• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EtriusQuill1944

I currently have a Core i7-970 gulftown 3.46ghz and I want to do a new computer and give this one to my brother.
I only play games with it, so it was overkill when I got it. I am stuck on what CPU I should get.

A core i5-4690k, FX-8350, i7-4790k, or a 5820k.

Any suggestions. I would like to overclock using an evo 212 no liquid cooling.

I have an i5 for gaming and it's quite dandy. I see no need to spend anymore on a processor. I actually should have just got an i3. What games do you play? What other hardware are you planning on getting?

Pretty much everything under the sun. Currently playing Attila and Cities:Skylines. The Witcher 3 is the one i am nervous about. DA:I runs alright on my current rig but gets some slowdown so hoping a newer computer will help.

I see, I guess it depends on your budget. I'd probably get an i3 or an i5 and spend more on a graphics card and ssd.

Yeah - I have an Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x 4gb but no SSD.
I figured I would get an SSD with the build.

I was thinking something like;
i5-4690k/4790K
16gb DDR3-2133/2400
R9 290
120gb SSD

it's more of a budget thing unless i want to buy it all over 2-3 months.
Like the i5-4690k,4790k and ssd i can get all at once while the Haswell-E i would have to buy it over a couple of months so.

Would you be able to get a 240 GB ssd? Those are only $100ish. I just think you might run out of space quickly if you're installing games. You could also just install a few at a time, that could work.

hmmm suppose i could. Plus it's not like i can't pick up another one later. I mostly wanted one for my OS and then another for games.

You could also save some money by just getting an 8 GB stick of RAM and upgrading later. You probably don't need more than 8 GB.

Hopefully you didn't listen to them about it, single channel really gimps a system.

Yeah, about 0-5% in games, which is OP's use case. On a board with only 2 RAM slots, a single stick is a no brainer as it leaves room for upgrades later and has nearly zero performance impact in games. Of course, OP didn't specify that his board has only 2 slots, and I'd grab a pair at the same price any day of the week if there's still an upgrade path.

Test bed is an i5:
shogun2-2.jpg
cinebench-results.jpg
winrar-compression.jpg

Source

Last edited:
Yeah, about 0-5% in games, which is OP's use case. On a board with only 2 RAM slots, a single stick is a no brainer as it leaves room for upgrades later and has nearly zero performance impact in games. Of course, OP didn't specify that his board has only 2 slots, and I'd grab a pair at the same price any day of the week if there's still an upgrade path.

shogun2-2.jpg

Last time I checked Shogun 2 isn't exactly a new or demanding game...

I'll try to dig up some more benches, but all that I've seen suggest that, as long as you're not using the iGPU, the impact is minimal.

Back