• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building First PC! Need some advice please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TribulationFu

Registered
Hey guys, so as you could tell from the title I am building my first ever pc. This is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hKg3kL

I was wondering
1. If these fans would be good, put 2 on the front as intake and one on the back as exhaust.
2. If my fans will be auto temp controlled. (I know some are controlled based on temperatures but not sure how that works)
3. If the ram will fit due to the noctua nh-d15 or if they will hit each other/if ram fits, will the case be big enough?

I would say if youre gonna a build of that level, Id spend the extra 10 bucks on getting the best fans in the market (noctua's). They have black ones now, so theres no reason not to :)

Those fans are not PWM, which means you would need a voltage regulator (fan controller) to control the speeds. The N fans are PWM and aren't much more expensive.

Ram will be fine, the d15 has a bit more clearance than the average "super sized" cooler.

Do you really need 32gb of ram? This looks like a gaming build, 16gb is already overkill, 32gb is laughable if gaming is your concern. If you're into production work, x99 would probably be a better bet for you anyway.

Unless youre planning on SLI in the very near future, you can step down that power supply a few hundred watts.

Get an asus PCIE networking card, same cost, much better "name" and a proven track record.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to this. I would like to learn how to over clock at some point and yeah it is a gaming pc. Doesn't ram speed up your pc? And I am planning on getting another gfx card in the near future. What is the networking card?

Now for the fans which is my main concern, I was hoping to get some led lit fans. I saw some on phanteks that I liked but idk if they are pwm or whatever. What exactly does this mean? I know air fans run in 3 pin and 4 pin. Some use pwm and some don't. If a fan is pwm, how do you edit the speeds for those fans?

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to this. I would like to learn how to over clock at some point and yeah it is a gaming pc. Doesn't ram speed up your pc? Only if the RAM amount is insuffiicent. If you have a sufficient amount of RAM then adding more will not improve performance. 8 gb is plenty for gaming. And I am planning on getting another gfx card in the near future. What is the networking card? A networking card connects your computer to your network and to the internet. They fit into a slot on the motherboard. These cards can afford either wireless or wired connection but not both in one card. At least most cards offer either one or the other type of connectivity. If you want to go wireless the better rout might be to get a wireless USB adapter instead of an internal network card. Most higher end motherboards these days already have gigabit LAN (wired connection) built in.

Now for the fans which is my main concern, I was hoping to get some led lit fans. I saw some on phanteks that I liked but idk if they are pwm or whatever. What exactly does this mean? PWM=Pulse Width Modulation. It controls the fan speed by varying the duration of the electrical pulse while keeping the voltage constant. It has the advantage of allowing you to run the fans at slower speeds without stalling as compared to just lowering the voltage. I know air fans run in 3 pin and 4 pin. Some use pwm and some don't. If a fan is pwm, how do you edit the speeds for those fans? You change the speed of a PWM fan either by changing the fan profile in bios or in Windows software that communicates with the bios.

Thanks for all of that information! I have 1 last question for you guys. Would you recommend getting the noctua nh-d15 for my build? I am only getting 16gb's of ram instead of 32. 4X4's not 2X8's. Has lower CAS. Basically I guess my question is, does my motherboard or my processor come with a good fan already on it? If not I will get the noctua, however if it does should I get the noctua or just save my $90?

The noctua will severely outperform the stock cooler. If it's in the budget, get it. 16 is fine, still overkill a bit.

Thanks for all of that information! I have 1 last question for you guys. Would you recommend getting the noctua nh-d15 for my build? I am only getting 16gb's of ram instead of 32. 4X4's not 2X8's. Has lower CAS. Basically I guess my question is, does my motherboard or my processor come with a good fan already on it? If not I will get the noctua, however if it does should I get the noctua or just save my $90?

Lower CL, yes. But the Command Rate will move from 1T to 2T with for sticks of RAM which will offset the CL somewhat. Also, four sticks can have a negative impact on the overclock potential of the CPU because more sticks places more strain on the IMC (integrated memory controller).

If you cut back from 16gb to 8gb you will likely regain the lower CL with two sticks.

Back