• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build of hd 5870 2gb crossfire, gpus due out tomorrow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
toms hardware are jackasses, turn the fans up and they are fine.

They said that the temps are okay with the fan jacked up to 100%. But it is REALLY REALLY noisy.

@Topic starter. Make sure you got as many fans as you can fit in that case.

coming from experience with all ati cards previous, my 4890's will get into the 90's too if i let them but they usually hover around 60c with fans at 45%

Never owned an ati card personally, but I might look in that direction if the 300 series are garbage.

Ram sinks = waste. Even OC'ed DDR3 puts out less heat then DDR or DDR2 and those didn't even need heatsinks.

Harddrive cooler... if you want to cool it, spend a few dollars and put a 80/92mm fan on it.

The 2Gig version of these cards, Im guessing you'll be waiting a while for them, 1-2 months is a minimum I'd think.
As for the card itself it supports 3 monitors default. Tests where showing DVI, HDMI and D-Port connections working. At a later date they will release the 6 monitor version but will be a little while before we see that.
Temperatures, yes they will be warm, turn up the fan should help out lots. If you can get outside case air blowing near the inlet to the GPU's that will help drop the temps nicely as well.

Thermal paste, if buying new might as well get the MX-2 paste. Cures quicker and IMO better all around.

Defiantly a big build you got going on there. Where are you getting the prices on the 5870 2Gig's? I know seeing the 5870 1Gig @ starting at $380.

Ram sinks = waste. Even OC'ed DDR3 puts out less heat then DDR or DDR2 and those didn't even need heatsinks.

Harddrive cooler... if you want to cool it, spend a few dollars and put a 80/92mm fan on it.

The 2Gig version of these cards, Im guessing you'll be waiting a while for them, 1-2 months is a minimum I'd think.
As for the card itself it supports 3 monitors default. Tests where showing DVI, HDMI and D-Port connections working. At a later date they will release the 6 monitor version but will be a little while before we see that.
Temperatures, yes they will be warm, turn up the fan should help out lots. If you can get outside case air blowing near the inlet to the GPU's that will help drop the temps nicely as well.

Thermal paste, if buying new might as well get the MX-2 paste. Cures quicker and IMO better all around.

Defiantly a big build you got going on there. Where are you getting the prices on the 5870 2Gig's? I know seeing the 5870 1Gig @ starting at $380.

The 898 price is from when the NDA dropped. If you google prices you'll see it. I ended up going liquid. Ordered the blackice 480mm rad. I will purchase blocks for the gpus as soon as someone reports a compatible option. I'm using the haf 922 and side mounting the radiator. Ill have to use my old 8800gtx superclocked until the cards release. Can only do 2x monitors and crappy fps lol. I went way over budget, ordered 25' monitors, the roccat kave headset, the creative fatal1ty champion sound card, man I went way to far....

Lol it's all in good fun. Doing a crazy build like this every few years is worth it to many, but few can afford to do so. Enjoy my friend.

Man if I could go overboard with a build....
3x 24" Screens and at least 2x 5870's would be a must ;)
Pop in a few SSD's (2x 160Gigs)
Add in some better water cooling then I've done in the past (i haven't been that lucky)
Then a Custom desk!!! Yup I'd be set :)

Wish I could do that these days, be nice to just have a second 24" monitor but that won't happen anytime soon.

Man if I could go overboard with a build....
3x 24" Screens and at least 2x 5870's would be a must ;)
Pop in a few SSD's (2x 160Gigs)
Add in some better water cooling then I've done in the past (i haven't been that lucky)
Then a Custom desk!!! Yup I'd be set :)

Wish I could do that these days, be nice to just have a second 24" monitor but that won't happen anytime soon.

It's funny you mention the custom desk, in the process of build a corner unit. I am building the left side with a bookcase and a workspace for myself, the angle will have a raised platform for my monitors and the right side is a workspace for my wife. I did the drawings just need to get the plywood.

Back