• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new system, need some help for overclock pls!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Areo

Hi,

I am building a new system, cause my pc is old now ;).

I want to buy the following things:

-Asus Rampage ii Extreme
-HD 5970 Graphic Card
-Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
-i7 950 @ 3.06GHZ CPU.
-Antec 1200 case.

The other parts I get from my old computer.
These are the other parts:

-DVD Writer
-LG Blu ray writer
-Samsung 750GB @ 7200rpm internal harddisk.
-And 4GB DD3 Ram (just need to figure out how to get the ram out.)

Now I got a problem. I only want the i7 950 if I can overclock it safe to about 3.6 - 4GHZ. But I have never overclocked a cpu before. Also which cooler should I get? Is it easy with an Asus Rampage ii Extreme? Do I need 800W or less? Is it safe? Do I need more RAM?

So can somebody give me some advice pls?

Thanks in Advance,
Areo

:welcome: Areo. X58 chipset runs in tri-channel mode so you will want a 3 x 2GB RAM setup of say 6GB DDR3-1600. G.Skill makes good RAM for decent prices so you may want to pick up a kit. The 5970 is a monster card so I'm not sure of what resolution you will be using and how many monitors at that.

Any good cpu coolers in a push/pull config will get the 950 to 4.0GHz pretty easily. I use the Xigmtek Dark Knight but Cooler Master makes the C50 and C70 water/air coolers. Noctua is considered one of the best brands for air coolers like the NH-D14. Also look at prolimatech heatsinks with fans in push/pull.

I think that you should add a SSD for the OS. It will complement the rest of your hardware.

Thanks for your response. I can't get G.Skill DDR3 RAM in Europe so that is a problem. And what do you mean with SSD? I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit if you mean that. And can I lower my power supply or not? (from 800 to 700W)?

SSD is a solid-state drive. It's like a hard drive with no moving parts, it's a ton faster and a ton more expensive. Most people get a small one to put windows on, then a normal hard drive for everything else.

And you switched mobo's, so you need a new copy of windows (if the previous one was OEM).

I only got an Internal Hard Disk which is enough I think. Also I got the Windows CD so that's no problem. Why do I have to take a SSD? Internal harddisk is enough right?

SSD is another type of "internal" as you would say.

Its a hard drive that has speed and no moving parts. SSD is stable due to it not having any moving parts. If you get a SSD then you'll boot quicker and your windows will be more stable(if you installed windows on it, obviously).

Why don't you wait for the radeon 6xxx series to come out?<soon I think
Also intel is releasing new types of motherboard chipsets in January I think it was. I think it has pci-e gen-3 and maybe tripple channel. Thats if you don't mind the wait.

SSDs do the same job as HDDs, they tend to be smaller but faster.

Personally, I'd get the i7-920 or 930 rather than the 950 (they should reach similar speeds with overclocking) and get a 128 GB SSD. Put the operating system and commonly used programs/games on the SSD, but also keep the HDD for documents/etc.

PS: Welcome to the forums :)

Back