• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build & Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krazlus

Registered
Hello so i posted a couple days ago and said i wasn't going to overclock but now i might consider a 10% overclock on my cpu with the build below.
Case: Raidmax Viper GX
Fans: x6 Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition
Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.00 ghz
Air Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 101
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz G.Skill X
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5
Power: 750 Watts - Corsair CX750M
Storage: SSD 64GB ADATA SP900 for my OS and SSD 512GB ADATA SP900 for storage

Only game i ever really play is world of warcraft.

@@@@@@@@&&&&&&&&&&&&&

PLEASE SEE MY NEW INTEL BUILD-------->http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...mp-Overclock?p=7812043&viewfull=1#post7812043

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing changes here. Your build is terrible, over clocking or not. ATM posted a very outstanding intel build for around the same budget you are applying to your AMD build.

Last edited:
So you're going to ask for advice, then post a new thread while ignoring the previous advice?

+1 to what Bob said. That Intel build I posted will still be faster than the one you have here, even if you overclock it.

Hello so i posted a couple days ago and said i wasn't going to overclock but now i might consider a 10% overclock on my cpu with the build below.
Case: Raidmax Viper GX
Fans: x6 Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition
Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.00 ghz
Air Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 101
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz G.Skill X
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5
Power: 750 Watts - Corsair CX750M
Storage: SSD 64GB ADATA SP900 for my OS and SSD 512GB ADATA SP900 for storage

Only game i ever really play is world of warcraft.
Holy cow I feel like I'm on a merry go round. How many posts are you going to put up on overclocking a system when you do not even have it yet? You ask for builds because you want to OC, then you don't, now you do? I'm building a PC then buying a Cyberpower then building one again? If you want help then take the advice, the people that are trying to help you, are giving. Try re reading every post you've made and compile a system from the advice given.

Last edited:
Kraz,

Perhaps it would be most helpful, for all parties involved, if you take a step back and figure out what you actually want to do first before continuing. That way, these people that are helping you (for free on their personal time) can do so in the most efficient manner. Posting duplicate threads/threads on each part you want tends to frustrate those helping as advice is given in each thread and can end up duplicating answers and efforts.

Knowing if you want to overclock or not really changes things, particularly on the AMD side due to the robust motherboard and cooling solution you would need.

So, take a step back, slow down, figure out what you want to do, and let's try this again (not by starting another thread mind you! :p).

First of all bob it's not a terrible build i know for a fact my build will run faster and better than a crap ton of Intel builds out there and second Asrock is one of the top motherboard manufactuers.

First of all bob it's not a terrible build i know for a fact my build will run faster and better than a crap ton of Intel builds out there and second Asrock is one of the top motherboard manufactuers.

So... where's your proof that it'd be "faster and better than a crap ton of Intel builds"???

Yes, ASRock is a very good motherboard manufacturer. No, that motherboard isn't up to the task of overclocking an 8-Core FX very far.

Krazlus, you come here for help, if it's help you want you need to listen to the advice given. You originally came here posting you wanted to overclock a Fx 8370 to 5.0 on a crap motherboard. So you came back with a Fx 9590 build which we told you that will likely throttle with that chip on anything other then top end cooling, ie full custom loop. You went back to the Fx 8370 and asked about motherboards. You were suggested the Asrock 990fx Extreme 9 or Asus 990Fx Sabertooth. Then you post that you want custom build suggestions with no intention to overclock. You were suggested by more then one person to build an Intel setup. Now you are back to overclocking an AMD 8350 build on a mid level motherboard and a cooler that will in no way keep up with a Fx 8xxx chip overclocked. You should also heed Bobs advice, he said what he said because he had an Asrock Killer motherboard with a Fx chip on it. So he is speaking from experience.

We can only help you if you know what you want. If overclocking is what you want and you are going to go AMD no matter what we suggest that is fine. That said you're going to need better cooling as suggested in your other threads and a better motherboard also as suggested in your other threads.

Just to give you some perspective on where I am coming from, I absolutely love my AMD Fx 8350 see my signature, it is a great cpu and I also use it for gaming. I also own and use a I7 4770k, I5 2500k and an AMD 955 Be. You cannot compare the Fx 8xxx to Intel, for gaming, in most cases an Intel chip will perform much better then any Fx. I still use the 3 generation old Intel I5 2500k and if you compare frame rates on it vs my 8350 rig with using the same Gpu, it still will out pace the 8350. Is it a noticeable difference visually while playing, no, but if you actually measure the FPS the I 5 outperforms it.

10-4 ATM. That is what I was thinking but wanted to confirm and have it in public so he(everyone) is aware.

Intel 4690k

Hello here is the specs for the custom gaming rig i am looking to build and need to know how much i can overclock it.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690K 3.5 GHz
COOLER: Cooler Master Geminii S524 CPU Cooler w/ Aluminum Fins & 5 Heatpipes
MOBO: ASUS Z97-K ATX w/ Intel GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 2 PCI, 1 x M.2, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell)
PSU: 500 Watts - Corsair CX500M CX Series Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Storage: (OS) 64GB ADATA SP900 (Games & Programs) 512GB ADATA SP900

I only play very few games so i'm not gonna get more storage then i feel i will need, I will probably purchase a 1tb SSD in the future.
Games: World Of Warcraft, League Of Legends, Diablo 3, Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare,
I search free to play games in beta to try them out but usualy don't find anything i like.

Not sure how well that cooler will work, but likely to 4.2gbz+....

But why did you create a THIRD thread on the same subject?? You ha e three threads about this build and overclocking it....

Buy the rig first, play on it you will likely not need to overclock anything.....If and when you finally decide to pull the trigger on something we can help. We cannot tell you how much any computer will overclock, every system is different. I will say that is the best build you have posted to date, for your needs.

Intel for gaming
AMD for fun overclocking.

For AMD, we all reccommend the Sabertooth motherboard + beefy 700+ watt PSU of Good quality.
For Intel.... well I switched from them so I can help you there + good quality 500+ watt PSU.
For air cooling, get the Noctua D15 or D14 and you will have the best air cooling has to offer.

Always plan for overclocking, because later on almost everyone will want to overclock a bit.
Unless you are just building only to upgrade in a few years anyway.

Now, I'm soooo lost here as you are jumping everywhere. Do you actually own the 8350 rig listed in the first post??

Don't get that GeminII. It's the same price as the Hyper 212 evo and is weaker. I had one to fit in an mATX case, it was better than the stock AMD cooler, but the evo is much better for the same price.

Now, I'm soooo lost here as you are jumping everywhere. Do you actually own the 8350 rig listed in the first post??
No SP it is just a big fat mess! I'm praying the OP will just buy the system in post #13 and just enjoy it.

Don't get that GeminII. It's the same price as the Hyper 212 evo and is weaker. I had one to fit in an mATX case, it was better than the stock AMD cooler, but the evo is much better for the same price.
Dlaw good advice but it's been a circus already trust me you don't want in this mess. :D

I will be looking a other coolers but the Cooler Master Geminii S524 has nothing but good reviews.

Back