• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new box tell me wht you think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hrobakca

In the process of building a new box and im ordering tomorrow im buying the box,mobo and processor any input would be helpful

AMD Phenom II Quad Core Black Edition (Phenom II x4 955 BE, 3.2ghz, Socket AM3, unlocked core for unlimited overclocking)
Cooler Master Verticle CPU Cooler (Hyper101a)
4gb DDR3 Gaming RAM (2x2gb G.SKILL Ripjaw Gaming Series DDR3 1600mhz)
Best Budget-Gaming-Brand Motherboard (ASROCK M3A770DE)
750gb sata HD (WD Caviar Green Sata II 3.0gb/s)
Raidmax Typhoon Case
LG Super Multi DVD and CD burner with Lightscribe support
Logisys 575w SLI ready power supply
MSI Gefore GTX260 with Huge Twin Frozr Cooler, HDMI (MSI NSGTX 260 OC v.3 768mb)

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Might want to watch out for your power supply. You might just barely be cutting it. Newegg always has some kind of deal, so I don't know how flexible you are in your budget, but if you're gonna fill up your drive over time, might be prudent to spend an extra few bucks for a 1TB Caviar Black. Other than that, Looks great. I'm running the AMD 6-core and it works great. Love AMD :)

I would also be concerned about the PSU. Dont cheap out on the PSU. Corsair 550VX would be a solid choice.

Im also perplexed on the choice of GPU. I would get something newer than that personally.

What is your budget?

change the psu, I have never heard if that brand before. better safe than sorry :) also, why not a gtx 460? still best bang for your buck card IMO :)

Actually its different now see below:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core

4 gb G.Skill 800mhz DDR2
ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD
Apevia Dreamer 2 case
HIS Radeon HD4870 1gb
Rosewill PSU (high quality 550w with high voltage rails)

all for 300.00 what do you think?

Looks good to me. But going along with Cuiiey, if you can afford it, why upgrade later when you can upgrade now for a little bit extra and then your stuff will last a bit longer instead of being obsolete in two weeks haha.
Still worried about power supply being low. I had a geforce 9600, and it recommended a minium of 600W power supply. And thats an older card too. Go through all your components and add up the minimum wattage. Better safe than sorry.

it really doesn't matter, looks fine but I'm just suggesting if your main objective was gaming then I would rather a 5770. oh if you look in the psu tab in the forums one of the sticks should be a psych calculator. give that a whirl and chuck in your specs and see how much you need. 550 should be enough I think, the 5770 is a much newer card though, so it should he more power efficient as the smaller nm chips etc. for 300 I think it is looking pretty good :)

Rosewill? Even worse!!!!

They just came out with decent Rosewill's so it depends on the model. Please post it or type in "Rosewill MODEL, jonnyguru" and see what those threads say about it. Generally though, Rosewill is also crap. Again, do NOT cheap out on your PSU.

The GPU you selected now, the 4870, is from the same generation.

A 550W PSU will be PLENTY with ANY of the setups listed guys.

Back