• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build to Learn - Not your average questionnaire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You should remember that even though its a respectable forum it doesn't mean that the person who replied to you was a knowledgable person :p Besides the point the new ssd's have speeds equal to the revodrive...

For the record, I'm not hating your case selection. If it looks like you want, and does what it's supposed to do... go with it. I don't even use a case, lol.

Besides the point the new ssd's have speeds equal to the revodrive...

New SSD's have speeds comparable to the original RevoDrive. RevoDrive 3 is reading at 975 MB/s and writing at 875 MB/s. Nothing you couldn't manage with a bit of Raid 0 on your own, but it's nice and convenient to be able to drop it into the PCI-e slot. They now have the Revo Hybrid, which is a pretty sweet deal. 100GB Revodrive w/a 1Tb HDD piggybacked to it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227753&Tpk=revodrive hybrid

Last edited:
Yes I saw the Hybrid...talk about timeing! :bday:
---------------------------------------------
Its a pitty that more didn't post, but I suppose I will take whatever I can get at this point. When I do post about this again I will either post here and edit the First Post, or just make a new thread all together.

But Before I do that I must ask a few more standard questions that have been asked before and will be asked again (along with what I have gathered):

-Intel and AMD? What's the Difference? (Better Performance Vs Better Value?)

-Nvidia and "ATI"? What's the Difference? (Its goes back and forth...It seems Nvidia has the upper hand currently )

-Why aren't those two often asked questions a sticky in the forum? (or are they...I hope I didn't somehow miss it.:-/)

-Have any thoughts or recommendations for a Double/Triple Monitor? Preferably with a Ultra-Slim Bezel (Like this TV-that-is-too-big-and-pricy-to-be-even-used-as-a-monitor) has if possible.

-I'm thinking about getting some MDPC sleeves, but I know nothing on how to put them on, what I can and can't put them on...ect. Any help in that endeavor as well is appreciated.

-Other than this site, any recommendations on sites where I could gather more info and learn?
As for what I'm thinking about getting in the future:

Motherboard - Z68 Compatible
CPU - Ivy Bridge/ Preferably Z77
CPU Cooler - Corsair Cooling H100 CPU Cooler
RAM - 16gig G.SKILL Ripjaws X 11-11-11-30 DDR3 2133Mhz 1.6v
GPU - TBD
GPU Cooler - For those long(?) renders. TBD
Storage - ?Size OZD Revodrive/ ?Size OZD SSD (Or the Hybrid)
Case - E-ATX Compat. Something >_>
PSU - Depending on Final Calc. Need Corsair PS HX850W/ Enermax Platimax 1050W EPM1050EWT/Enermax MAXREVO 1200W EMR1200EWT
OS - Windows 7 Ult 64 or Windows 8
Peripherals - ?
Monitor(s) - ?
Speakers - ?

Last edited:
Its a pitty that more didn't post, but I suppose I will take whatever I can get at this point. When I do post about this again I will either post here and edit the First Post, or just make a new thread all together.

But Before I do that I must ask a few more standard questions that have been asked before and will be asked again (along with what I have gathered):

Man, you are really new aren't you?

-Nvidia and "ATI"? What's the Difference? (Its goes back and forth...It seems Nvidia has the upper hand currently )

Pick one, we have forums also just for video cards.

-Why aren't those two often asked questions a sticky in the forum? (or are they...I hope I didn't somehow miss it.:-/)

-Have any thoughts or recommendations for a Double/Triple Monitor? Preferably with a Ultra-Slim Bezel (Like this TV-that-is-too-big-and-pricy-to-be-even-used-as-a-monitor) has if possible.

Many choices. We DO have a Display sub forum. Spend a few hours reading lots of posts and you will easily find your answer.

-I'm thinking about getting some MDPC sleeves, but I know nothing on how to put them on, what I can and can't put them on...ect. Any help in that endeavor as well is appreciated.

Your so new you shouldn't even begin to consider stuff like this. SLOW DOWNNNNNNNN

-Other than this site, any recommendations on sites where I could gather more info and learn?

Man, you are really new aren't you? Forgive me for being crass & direct, and I say this with all due respect...how does your realization that I'm not BSing ya help me?

Your so new you shouldn't even begin to consider stuff like this. SLOW DOWNNNNNNNN

FASSSSSTTTTTT-UUUUHHHHH!!! :rock:
--The rest of this post has been edited and altered with what you read here out of respect for those with more know how then I--

My words are pretty-er

Last edited:
+1 to conundrum.
If you really want the sleeving look at pre sleeved like the nzxt. What he said is true and sleeving is just going to be spreading the subject around.

Intel vs. AMD = Intel right now is the performance king, and have been on top for the last 3 generations now. You can spend less and buy an AMD system, but even at the lower performance end AMD is still being hurt hard by Intel (wherein some AMD quad-cores are being hammered by dual-core Intel i3 2xxx chips). Looking beyond clock performance (where AMD takes a massive efficiency hit vs. Intel), current Intel Sandybridge chips can easily overclock beyond 4ghz whereas AMD chips hit an architectural wall in 64-bit at 4ghz. So right now, outside of Llano/Brazos laptops, AMD is having an incredibly difficult time competing with Intel on all levels. This may change with AMD's Bulldozer platform, but it's not looking optimistic.

