• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] Home Automation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just finished with a kitchen remodel. Used the same Giderwel Zigbee RBGWW LED for under cabinet lighting and cabinet toe-kick lighting...loved the way it turned out.

Under cabinet brightness set to 30%, toe-kick brightness set to 10%...both are set to 4000K white in this picture (and of course they can change colors too!)

I used a 45 degree channel (with diffuser lens) for both types. For the under cabinet lighting, the channel is at the front edge of the cabinets (i.e. away from the wall) and shines at the wall. For the toe-kick lighting, the channel is against the cabinet, and points towards the floor.

Ignore the messy kitchen and fridge...had just finished when I took the picture.

(The fridge is cool as it makes "craft ice". These are spherical ice cubes...crystal clear. Go great in a glass of brandy or bourbon was the reason we bought the fridge! It makes 3 of these ice cubes per day.)

Kitchen Craft Ice.jpg

Kitchen LEDs.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome Jr, nice!!!!!

I wish my fridge made those balls. I get two sizes (smaller in door, than the other in the freezer part), but not balls. :(

A friend has the ice ball maker in his fridge. He says it can make the 3 clear balls per day, or 6 less clear balls per day. I guess the setting depends on how frequently you have a whiskey on a rock. :)

I would find myself with a surplus using the 3 ball per day setting.

BTW, the kitchen and extra lighting look great!

Yeah - it does 3 clear ice balls per day, and 6 less clear ice balls per day. I keep it at the 3 ball setting as I like the look of the ice cubes better!

Couple of things here:

- Network: I'm using Ubiquiti UniFi networking gear, and have VPNs etc. setup...not a networking expert, but it's better than your average box
- Automation Z-Wave: Encrypted communications...not impossible, but difficult to hack
- Automation Zigbee: Encrypted communications...not impossible, but difficult to hack
- Camera Systems: Ubiquiti Protect gear...expensive, but solid cameras (fit nicely into my existing Ubiquiti network)
- Automation Controller: Sits on network and all automation is local communication only (i.e. no cloud, IFTT, etc.) External control for aps is via encrypted links for communication outside of network
- Automation Voice Control: Alexa can turn lights on and off, but cannot unlock locks, open garage doors, or change the status of the security system

I'm not using ADT as my automation controller, just as my security system. If the ADT isn't secure, than that's a much larger problem. The ADT system communicates status to the automation system, but the automation system cannot cause any change to the ADT system.

And, I don't trust an app to see if my garage is closed...have cameras for that!

Back