• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 590 Quad SLI question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bodyrocka03

Registered
Ok so I have a single gtz 590 hydro copper as of right now. I want to do a quality tri monitor setup. My question is , would it be worthwile to invest in another GTX590HC or would it simply be overkill? I want to be able to play crank up any game to max settings. I have not yet chosen the monitors or stand I want to use. Any help or advice would be great!

I would buy a 30" monitor before buying 3x24".
Most games will natively support a 30" monitor, whereas many games will NOT natively support a multi monitor configuration: i.e. Diablo 3 and Skyrim.
With the 30" monitor, you'll get native support AND you won't have to deal with Bezel's.

I have 3x24" Dell IPS; if I could do it all over again, I would eat the upfront cost for a 30" Dell instead.

Also, if you're willing to wait, I hear rumors that 2160p monitors/TVs are in the works:
http://www.tvsnob.com/archives/028862.php
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1456860

Also in the future, please mention the resolution of the monitors because that can make a difference. 3 monitors @ 1024x768 is not gonna take the same kind of processing power than 3 monitors @ 1920x1080 or 3 monitors @ 2560x1600...

Hi,
I own 2 gtx690 and the cards for now don't scale well.
In crysis 2 and bf3 I get better performance with only one card.
Also 690+680 don't scale.
So... Check before online if the cards do scale well.
Furthermore by crysis2 I get a ram usage par gpu, of 1750-1850 mb in the lowest settings, but with dx11 and high res texture pack.
So I wouldn't advice you this stepup.

People always tell me "vram is not a problem" 2gb cards are enough.
Well and in one year 2gb won't probably be enough

Hi,
I own 2 gtx690 and the cards for now don't scale well.
In crysis 2 and bf3 I get better performance with only one card.
Also 690+680 don't scale.
So... Check before online if the cards do scale well.
Furthermore by crysis2 I get a ram usage par gpu, of 1750-1850 mb in the lowest settings, but with dx11 and high res texture pack.
So I wouldn't advice you this stepup.

People always tell me "vram is not a problem" 2gb cards are enough.
Well and in one year 2gb won't probably be enough

Its not really about how much VRAM a GPU has.

My 6670 has 1GB of RAM but so does a 6870 and the 6870 is considerabally faster and better than my card.

Its about texture units bus size, core speed and SPU's and less on the scale, TAU's and ROPs. I know that a 2GB 7850 will easily be able to max out games for the next 2 years. A 2GB 560....doubt it..

Me to I own 2 6870. These are in the shelf cos don't got enough vram.
If I had bought the 6950 instead I would still be using them.
If you pair 4 gpu you want also enough vram, to not change everything in one year

Back