Re: ATI vs. Nvidia, it's personal preference really. Nvidia is great at some tasks (CUDA/Physx) whereas ATI has positive points elsewhere (power usage/tesselation), and both perform about on par for their market segments in games. One company's parts will be better in certain games than the other's, but they trade off pretty frequently.

For rendering/protools/photoshop, etc., Nvidia is often a better choice as more apps are written to take advantage of CUDA encoding at this point.

Edit: Seriously, check around on the subforums stickies. Most of your questions have been answered elsewhere.

---------
Edit2: Just wanted to post this as you were asking about AMD vs. Intel right now, and, welp:

RyClP.png

Look at the second and third entries down, and let that sink in a minute.

Last edited:

The General Hardware sub-forum is not visited by too many people. When you have more specific questions/choices (i.e. How do I overclock a 2600K - Intel CPU sub-forum, What can I do with a GTX 580? - nVidia sub-forum, etc... I would suggest opening a thread in the correct sub-forum. For the reasons I'll list below.

Regardless of how neutral or open minded the original poster actually is... these questions become a pissing match between fanboy's and hard-headed nut jobs. They will inevitably get closed due to flaming, flame-baiting, what ever you want to call it. The regulars here at Overclockers.com try to head these altercations off before they happen, or early on at least. If you want to ask in the ATi subforum "Why does my 6990 beat a GTX 580?" That is perfectly acceptable. If you ask "Why does my 6990 smash a GTX 580?:p" in the nVidia sub-forum... expect the thread to be closed shortly after an absurd post shows up.

The most common and easiest way to describe it is that it is similar to comparing apples to oranges. You just don't need to be doing it. One may get you healthier faster or the other could appease you on how smooth it is... regardless... it's all personal choice. Each has their own strong suits as well as their own faults.

Last edited:
I'm done here, good luck. Your bouncing off too many walls to focus.

+1 to conundrum.
If you really want the sleeving look at pre sleeved like the nzxt. What he said is true and sleeving is just going to be spreading the subject around.
Now that... Is an answer. Done. Why didn't you say so? You suggest not to get to sleaving in-till later on down the road. You may have been your point, but it was very ambiguous. That said I'm here so the question still applies, I just won't do such immediately in-till all the other factors have been smoothed out an then some first. I apologize if my response put you off.
Intel vs. AMD = Intel right now is the performance king, and have been on top for the last 3 generations now. You can spend less and buy an AMD system, but even at the lower performance end AMD is still being hurt hard by Intel (wherein some AMD quad-cores are being hammered by dual-core Intel i3 2xxx chips). Looking beyond clock performance (where AMD takes a massive efficiency hit vs. Intel), current Intel Sandybridge chips can easily overclock beyond 4ghz whereas AMD chips hit an architectural wall in 64-bit at 4ghz. So right now, outside of Llano/Brazos laptops, AMD is having an incredibly difficult time competing with Intel on all levels. This may change with AMD's Bulldozer platform, but it's not looking optimistic.

Re: ATI vs. Nvidia, it's personal preference really. Nvidia is great at some tasks (CUDA/Physx) whereas ATI has positive points elsewhere (power usage/tesselation), and both perform about on par for their market segments in games. One company's parts will be better in certain games than the other's, but they trade off pretty frequently.

For rendering/protools/photoshop, etc., Nvidia is often a better choice as more apps are written to take advantage of CUDA encoding at this point.

Edit: Seriously, check around on the subforums stickies. Most of your questions have been answered elsewhere.

THANK YOU! ^_^

The General Hardware sub-forum is not visited by too many people. When you have more specific questions/choices (i.e. How do I overclock a 2600K - Intel CPU sub-forum, What can I do with a GTX 580? - nVidia sub-forum, etc... I would suggest opening a thread in the correct sub-forum. For the reasons I'll list below.

Regardless of how neutral or open minded the original poster actually is... these questions become a pissing match between fanboy's and hard-headed nut jobs. They will inevitable get closed due to flaming, flame-baiting, what ever you want to call it. The regulars here at Overclockers.com try to head these altercations off before they happen, or early on at least. If you want to ask in the ATi subforum "Why does my 6990 beat a GTX 580?" That is perfectly acceptable. If you ask "Why does my 6990 smash a GTX 580?:p" in the nVidia sub-forum... expect the thread to be closed shortly after an absurd post shows up.

The most common and easiest way to describe it is that it is similar to comparing apples to oranges. You just don't need to be doing it. One may get you healthier faster or the other could appease you on how smooth it is... regardless... it's all personal choice. Each has their own strong suits as well as their own faults.

It was a risk I needed to take and the quote above seems to have fulfilled the risk. Each forum - Each Community, has its own atmosphere. I being a relative noob had to take that risk (nothing ventured and all that). An example being that another fourm found my long posts too daunting and only after a bump did I find this out. As I learn and observe Im going to do and say stupid stuff...its just how this learning thing works (as mentioned in one of my first posts).

I thank you for any patience and understanding you all can give.

I do realise that this initial post usefulness is coming close to a close.

This one of my favorite cases... I've built two servers so far using it... Cooler Master HAF 932. Has room for water cooling if need be, and plenty of storage space for your gear... I've also built another server using this case; COOLER MASTER Storm Scout, much smaller, but get the job done... I'll send over a picture of the two shortly...

All three are Core i5-2500K, 4 gig of RAM, window 2003 server, corsair HX650....blah, blah blah...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 19
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 19
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back