• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build OC Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imevil2011

Registered
case - sentey extream division GS6000R
case fans - front 1x 120mm 2600 rpm,top 2x 120mm 2600 rpm,back 1x 140mm 2800 rpm,bottom 2x 120 mm 2600 rpm
video - ASUS GeForce GTX750 TI oc edition 2gb GDDR5
Mother Board - MSI 970A-G46 Model # MS-7693
CPU - AMD FX 6300 3.5 GHZ Black Edition Unlocked
CPU Cooling - Thermaltake NiC C4 - CLP0607 2x 120mm fan's in push/pull to back 140mm fan
RAM - ADATA XPG DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4x 4gb total 16 GB
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
PSU - RENTEK 1050 Watt with 140mm silent fan
HDD - 64k buffer seagate 1 TB sata

To Be ADDED Thursday
Corsair hydro H100 cpu water cooler
DIYPC Adventurer-9601G Black/Green Steel Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Last edited:
IF you have just made your puchase then it likely may give you time to return that motherboard as it has a very poor reputation for overclocking. It has only a 4 + 1 VRM section for supplying power to the cpu and that is very marginal for any sort of 'real' overclock of a 6 core FX cpu.

Here are just a few of the bits of information I found by other users when doing a google search of that mobo.

The 970A-G46 is a 970A-G45 (i.e. failure prone VRM design) with a bigger heatsink attached onto it and the "do not overclock" warnings on the MSI website subsequently removed. A bigger heatsink does not make a board with internal VRM design problems and a failure prone record any more safely overclocking-ready.

It's a 4+1 phase that is heatsinked and rated for 125w processors. In my opinion i'd avoid it for anything but 95w processors that ARE NOT OVERCLOCKED as low end msi boards (anything less then the x90) has enough of a failure rate that it should be avoided.

Cpu Cooler TT NIC with two fans is an unknown to us and as such can be suspect since none coming in here for help have had one. Had you asked before purchase our suggestion would have been a Coolmaster 212 EVO as the minimum cpu air cooler.
RGone...

Sir if it works for you then that is awesome. We don't overclock with genies or overclock buttons and when I push my FX-8350 to 4.8Ghz or more it is with ALL cores on and turbocore disabled since it will never push max clocks but to one half of the cores not ALL the cores. So there are big differences and running your setup as you are so doing, might get you by where clocking as we normally do with ALL cores carrying the mail would cause failure.

2 hours of Prime 95 Blend mode without failure and without the CPU/Socket temp exceeding about 72c nor the core/package temps exceeding 62c; as viewed in HWMonitor Free version, is then considered in general by all normally in this forum as pretty well stable.

You have been advised about the motherboard's shortcomings and if price is your only criteria for equipment purchase then it is what it is. That said it is likely best you leave the board working with TurboCore enabled so you can reach the higher speeds you mention but do so with only half the cores running that fast since doing so will surely lessen the load on the motherboard.

Best of luck to you in your computering journey.
RGone...ster.

wow

dude why so much hate all i ask for advice so i could fix or what ever i need to do to get 4.6 ghz i dont use geni or amd turbo core thats why i came here if i wanted to use geni or auto clock i wuold have done so and not came to ask for a little help but hey what ever thax any way ill just try and clock it my self if itblows it blows ill buy another and try agane sorry i dident ask for help cuz im pro already i did say at top i was new to this

No hate just actually the truth as it has occurred time again in this forum and others. We have only had about 12 or 13 MSI boards come thru this forum section in about 2.5 years of the FX processor in retail. The results have not been really kind to the users.

Most of the online etailers have a period of time to make a return, and it was my hope that you would be able to avail yourself of that window with TDirect to upgrade for the long run, before that window closed.

Sadly in checking back and forth with the many forums around' even the guys in the MSI forums were not recommending the G43/45 and now the G46 boards for 6 core and up FX processors. They are all still very gun-shy of the exploding mosfets in the VRM circuit.

So truthfully hoping your return window was still open, it was an effort to give you option in that window to go for something of a better reputation for success. Now if that is hating on something, it might be but it is not supposed to be hating if it is the truth as best the truth is understood. And is why I made suggestion to use the board with TurboCore on to lessen the load on the motherboard and let the cpu upclock as AMD designed it to do.

