• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a non-gaming professional PC - $2K budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mo786

Registered
I need to build a new PC for a friend. The budget is $2,000. The computer will be used mainly for the following programs:

Photoshop CS4, Maya, iClone, Autodesk 3ds Max, Adobe Premier, and other 3D editing software.

I was thinking about using a workstation video card instead of the standard ones, but I wasn't sure of how much of a performance gain that would result in since I have never owned a workstation card.

Can anyone guide me with this? I need this PC done by January unless something much better is coming out that would be worth the wait.

Also, just a little side. This friend wants to stick strictly to AMD CPUs! He has his reasons and I'm not going to argue with anyone about this. He knows what he's doing, trust me. I know Intel would be stronger, but please just help me with this build using the strongest AMD CPU.

I tried putting a parts list together, but I'm not sure if I went with the best possible combination under that budget. I also didn't pick out a workstation GPU yet since I don't have much knowledge on which is the best. Please let me know if there is a better combination that I can go with that would still fit the budget and all the requirements mentioned in this thread.

Here is the link to the parts list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14314614

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Workstation cards do make a difference but thats if you are buying the really expensive ones like the quadro 5000, I personally think you will be fine with a regular dedicated card. I use autodesk regularly and it performs flawlessly, but for your case I would suggest a nvidia system for cuda support.

builds.png

Although I will still say that you will benefit highly from going with a sandy bridge build, just take time to think about it. Particularly because you will be using applications that will take advantage of the hyper-threading.

Intel Build:

iontel.png

Last edited:
list looks good... there are a couple of things you could swap, not really for performance but budget. I would be tempted to go with a cheaper SSD OCZ has some really nice options for aprox the same IOPS. you could also save some money on the case. if you can get the price low enough to accomidate two of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133324). That will really improve the over all performance.
However your bottleneck will forever be the AMD chip. Intel's on a quad channel memory interface and AMD is still running duel channel. and now that intel has unlocked its processors... AMD can''t compete at all.
It's not really a necessity to go with "professional" video cards you can get similar performance running professional drivers on gaming hardware. For the price you pay for professional cards, you can get a higher memory interface on gaming cards. Now with cuda and openGL "professional" cards don't really offer that much more performance with adobe and 3d software.
good luck and happy building.

Here is an option with a workstation card, the Quadro 4000 is a great high-mid range card. But as I said you will probably be fine with just a desktop gpu.

wrkstnt.png

is the 8 core that much better than a SB? even with 8 real cores....

also i would do a raid 1 for saving important info to and perhaps a bluray burner to burn backups too aswell or an external drive they can turn off.

list looks good... there are a couple of things you could swap, not really for performance but budget. I would be tempted to go with a cheaper SSD OCZ has some really nice options for aprox the same IOPS. you could also save some money on the case. if you can get the price low enough to accomidate two of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133324). That will really improve the over all performance.
However your bottleneck will forever be the AMD chip. Intel's on a quad channel memory interface and AMD is still running duel channel. and now that intel has unlocked its processors... AMD can''t compete at all.
It's not really a necessity to go with "professional" video cards you can get similar performance running professional drivers on gaming hardware. For the price you pay for professional cards, you can get a higher memory interface on gaming cards. Now with cuda and openGL "professional" cards don't really offer that much more performance with adobe and 3d software.
good luck and happy building.

I'm sorry dude, but like I said the PC isn't for me and his decision was final. He completely understands the difference, trust me.
I just picked one of the top rated SSDs on Newegg and added it to the wishlist. I never owned one before and haven't keeping up with which is better.
Now you said "to accommodate two of these" does that mean you can have two workstation cards in SLI/Crossfire? How exactly does that work? He asked me about this and I told him I would find out for him. He plans to buy another and add it to the system if it works like that.
Also, I have noticed that workstation cards don't have a video output. Does that mean I would have to use the onboard GPU for my video output?

Here is an option with a workstation card, the Quadro 4000 is a great high-mid range card. But as I said you will probably be fine with just a desktop gpu.

