• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building New Rig, PSU choices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bodyrocka03

Registered
Hello, so I'm building a new rig and am stuck on my psu. my main concern is how many watts do i need to run 2 GTX 590's? i wnt to be able to have My CPU and GPU's at full throttle. Here is my current list of components I have either still debating, on order, or in hand.

Mobo: Asus rampage IV Extreme (still debating)
CPU: i7 3930k (possible overclock 4.5Ghz +
Mem: Gskill - 32gb DDR3 @2133(OC @1.65) (on order)
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
SSD: (2) 125GB Corsair Force 3
Opt: LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
GPU: (2) GTX 590 Hydro Copper (1 in hand, still debating on 2nd)
LC Pump: MCP655
Fans: 10-12
USb Devices: 3-4
PSU: Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold (was on my old rig)

I have been looking to a few PSU's:
Silverstone ST1500
Thermaltake Toughpower 1500
Lepa G1600-MA

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:
im thinking that a 1500 watt psu is a bit over kill for you,you would probably be fine with a good 750 watt but i would just re use your 1200 watt from your old rig.

From what i found in a quick google, a 590 pulls down about 350w at full load/peak usage, so a good kilowatt psu would easily handle the system, even if the cpu and both gfx were both at full load. Though if you arent comfortable running at bout 90% of your psu capacity then a 1200 would give some room. 1500 is way more than you need, unless you are aiming to keep your full system power draw closer to half the capacity of the psu for that last 2-3% efficiency.

With 2 590's, I wouldnt use a 750W PSU... thats pushing it even for me. 1KW for dual GPU cards. 1.5KW is massive overkill.

I sure hope you have a multimonitor setup rocking 2 590's!

A lot of big monitors, at that!
I wouldn't worry about OCing the 590s, for starters that's a wild amount of GPU power, and to follow that up they tend to explode when OC'd.

I knew the 590's where power hungry I just didn't know how much. I'd hoped I can stick with my current psu to save a buck lol. It seems I can! I was just kinda worried because I used the psu selector tool on newegg and it says 1196w! So I was like hell I need more than 1200w. And yes I do plan on doing the tri monitor setup in the
near future, just gotta choose a stand and monitors! This may be wrong area to ask this question but, will a single 590 suffice for a tri monitor? While playing, say bf3 or cry2? Obviously at max settings.

Gpu question thread

Last edited:
No. Won't play them at max settings alone. Neither will a second. That's too much vram required for max settings textures. Gtx 590 only has 1.5gb vram available per core. You'll need more than that to max those games tri 1080p. I'd personally resell the 590 and buy a couple of 670/680 4gb or something.(can you get 4gb 670s??) Or a pair of HD 7950/7970s

Oh and your psu is plenty for a pair of dual gpu cards. Don't worry too much about calculators.. most are inaccurate or add too much on to requirements..

I knew the 590's where power hungry I just didn't know how much. I'd hoped I can stick with my current psu to save a buck lol. It seems I can! I was just kinda worried because I used the psu selector tool on newegg and it says 1196w! So I was like hell I need more than 1200w. And yes I do plan on doing the tri monitor setup in the
near future, just gotta choose a stand and monitors! This may be wrong area to ask this question but, will a single 590 suffice for a tri monitor? While playing, say bf3 or cry2? Obviously at max settings.

Gpu question thread

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7213134#post7213134

lesson: don't trust a PSU selector on a website that is trying to sell you the most expensive PSU they can ;)

Lesson: The extreme outvision calculator, which some of these are based off of, actuallydoes a decent job if you input everything properly. They (extremeoutvision calc) are not selling you squat. :)

Last edited:
With 2 590's, I wouldnt use a 750W PSU... thats pushing it even for me. 1KW for dual GPU cards. 1.5KW is massive overkill.

I sure hope you have a multimonitor setup rocking 2 590's!

yea my bad i was reading 680s not 690s for some reason,that's what i get for posting tired lol.
yea hell defiantly need a good 1000w or so i think his old 1200 would be fine

man i think i spend to much time looking at numbers there all starting to look the same to me now lol..590:bang head

LOL i know what you mean. I'm actually looking into selling this 590 and picking up some 680's or a 690. Not sure yet though

I think your Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold can power 2x590s with ease as I used it for 3 GTX 580s and 2 raid 5 2TB each without any hiccup.

4 HDD is like 40W... interesting item to mention to support high power use. Not an overclocked cpu consuming 200w, but 4 HDD. :)

Back