• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building "budget" computer for bro. good oc'ing mobo for phenom x4 920?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

building "budget" computer for bro. good oc'ing mobo for phenom x4 920?

I want a respectable board with little to no problems, ease of use, RELIABLE board, don't need crossfire or sli, don't think am2 boards support ddr3 which is too bad cuz I got 4 spare sticks of it. (yes i know only 2 slots). Want pcie 2.0, probably won't oc' it but I might for him so thats why i requested ocing in title. looking for cheap but quality balance, i won't pay for garbage, no real price limit, but this is a gift and i need it to stay within reason say less than 200 but closer to 130-150 would be ideal. But again reliablity is key, oh yeah, want an atx board. My bro uses a athlon XP 2400+ geforce mx440 equipped pavillion, so im bringing him up to speed from his HP-iece of crap.

Last edited:
Asus 790FX boards are very nice for the money. When you say $120-200 is that in USD? if so you're looking at the high end amd boards. DDR3 performance over DDR2 is of no use, and using the 920 you can't use it anyways as there is no DDR3 memory controller if I recall. That's only available on the 810(AM3) chip right now. If you haven't bought the 920 yet, i would really suggest the X3 720 since its unlocked multiplier allows for better OC options. Sure you can get the 920 for same price as the 720 right now but why not get the unlocked multi?

I bought it from the egg for $165 with a $60 dollar MIR.

Have not had a chance to run the new BIOS for 920 overclocking yet, I cant wait though :)

Back