Still hope with a lessened goal likely in the range of 4.2Ghz you may in fact find success even with ALL cores enabled.
RGone...ster.

dude why so much hate all i ask for advice so i could fix or what ever i need to do to get 4.6 ghz i dont use geni or amd turbo core thats why i came here if i wanted to use geni or auto clock i wuold have done so and not came to ask for a little help but hey what ever thax any way ill just try and clock it my self if itblows it blows ill buy another and try agane sorry i dident ask for help cuz im pro already i did say at top i was new to this

Hate? People are just trying to help you. People aren't going to say what you may want to hear. That isn't hate. As a side note, try and use punctuation and proper spelling. You will get better response from people when you make that effort.

sorry

rly i wasent meaning hate over the MB i was meaning over the oc geni and the auto overclock i know the MB is BAD for ocing the fx i googled it befor i bought it with that said i still want to try it since most of the fails with the msi MB was useing a 125 W 8 core cpu if the MB gos ok it gos not much to say i ust wanted to try and see what gos and if not well ill add it to the 100+ compueter grave yard in my building mostly i dident buy this to oc it
but after i looked on google i wanted to push it up and see but as it is now i did bump it up on my own im not sure if it right ot not but it is stable after running prime 95 for 1 hour with cpu set at 4.2 GHZ on all 6 cores with voltage to 1.3125 like i said i dont know i never oced any thing befor prime 95 says my temp for cpu with the 2x 120mm 94 cfm 41 c after 1 hour now the temps for the case was 40 c video stayed at 35 c so i got from 3.5 GHZ default to 4.2 ghz oc with out any problems

whaer

Clock it and see, maybe it will hold out if you cool the VRM with a fan.

where is this located at and how much fan would i want to try cuz i just bought a 140mm 2600 rpm fan mabe i can set it up some how just to try and be on the side knowing it has some kind of cooling there?

sorry

Hate? People are just trying to help you. People aren't going to say what you may want to hear. That isn't hate. As a side note, try and use punctuation and proper spelling. You will get better response from people when you make that effort.

sorry but i have problems with spelling and all that as i have Dyslexia and i dont mean for it to happend i just cant stop it as much as i wish i could so if none will respond to me cuz i have a medical condition and words and spelling dont come out right or backwards sorry

I have Dyslexia and I confuse "D's" with "B's" and "q's" with "p's". Along with other issues. He was just trying to say, use more punctuation. It's hard to follow your sentences because you aren't using periods and commas and so forth.

I have Dyslexia and I confuse "D's" with "B's" and "q's" with "p's". Along with other issues. He was just trying to say, use more punctuation. It's hard to follow your sentences because you aren't using periods and commas and so forth.

i will do my best to try and double read befor post. :ty::ty:

The Corsair Hydro H100?

With The corsair hydro H100 is it best to use 4 120mm fan's in push/pull ? or just 2 120mm fans in pull? what would you guy's recomend?

That 140mm fan with 110CFM is going to be FAR more than enough fan to BLOW onto the heatsinks and not away from the sinks.

IF only two fans then push/blow the air thru the radiator is generally best.

Push/Pull can help if there is good room to have fan back and front side of radiator. Thick radiators benefit the most from push/pull. Not sure the H-100 is considered 'thick' or not.
RGone...ster.

right

That 140mm fan with 110CFM is going to be FAR more than enough fan to BLOW onto the heatsinks and not away from the sinks.

IF only two fans then push/blow the air thru the radiator is generally best.

Push/Pull can help if there is good room to have fan back and front side of radiator. Thick radiators benefit the most from push/pull. Not sure the H-100 is considered 'thick' or not.
RGone...ster.

good thing i bought the 140mm fan extra. also i did some googleing on the h100 and noticed it has 4 fan ports built on to the pump/coper cold plate i added my system spec's back to the post with the new case i just ordered will be here thursday i think its sizes as follow's (20" x 8" x 19") you think 4 are gonna fit? if so what 4 fans would be best to use?---- link to case have a look and let me know what you think for the size http://www.ebay.com/itm/291132534812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Back