• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new I7 4770K PC, need suggestions on MB and Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Billiumss

Registered
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of building a new I7 4770k PC. I just ordered the CPU and it's on its way!

I need some suggestions and help on selecting a decent motherboard and 16GB (2x8) of ram.

I plan on using the PC to do all the basic stuff, along with converting a lot of my old VHS-C and Mini DV Home movies and my newer Canon HD Camcorder videos and burning them to Bluray. I really don't play that many video games, so as of right now, I will be using the built in on board video.

I'm going to be using a Samsung 840 250GB SSD for the OS and a WD 1TB Black for my data drive. I decided that I want to air cool to keep it a little simpler.

I've built many machines over the years but this will be the first that I really want to overclock to get max performance and reliability. I would like to overclock the CPU to 4.5ghz. I know a lot of people can go higher but I want it to last many years.

With so many options out there, what would you guys recommend for a decent motherboard and ram? I have had good luck with Asus boards and Corsair Ram but I am open to other brands.

As for budget, I would like to try and stay around $150.00 for the motherboard and $140.00-$180.00 for the 16GB ram.

What would you buy, any links would be great!

Thanks,

Bill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0006130&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

As far as mobo go, I haven't researched them a lot on newer things lately, but I like ASUS myself and I believe these are pretty popular atm. I'm sure you'll get plenty more input.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976

My two cents, become a bit af a GSkill fan lately.

Could get the better Mobo and the 79 buck GSkills, which is nice and will OC I'm sure and away ya go, depending on what else you're going to put in there.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Billiumss, welcome to the forum.

For starters in order to overclock you'll need a Z87 motherboard, as far as your price range pretty much any board will be able to over clock the 4770k, if the chip will do it. Suggestions in your price range, see below.

For Ram most ram will work on the board also, you may want to get something in the neighborhood of DDR3 1866 or 2133 which may help speed up your video conversions. Just look for the lowest timings you can afford.

Cooling is going to be an issue, these 4770k's are all over the place with their temps and overclocks. Some will easily do 4.5 at low voltage and others will need more. The other issue which is one that I have is I have one that needs relatively low voltage for 4.5 but is a really hot chip and I can't run it there even with a custom H2O loop.
Capture.PNG

The good thing about combining an ASUS motherboard with G.Skill memory is that the two companies seem to work together. ASUS always seems to make sure their boards work well with G.Skill memory and often times fine tune their BIOS to make damn sure of it.... LOL.

The good thing about combining an ASUS motherboard with G.Skill memory is that the two companies seem to work together. ASUS always seems to make sure their boards work well with G.Skill memory and often times fine tune their BIOS to make damn sure of it.... LOL.
I agree Lycoyote, I have always had good luck with my ASUS boards and G. Skill ram.

Yeah, but the 2400 ram that would work even if you couldn't get it up to specs, and for the price on a new build that's hard to pass up at 109 bucks.

Tempted to try a couple out myself once I saw those.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the 2400 ram that would work even if you couldn't get it up to specs, and for the price on a new build that's hard to pass up at 109 bucks.

Tempted to try a couple out myself once I saw those.
From what I know editing and converting videos require more ram and will run faster with it. Those sticks you posted, while nothing wrong with them are only 2x4g. Additionally, the Cpu overclocks may be hindered by having 2400 ram.

Frig my bad taking em down thought those were 8's duh.

Would have been a real deal.

On that note as I said earlier, I'm sure he would get many more recommendations.

Good point on the OCs, part of the reason using I've the 1333 on the L5639 to begin with.

Obviously I have not played with the newer chips I guess.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I think I might be leaning toward the Asus Z87-A MB. It seems to have all the features I will need and want.

As for Memory, the GSkills looks promising but after looking online I'm still undecided on what to buy. Since I'm going with the I7 4770K, wouldn't I want the fastest memory I can get? So would DDR3 2400 be a good choice? I'm assuming that I will overclock to get to the 2400 speed, correct? What about all the timing settings, what are good and bad?

The reason I want 16GB (2x8GB) is that it should be cheaper and maybe down the road I can add more to the system and keep what I have.

I just don't want to end up buying some ram that wont perform as advertised when I overclock it. I guess I need more help/understanding in the ram area...

Thanks,

Bill

The reality is this, will 2400mhz ram out perform say 2133mhz yes but the difference is negligible. You may also be able to overclock the 1866 or 2133 sticks to 2400. When buying it look for what is in your price range with the lowest timings. You can have a look in this area for testing on different sticks to see the differences between clock speeds and timings.

The reality is this, will 2400mhz ram out perform say 2133mhz yes but the difference is negligible. You may also be able to overclock the 1866 or 2133 sticks to 2400. When buying it look for what is in your price range with the lowest timings. You can have a look in this area for testing on different sticks to see the differences between clock speeds and timings.
+1

I would not get any faster than DDR3 1866/2133 CL9. More than that you are paying more for nearly no returns.

I went to the Asus website and looked up the Z87-A MB. I checked the list of supported Ram and found this one for 2400mhz, Kingston HyperX Beast KHX24C11T3K4/16X :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104313

Its a little more than I really want to spend but if I can get a true 2400mhz then I guess its worth it. I know its 4 sticks and I can't add more RAM later but 16GB should be enough for what I am doing. (I Hope) lol

Any other suggestions, I'm learning as I go...

Bill

I went with the vengeance 1866 cl9 that are very overclockable. That way I can go down that road if I choose. And I have the hero as well.

I went to the Asus website and looked up the Z87-A MB. I checked the list of supported Ram and found this one for 2400mhz, Kingston HyperX Beast KHX24C11T3K4/16X :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104313

Its a little more than I really want to spend but if I can get a true 2400mhz then I guess its worth it. I know its 4 sticks and I can't add more RAM later but 16GB should be enough for what I am doing. (I Hope) lol

Any other suggestions, I'm learning as I go...

Bill
Bill, we are telling you its NOT worth it to jump up to 2400Mhz...it literally yields negligible returns AT BEST for the vast majority of PC functions.

Pretty much any 1866/2133 CL9 2X4Gig kit will work in your system. I'm a Gskill fan myself. If you're concerned get ram that is rated or certified for the Z87 chipset. That info will quite often be listed with the ram on NewEgg

What would be the direction to go then 1866mhz or 1600mhz and just try to OC it? Should I choose off of the Asus Z87-A Ram list?

Bill
If you want 100% success rate, go off that list. 99% dont. The list just means they tested it. It does NOT mean that anything that is not on the list will not work.

As I said above just grab some 1866/2133 CL9 1.5v and leave it alone. Ram overclocking is only good for benchmarking or playing as it will not yield real world results. :thup:

Back