View attachment 102610

Thanks for the list, but how good is that particular Quadro card? The reviews on Newegg don't seem to be that great. Why is that?
EDIT: nvm, I was thinking of the Nvidia Tesla cards. What is the difference between the two btw?
Also, he plans to buy another HDD later on once the prices come down. He wants lots of storage and that would cost him a few hundred dollars at the current price ranges. We will be using an old HDD for the time being until the prices come back down.

Blank Bluray disks are really too expensive to be a viable backup solution

It's not, but the OP stated that his client/friend would STRONGLY want to go with AMD, so we're complying.

Things I'd change to the build above:
1. Switch out the HDD for the desktop version of that hard drive. Same specs, $30 cheaper. That's the notebook (2.5") version.

2. Drop the PSU wattage down. The 750X is an excellent PSU, but the TDP on Quadro cards are very low. You should get a similar quality PSU, but somewhere around the 550-600W range.

3. Beefier cooler (if you want to overclock). Bulldozer runs CRAZY hot.

4. Depending on how far you want to OC, the motherboard is kind of overkill. You could drop down to a ASRock Extreme3/Extreme4 or a Gigabyte UD3/UD5.

I would post my own list, but my internet is down and I'm tethered to my phone, which doesn't play nice with Newegg.

Stick with the 750 if you plan to OC it.

Also if Ocing might want to look at better cooling solutions, like an internal watercooling setup. Either H100 or custom loop.

1. Switch out the HDD for the desktop version of that hard drive. Same specs, $30 cheaper. That's the notebook (2.5") version.

Yup totally missed the drive size. I guess reusing HDD's is a good idea for the time being (subtract $100 from subtotal).

Mo786 said:
Thanks for the list, but how good is that particular Quadro card? The reviews on Newegg don't seem to be that great. Why is that?
EDIT: nvm, I was thinking of the Nvidia Tesla cards. What is the difference between the two btw?

Quadro and Tesla are just different gpu architectures, Tesla is a bit newer but offers higher vram stock clocks etc. However the prices reflect that as well.

As I said to really benefit from a workstation card you will need to be spending somewhere in the 1500-$2000 range which is kinda unrealistic. Since you can achieve very reasonable results when using a 300-$400 desktop card in most cases with higher vram.

Keep the PSU to around 500W IMO.. An Antec Neo Eco 520W would do you great here..

Grab a Crucial M4 SSD IMO. He would want reliability over pure throughput for a workstation I would think..

For a workstation; you're looking for a motherboard that supports a decent amount of RAM (Basically all boards) and compatibility.. That's about it. You don't need high-end features these days in most motherboards.. Even if OC'ing.. An Asrock Extreme 3/4 or Gigabyte UD3 or so makes much more sense than an all out enthusiast board..

Honestly; your friend is silly.. Whether he 'knows what he's doing' or not; Sandy Bridge 2600K easily beats out any AMD offering... Even in multi-threaded apps for the most part.. Meh. To each their own I suppose..

Blank Bluray disks are really too expensive to be a viable backup solution

It's not, but the OP stated that his client/friend would STRONGLY want to go with AMD, so we're complying.

2. Drop the PSU wattage down. The 750X is an excellent PSU, but the TDP on Quadro cards are very low. You should get a similar quality PSU, but somewhere around the 550-600W range.

3. Beefier cooler (if you want to overclock). Bulldozer runs CRAZY hot.

4. Depending on how far you want to OC, the motherboard is kind of overkill. You could drop down to a ASRock Extreme3/Extreme4 or a Gigabyte UD3/UD5.

I would post my own list, but my internet is down and I'm tethered to my phone, which doesn't play nice with Newegg.
Well can't Blu-Ray burners read and write DVDs and CDs as well?

1. We will be using an old mechanical drive for the time being with an SSD until the prices come back down.

2. Yeah I was thinking about doing that as well, but my friend asked if it's possible to have more than 1 workstation card in there. Kinda like an SLI/Crossfire and if that would actually benefit them. They would be willing to buy another one down the road if it benefits them.

3. Maybe later.

4. The motherboard I picked was a Gigabyte UD3. I don't know if you saw the parts list I put together, but its on the OP. I would like some feedback on it if you could please.

Yup totally missed the drive size. I guess reusing HDD's is a good idea for the time being (subtract $100 from subtotal).

