• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So far so good.

What cooling and psu will you be using?
Try to get at least a 400W Brand name PSU (antec or enermax or even a PC Power & cooling if money if not a concern).

I dont know about the case but every thing wlse look like all good components.

get an OEM cpu, and when you are checking out, there is an option for $5 extra, you can get a 1 year warranty. do that, and just get an slk-800 or something for a cooler...everything else looks nice tho

The PSU is the 2nd link, i think. it comes with the case. and the cooling? i dont know, i have some copper heatsink i got like 2 years ago with my athlon 1000, i will recycle that :p

Slayn said:
The PSU is the 2nd link, i think. it comes with the case. and the cooling? i dont know, i have some copper heatsink i got like 2 years ago with my athlon 1000, i will recycle that :p

Chances are the PSU that comes with the case is probably not a very good one. Try to find out what voltage specs are and head on over to the PSU forum and see if it's good enough.

It doesn't look like you'll be doing any serious overclocking if you're gonna use a 2yr heatsink. In which case, that psu that comes with the case will suffice.

they are not well known for great performance...enermax are good, and dont cost too much. vantec are good as far as i know..im not aware if it was ever settled whether they had a 1% or 5% retriction on itself...o well, either one of those would be a good buy. PSU is one of those things you NEVER want to go cheap on..a low rail can be devastating to stability

Oh well, ordered all the crap anyway, lets see how it turns out, I will be back in a few days asking you all stupid newb questoions, and then whining because i get a 1% overclock :p

Ok got most of my stuff today. The power supple is named Austin-450 or whatever, but is rated at 380W... oh well, Its good enough for me, it was cheap and looked cool. The CPU I got was a JIUHB 0302 is this any good? Doesnt really matter to me if its good or not, I dont plan on heavy overclocking ( ill take what I can get ). And also, if I use a cheap hsf ( some copper one I got on clearance for $15 like 1-1/2 years ago ) will this severely limit MY oc? I dont really need to hit 2.0ghz, anything will be fine really. Thanks in advance!

yeah....improper cooling can really hurt an overclock...it's an all copper heatsink...a good cfm fan w/that hs might suffice...
you can probably get up to 1.6 or 1.7, but you'll need better cooling to get farther than that...

Dont forget to put Arctic Silver or another type of thermal grease between the chip & heatsink. I know this is an obvious one...but you did mention noob questions & you definitely dont want to overlook this. :)

0302 is one of the latest steppings so you'll have to wait for someone who's recently bought a 1700+ JIUHB...also it takes a while to start pushing your cpu to its o/c'ing potential, so it might take a while to get a response for your question...
(NOTE: for best results use Arctic Silver III Thermal Compound on your hsf)

Is there really any difference between the 3? I have acII... thats good enough. If I can only find it though... anyone know any stores that sell it? Or is it online only? I dont feel like waiting more days for it to come...

rofl
Slayn: your sister is basically mine, same proc/mobo, 'cept 30gb HD and....ATI Rage Fury Pro owns all!!!
I'm upgrading also, but i wouldn't skimp out on all the cooling, dont wanna risk it

I was going to buy AS3 from a store, but they sell it for $13.00! So I ordered it online for $5.00 out the door.

Back