• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new system. Advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went ahead and got the X1900XTX. The way I see it, I will probably upgrade the video card in 18 months, regardless of whether or not I have the X1900XTX or the 7900GTs in SLI. SLI 7900GTs just don't provide enough of an increase over the X1900XTX to justify the $200 premium.

Thanks everyone for your help. I should have the parts by Wednesday or Thursday. Should have it up and running shortly there after.

You might consider buying PC 4000 speed memory so you have overclocking potential. There is not much difference in price. Maybe OCZ PC-4000 XTC. Don't forget to upgrade the heatsink, maybe an XP-120. Just a thought. When I bought my system, I didn't upgrade the heatsink or the memory. I played with overclocking and soon found my value ram and heatsink needed an upgrade. I purchaced the thermalright after, and had to pull my mobo out to attach it. Its just less wear and tear pulling the board out later.

Ocz ram or Gskill pc4000 is the way to go. i would stay away from the Abit mobo, check some reviews on it. I would stick with DFI for the mobo. As for cpu I have a single core opty 146 hittin over 3 with no probs on air. And I am using some cheap-*** 1gb of corsair value select at 215mhz. paid $145 shipped for my cpu 4 months ago. As for the case I have a thermaltake armor (aluminum, not steel) little pricey, but well built and good thermal management. Gpu, 7900gt will be the way to go. i have always been an ATI fan but nvidia is whoopin that *** right now.

Is the dfi board better than the asus, i like the cool pipe idea to keep heat away from the cpu on the asus. Also is there a performance difference in sli mode. I heard good things about the asus board. Thanks for your input.

there is no northbridge chipset on the DFI board so that is not an issue. I'll just say this, there are more features hands down on a DFI than asus, especially whenit comes to overclocking. In my experince anyway. Sli-dr or Slidr expert are the best 2 boards I have come across.

Back