD and the pump and the GPU block to get here in the mail.

418x700px-LL-994e0e67_IMAG0162.jpeg
dsc4346v.jpg

And now the modding begins!
dsc4331u.jpg

making a rough cut
dsc4334.jpg

this is why I hate cutting plastic...it smells so damn bad! my Dremel was busted so the only speed it works on is #2 so when trying to cut, it melts the plastic..and it sucks! haha
dsc4336h.jpg

Now, this is right when I figured out I was missing my sanding bits. And at first I was like "meh, no one will notice" jk jk.
dsc4341x.jpg

Tomorrow I will start cutting some more and finish this little piece and then head to the plastic store to get some more things.

Today I thought I was going to be able to get a lot done but right after I finished a little part...it started raining. and had to put it on hold :(

dsc4347x.jpg

dsc4349w.jpg

Next is the top section. I have to cut this outside because of the smell and the crap that flies around. Rain rain go away

]Finally it stopped raining long enough for me to get this darn panel done.

dsc4351r.jpg

dsc4356v.jpg

and a big thanks to my little helper! Bear

dsc4355w.jpg

Hello hello! I finally got to a computer to do some updates. I took apart my computer for the 90th time and started some cutting and some mods. I also got a few goodies in the mail.

dsc4387k.jpg

dsc4392n.jpg

I figured if I'm going to go water cooled then I might as well do it right. Got some noiseblocker fans. 1800rpm. These are going to keep everything nice and cool.

I notice a lot of pics of other peoples Switch cases that when they were going W/C there is a bay drive that gets in the way and blocks more then half of a fan....so it had to go. this is where I'm talking about:

dsc4361s.jpg

and the crappy part is, you cant just remove it...so:

dsc4380c.jpg

WE CUT IT OUT!

dsc4383j.jpg

dsc4385y.jpg

with all that said and done; right after I submit this update it's time to work on this part

dsc4393l.jpg

LK

Alright!! now here is yet another update.

dsc4394t.jpg

Knocked out them teeth.
dsc4395k.jpg

annnnnnd finished!!
dsc4398y.jpg

now I just need to figure out what to do with that "chevy" sign lookin hole

Last edited:
hahah I spent about an hour trying every which-way. even if I put it the other way like you said, the power connecter would hit the wall not allowing the drive to go in all the way. it was lame. so I made it better. I heard a lot of people had problems with it.
thanks!
Ill be posting more here in a few hours I am hoping. :)

Oh, then that's a big design flaw. I have a case (Xigmatek Midgard-W) with a similar caddy and after a lot of headaches (WTF do I do with this thing?! It prevents me from installing power and SATA to this little Intel devil!?!?) I realized it was the other way around, and it fitted perfectly, plus it improved the cable management 8D.

AH finally I can update now that I'm at a computer. I tell you what...it sucks not having a computer! It's like I'm going through withdraws. Anyways, I got some more updates for you guys!

Finished the top part. I am still waiting on the sheet meddle I orders.

dsc4414w.jpg

I got all of my orders in finally!!! Take a look!

dsc4405h.jpg

dsc4406htku.jpg

dsc4407x.jpg

dsc4408m.jpg

dsc4409a.jpg

I also got my GPU block in and installed it!

dsc4413a.jpg

started to install stuff now.

dsc4415i.jpg

for some reason I counted wrong, and I'm short a fan

dsc4417r.jpg

I also got acrylic white pieces for the final mod I'll prolly be doing.

dsc4418v.jpg

dsc4419b.jpg

dsc4432tp.jpg

and here is a rough put together of where the acrylic is going. Just need to make some holes and take off the brown stuff.

dsc4427w.jpg

dsc4426w.jpg

stay tuned for the next update and thanks for all the nice comments and thanks for looking.

