• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] Project Inkling - In Win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekred

Registered
Project Inkling.png

Hello Everyone and welcome to Project Inkling

I would like to give credit to In WIn for sponsoring this build with the beautiful 303c case and Polaris fans.

I was watching my son play his favorite game, Splatoon, and I thought it would be cool to do a splatter style theme. So I took to the web to see if anyone else has done it and I couldn't find anything. JP Modified did a small splatter effect on his latest In WIn X-frame 2.0 build but that was all I could find. Keeping with the same color scheme of white, lime green, neon pink, and black. I am trying something different and hope it turns out as well as I imagine. I have seen many great builds with many different color styles so I will do my best to keep up. The plan is to keep this as neat and clean as possible. Living in japan, I do not have access to materials or tools that I would have back home so I will do the best I can with what I have. I love the looks of this case so no major modifications planned. Hope you enjoy this build as much as me and follow along if you want. Here is the list of hardware I will be using in this build.

game-modes-char.png

Parts List.png

Case..................... In Win 303c RGB

CPU..................... AMD TR4 Threadripper 1950x

MOBO.................. Asus ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU..................... Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 (placeholder waiting to see new releases)

RAM.................... G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200

Storage............... Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 NMVe x 3, Toshiba 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB HHD

PSU..................... EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G1+ Modular

Fans.................... In Win Polaris RGB 120mm x 7

Watercooling....... TBD

Some photos of the parts I have received, enjoy!

_49B1095.jpg _49B1112.jpg _49B1114.jpg _49B1117.jpg _49B1121.jpg _49B1125.jpg _49B1132.jpg _49B1145.jpg _49B1162.jpg _49B1169.jpg

Last edited:
sweet!!!!!
I have two 1950x rigs, same ram but 128 gigs in each rig.
Please take a picture of the cpu in the palm of your hand so these guys can get an idea of how big it is.

sweet!!!!!
I have two 1950x rigs, same ram but 128 gigs in each rig.
Please take a picture of the cpu in the palm of your hand so these guys can get an idea of how big it is.

Lol wow 128gb? What do you do that you need that much? And yeah this thing is massive. I got a few photos to edit later so I'll it to the update

Updte: Test fit

Test fitting the motherboard and cutting a fake wall to clean things up. Not much to update as I am still waiting on parts to come in. For the cables, I had a few sets of phanteks custom extensions laying around and disassembled them to create my own. The reason one end doesn't have the connector is because im waiting on some that I ordered from Mod One in white. If anyone is curious this case is rated up to ATX motherboards according to their website and the x399 is E-ATX, however everything lined up perfectly. Still waiting on another 970 Evo to come in so im still debating if I should raid all 3 or boot off 1 and raid the other 2 separately..... Next week ill be busy with school work so I doubt Ill get a lot done, but I should be able to test everything and make sure it posts. Until next time, enjoy the pics.Also added a pic that Caddi Daddi requested lol

_49B1172.jpg _49B1178.jpg _49B1174.jpg _49B1176.jpg _49B1191.jpg _49B1194.jpg _49B1188.jpg _49B1185.jpg

I render animations in blender, I "needed" 64 gigs but decided to go ahead and max it out.
A friend of mine is in movie making and he uses them quite often and helps pay for them.
found one of my boxes, 3000 at cl14

Last edited:
What's the CL on your TridentZ RAM?

CL16 (16-18-18-38) at 3200MHz

- - - Updated - - -

I render animations in blender, I "needed" 64 gigs but decided to go ahead and max it out.
A friend of mine is in movie making and he uses them quite often and helps pay for them.
found one of my boxes, 3000 at cl14

Well you'll never worry about not having enough lol

I've recently added 3x 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to my threadripper rig and I think about the 4th one + PCIe card ( I have 3x M.2 on my mobo ) ... well, card was already ordered, should arrive in 2 days :) NVMe RAID works much better on AMD than on Intel, and it's free.
I have 4x16GB Ballistix Elite/Samsung B ( on Intel could make 3866 CL16 but I had no time to test max on TR, probably 3466 ) and can't really use more as I decided on mATX mobo with 4 memory slots.
If I had more time then I would play with custom water cooling and some lighting. I just don't want to spend money on next rig if I don't really need it, and I already had Enermax AIO, Noctua fans and some more stuff from reviews so I went the non-lighting way.

