• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer, is this good to go??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hi all, i am building a new computer for my dad, he will be using it for just about everything..and i will game on it from time to time when i am going over there, i have a parts list all set up, but wanted some last minute suggestions if anyone would change anything? I will not be overclocking this for now, but i will in the future! Thanks in advance! :)

motherboard: Abit TH7II-R

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4BGHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz

RAM: (2) KINGSTON KVR1066X16-8/256 RAMBUS 256MB 1066MHZ NON-ECC

video card: GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4600

sound card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xgamer

hard drive: WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 100GB 7200RPM EIDE

cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd combo drive: Plextor DVD/CDRW IDE
20x/10x/40x

floppy: SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE

PSU: Antec 480W Power Supply TRUE480

Case: Cooler Master ATC-210-VX1 (VERDANT). All Aluminum and Acrylic Case

Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Keyboard: some cheap one

Monitor (LCD): Sharp LL-T1820

is he a power user or something? that system's going to cost a pretty penny. is he paying for it?

seems a bit much for a occasional gaming system, but do what you wish.

as far as parts it looks great :)

Thanks for the reply Maxvla, he is the type of person who likes the best of the best and is willing to pay for it.. (this is almost the best..) Also i want this system to last a decent amount of time.. :)

Can he adopt me??? Awesome setup, my idea of the current dream machine... Go for it the best of the best.:D

I sure hope your getting at least 512MB of ram, since with 256MB nowdays, you cant do nothing!

Darnit, XP Professional alone along with maybe Winamp, ICQ, Folding and some drivers like the SoundBlaster stuff easily takes a chunk (200MB+)

You should also stick with 512MB Sticks since they leave more room for expansion in the future.

DS-Master

DS-Master said:
You should also stick with 512MB Sticks since they leave more room for expansion in the future.
hell, since we're going all out why not grab a 1gb stick. that will keep you until you replace the entire computer in about 2-3 years. you won't ever need to buy ram again.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone, i am putting 512mb of ram in it as i put a little (2) next to the ram indicating 2 sticks of 256 :). Also, it will just be using the stock intel HSF as i will not be overclocking it for now..but eventually maybe i will throw watercooling on it :).

the th7-ii has a prob with booting off of 1066rdram...
and it prolly wont recognise your cpu correctly...

you'll prolly have to change the fsb to 133 manually...

i have the same mobo and the same ram (kingston1066) but a p41.8a instead

i tried booting up at 133 and it got stuck (some memory error i fogot the code) they ONLY way to get it to boot again was to put a stick of pc800 in there...

i tried clearing the cmos a million different ways switching the dimms etc etc...nothing...i had to put a stick of pc800 in there...so i hope you have a few sticks of pc800 laying around incase this happens

but if you can get to to work properly..then it should be a sweet machine

good luck! :)

Thanks for that reply FnP, after reading through some threads about the problems the TH7II had been having with the 1066 rambus i decided to switch the motherboard out and i ordered an Asus P4T533-C instead :).

that will totally fly, just that OCing wise you will only be able to get to about 150-160fsb...that is where RDRAM craps out :(

Spec

touser said:
Thanks for that reply FnP, after reading through some threads about the problems the TH7II had been having with the 1066 rambus i decided to switch the motherboard out and i ordered an Asus P4T533-C instead :).
pat.gif
doh! didn't even realize it was a rdram based board. stupid me :D

Back