Also, I like to thank Kingston again for helping out!

kingston-logo.jpg

ALRIGHT!!! Time for the updates! I am 99% done. I am just waiting on Kingston to send their goodies and we are golden.
The mod panel came in so I was able to fit it into the cut pieces I did. The only flaw is I wish the website I got this from was a little more descriptive on their sheets. I wanted it with bigger holes but the one that came had way smaller holes then I thought. But it still looks great and cant really complain.
dsc4434.jpg

dsc4436.jpg

dsc4438c.jpg

dsc4439.jpg

It came out well I think. There's nothing really special to it...though when my creativity comes up with something it will prolly change.

SO here is what the front will look like. I kinda like how it goes from black to white, black to white.
dsc4445.jpg

Here is the last thing I needed to do with the acrylic.
dsc4452.jpg

dsc4455.jpg

Tonight is where all the magic happens and I will be putting everything in the case. Fillin her up with some D-water and hoping for the best.

Well this is coming around nicely :) love those holes you made in the front panel, perfect job! :thup:

I'm still brain farting on the what to do with the "Chevy" symbol on the top panel...Either cover it up or cut it.. but I just cant think of anything.

So last night I was up till 4am getting everything ready. It took way longer then I thought, but I didnt mind. With some trial and error and managed to get everything nice and pretty. I in fact did not get the chance to boot up the PC but I did get to bleed the system out for bubbles and what not.

The picks are NOT final. In some of the pics you can see a round shadow...sorry about that, I was shooting with my Ultra Wide angled lens and didnt feel like attaching my flash.
I will get better pics of the comp today/tomorrow and make it look real pretty for you guys/girls.

before I start I would like to say.....I HATE putting the tubing on!! haha

dsc4456.jpg

dsc4457.jpg

that alone took me like 2 hours to do. hahah
slow and steady wins the race right?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9923/dsc4462k.jpg[/mg]
[img]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/636/dsc4465m.jpg
dsc4466g.jpg

This pic below is where I set the white acrylic in place and made it to how it will be
dsc4469x.jpg

dsc4470c.jpg

dsc4471q.jpg

dsc4475l.jpg

dsc4477m.jpg

Alright, hopefully that will hold you off till tomorrow-ish when I can take some REAL PRO pics of the pretty comp.
I would also like to thank you all for the nice comments/ideas/help and thoughts. I couldnt have done it with out you. And another big THANK YOU to EliteGeek from the EVGA forums.

LK

Looks Great But I Would Plexi The PSU Might Keep Unwanted Heat Stored In There Along With Keeping That Pump Hot Too

that's how I actually set it up. there are two fans in the front. the box is high enough to where the top fan blows into the case while the bottom one blows air into the acrylic box. cooling the pump and psu. the psu also sucks air from the underneath the case.

as soon as I get home I'm taking some pics. got called into work for the whole weekend :(
I'm using a NIKON D7000 with a 16-20mm wide angle lens.

Well tomorrow/today (1 am here) is the computers big day. I finished up the cable management and it is ready for it's photo shoot. Although it is pretty much done, I think I might have a few things in mind...super little things, but those can wait. It will FINALLY be sunny so I promise I will have pics up

How did you assemble the two acrylic plates at the bottom? Are they screwed or glued together or just put together "loose" for easy takeout? :D

Alright the time has come to share the final pics (for now) of the case you have been watching grow.
I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to visit and sharing your thoughts and opinions. It really means a lot!!

dsc4487x.jpg

dsc4483v.jpg

dsc4489n.jpg

dsc4485t.jpg

dsc4488l.jpg

dsc4481.jpg

dsc4495q.jpg

dsc4484v.jpg

dsc4491ss.jpg

last but not least, ever awesome thing needs a hot chick by it to make it look even more awesome!
dsc4504l.jpg

hahaha well that was fun.
This mod will never be "finished" but for now, it's as far as I will take it.
thanks again for everything. I'll be around to answer any questions or what ever. and I'll update when i get an idea.

LK

Last edited:
Back