Quadro and Tesla are just different gpu architectures, Tesla is a bit newer but offers higher vram stock clocks etc. However the prices reflect that as well.

As I said to really benefit from a workstation card you will need to be spending somewhere in the 1500-$2000 range which is kinda unrealistic. Since you can achieve very reasonable results when using a 300-$400 desktop card in most cases with higher vram.
The cheapest Tesla card I found on Tigerdirect.com was for $1,200. I think I can squeeze this in the budget if I get a cheaper case and a lower wattage PSU. Here is the link of the card on Tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4259469&CatId=4044
Which one would be a better choice for me to go with?
Also, are there any benchmarks to show the difference between workstation cards and regular gaming cards in terms of performance related to the programs I listed in the OP?

Keep the PSU to around 500W IMO.. An Antec Neo Eco 520W would do you great here..

Grab a Crucial M4 SSD IMO. He would want reliability over pure throughput for a workstation I would think..

For a workstation; you're looking for a motherboard that supports a decent amount of RAM (Basically all boards) and compatibility.. That's about it. You don't need high-end features these days in most motherboards.. Even if OC'ing.. An Asrock Extreme 3/4 or Gigabyte UD3 or so makes much more sense than an all out enthusiast board..

Honestly; your friend is silly.. Whether he 'knows what he's doing' or not; Sandy Bridge 2600K easily beats out any AMD offering... Even in multi-threaded apps for the most part.. Meh. To each their own I suppose..
Yeah I guess a 750 watt is a bit of an overkill.
The SSD I originally chose was an M4 Crucial. Its in the parts listed I posted in my OP.
I also picked a Gigabyte UD3 in my original post's part list.

And yes, I know the Intel is stronger. Please just help me out. It's not my choice.

Also, one more question. I was suggested that maybe going with a socket G34 and an AMD Opteron might be a better option than a Bulldozer. What do you guys think?

This would be my recommendation.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15824111

I would pull that silly blue LED fan out of the front an install 2x of the 140mm fans as intakes, install the other 2x 140s as intakes on the side panel. The H100 mounts up top with the fans in the top exhausting. Rear fan as exhaust.

The opterons are good chips also, im not sure how much the extra cores will help at this point. Ill take a peek.

Ok so this is my take on your situation and the G34 socket, dont do it. The problem is that the G34 chips are majorly underclocked compared to the AM3+ chips in order to make TDP. They also do not support overclocking and are limited to DDR3-1333. For servers that do ALOT of small tasks this is an ideal situation for a system that will be doing heavy rendering not so much.

Last edited:
This would be my recommendation.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15824111

I would pull that silly blue LED fan out of the front an install 2x of the 140mm fans as intakes, install the other 2x 140s as intakes on the side panel. The H100 mounts up top with the fans in the top exhausting. Rear fan as exhaust.

The opterons are good chips also, im not sure how much the extra cores will help at this point. Ill take a peek.

Ok so this is my take on your situation and the G34 socket, dont do it. The problem is that the G34 chips are majorly underclocked compared to the AM3+ chips in order to make TDP. They also do not support overclocking and are limited to DDR3-1333. For servers that do ALOT of small tasks this is an ideal situation for a system that will be doing heavy rendering not so much.

You gave me the wrong wishlist link. I fixed it for you: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15824111

I don't see what the point of changing my much better 750 watt PSU for a 650 that is priced exactly the same...
Only a $10 price difference between that SSD and the one I picked. I'll stick with the one I picked.
He wants at least 16GB RAM to start out with.
I will be using an old HDD until the prices come down.
The Quadro looks nice, but the ratings are what's holding me back. Is it actually worth it or is there a better one that would still fit in my budget?

The Quadro looks nice, but the ratings are what's holding me back. Is it actually worth it or is there a better one that would still fit in my budget?

Like I told you it is definitely a great card, but the performance increase you will see is small when compared to desktop cards, the point where you will see large differences in performance is when you buy something like the Tesla 2050. I suggest you get a high end desktop card with a large amount of Vram.

The lack of ability to output images to a display is the main difference between Tesla products and ordinary video cards.

P56-1060-03.jpg

The one you linked is the older model with no video output. It's purely a compute unit, not a graphics card. I would suggest you either go with quadro or a desktop solution.

Back