Btw, these TR are fun to install... especially for the first time ;)

I've recently added 3x 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to my threadripper rig and I think about the 4th one + PCIe card ( I have 3x M.2 on my mobo ) ... well, card was already ordered, should arrive in 2 days :) NVMe RAID works much better on AMD than on Intel, and it's free.
I have 4x16GB Ballistix Elite/Samsung B ( on Intel could make 3866 CL16 but I had no time to test max on TR, probably 3466 ) and can't really use more as I decided on mATX mobo with 4 memory slots.
If I had more time then I would play with custom water cooling and some lighting. I just don't want to spend money on next rig if I don't really need it, and I already had Enermax AIO, Noctua fans and some more stuff from reviews so I went the non-lighting way.

Btw, these TR are fun to install... especially for the first time ;)

Thanks for the input, looks like I will RAID all three as my boot drive, and yeah it was no joke getting those screws started

I'm down for this!

Thank you :)

Design

Ok so with the help of trusty photoshop I created an image with the basic idea I had for this build. I just used one of the photos I previously took and added the paint to it so its just the outside but the same theme will be inside the case as well. Obviously this style of painting is very unpredictable but my idea is to get it as close to this as possible. Please let me know what you guys think, any suggestions would be appreciated

Sketch.jpg

Neon green on white ? doesn't it look better (and more visible) on black ?

Neon green paint needs a white base in order to be bright and visible. Also I have seen many neon green and black builds, just trying to be different.

I like the concept and it's not something you see everyday. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

In case if you wish to add 4th drive. Can't see any performance difference but I just couldn't resist :)
DSC_0302.jpg

On my mobo it works as bootable but can set RAID only on PCIE that I can split into 4x4PCIE. I couldn't resist as price of this card is really low to what I've seen just after premiere. Maybe they made too many and demand is low.

In case if you wish to add 4th drive. Can't see any performance difference but I just couldn't resist :)
View attachment 199412

On my mobo it works as bootable but can set RAID only on PCIE that I can split into 4x4PCIE. I couldn't resist as price of this card is really low to what I've seen just after premiere. Maybe they made too many and demand is low.

Man I may have to keep that in mind, just got my third in the mail today along with my psu. as soon as my Enermax tr4 360 gets in ill be able to test everything. Still looking for sponsors for watercooling so hopefully the AIO will just be used for testing purposes.

Last edited:
I have Enermax with 280 rad. It looks really nice for an AIO but I understand that for a build like this, custom water would be better. Performance won't really change but you will have many more options to adjust lighting etc.

I have Enermax with 280 rad. It looks really nice for an AIO but I understand that for a build like this, custom water would be better. Performance won't really change but you will have many more options to adjust lighting etc.

Yeah it really wouldn't be Inkling with its "Ink" I was thinking hardtube but going with the theme of the build I think soft tubing with a pastel coolant would look better.

Ok so while I am still waiting on a few things to be delivered so I can paint everything at once, I decided to test something out; painting sata cables with normal spray paint. And guess what? It works better than I ever imagined. This was just an extra, ugly cable I had laying around so I wouldn't be upset if I had to junk it. I didn't prep it, didn't even wipe it down, I just sprayed it white then hot pink. I have rigorously bent it, scratched and twisted it and the paint has not cracked or chipped. So if anyone out there was curious, yes you can paint your sata cables, just don't forget to tape up the ends lol as I didn't here, because this was just a test. will be updated again once I start painting, and I'll have better quality photos instead of smart phone quality, thanks for looking and stayed tuned for more.

cable.jpg

Ok guys just a small update, but a colorful one at that. 24 pin cable finished as well as a few more things painted, the color is a little off in the pics due to it getting late but you get the idea.

_49B1225.jpg _49B1236.jpg

Back