• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build on a budget!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi Guys,

I built a pc a couple years ago and it needs an upgrade (tried playing civ 5 and it took like 10 minutes for the PC and game to get going - not a fan of steam) - as it was cheap then it needs to be cheap now, "no point in spending lots, if other bits are cheap"

Current Stats:
  • 4GB DDR3 2X2GB 1333MHZ
  • GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV MOBO
  • EVGA GEFORCE GT 520 1025MB
  • i3-3220 Processor
  • SATA 2 500GB 7200 HD

Basically i want to spend like £80 - £100, what do you think is best to upgrade? :shrug:i'm thinking graphics card & HD to SSD

Usually buy from novatech, so please attach any links.

You won't be upgrading both GPU and HDD on such a tight budget.

Usually I would suggest getting a SSD first but if your wanting to game your GT520 really isn't upto much at all.

You can pick up a GTX 750Ti for £109 at novatech. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...scards/nvidiagtx750tiseries/zt-70602-10m.html

If thats a little to much you can get a non-ti version closer to the £80 mark.

I would grab a video card first so you can at least game for now. You can pick up a SSD a little later, 128GB should be enough if you install your games onto the HDD. You can pick op decent SSD's at that size for around £50 now.

So basically focus on the Graphics card then do the hard drive - will that improve my load times as well or just be good for game play?

A video card will not improve load times no. But once a game loads its data into RAM the hard disk is rarely accessed anyway.

Thats cool I can make a coffee in the meantime :) I just remember one of my developers saying just get a small SSD for your OS and then store your games on the HD - so i considered this SSD and then a smaller graphics card. All in for £100 or so not bad, but i might spend more on the graphics card now and then wait for the SSD like you suggested.

Any other upgrades i can do or software that might help?

You could also find a used GPU, maybe you would be able to push higher than 750ti. You could also look at AMD, where you will get a bunch more Performance for your money.

7950 would be a great contender for a used card, inside your budget.

Never even thought to consider AMD but looks like a great contender! no bad either for a used card

I think we all secretly know that but for some reason we do not buy AMD - i know i did on my first build and i wish i did go AMD could have had a quad for the same price as a dual core intel!

Can i ask then on Novatech what graphics card would you pick for around £100 and £70

I think we all secretly know that but for some reason we do not buy AMD - i know i did on my first build and i wish i did go AMD could have had a quad for the same price as a dual core intel!

By far not my understanding. I own mainly AMD cards, and have for a long time gone for AMD, since i get so much for my money, and with a new card coming out every year (should be every other year from no on??)

It just made sense for me, and i have been happy with AMD. That said, i stay far away from their CPU/APU's. The performance vs. intel is just not there, but as far as GPU's go, AMD and Nvidia as almost neck and neck on performance, but not on price, AMD is almost always cheapest.

I'll leave your next question to the people who have a better understanding than i do.

Gotcha so for a GPU -> AMD all the way but for the CPU stick to Intel - my lack of knowledge led me to believe mixing architecture was a bad thing but your experience obviously shows it not - i'll have to look at an AMD GPU then!

Gotcha so for a GPU -> AMD all the way but for the CPU stick to Intel - my lack of knowledge led me to believe mixing architecture was a bad thing but your experience obviously shows it not - i'll have to look at an AMD GPU then!

Mixing architecture, not so much when speaking GPU's, Nvidia is a company on their own, AMD just happens to work in both sectors, well use to, they are moving to APU's now.

That said, you dont need to go AMD all the way bananza, im just saying its an options, and often a good option when your on a tight budget. My 7970's in my main rig are from the cheap end when they were new :) I do wish i had gone Nvidia, as the game i intend to play is built up on nvidia, but such is life.

I need to get more posts until I have access to the classified :(

Ask an admin for access, but this is US mainly, i use Danish forums, and getting parts often as high as 50% the price on ebay. People in the know, know the prices and therefor ask the right price, people on ebay just know 20/30% off the price they paid 2 years ago.

Hahaha I think it kicks in at 100 which is this post, but yes i never thought to go direct - do you know any real UK forums for parts??

Back