• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new gaming build for 2024

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlf

-PC Use:

-- Diablo 1/2/3, Warcraft 2/3. Stardew (Modded, with SVE if I can get it working), Bloodstained, grim dawn, various Sony games releases on Steam. https://steamcommunity.com/id/DlfC/games/ If you want to see what I've played and or my wishlist. Also, GOG. If possible, I'd like to try to pass a GPU through to a Virtual Machine to use Windows for some easier games (that wouldn't run through Linux (probably mint or some 'buntu variant) or are just cumbersome.

-- Web browsing

-- Maybe folding@home

-- Eventually want to rip my blu-rays for an internetless home theater PC. [Though that's a different topic to make]

- Budget: At least 800 (US) I'd think should be a baseline, at most like 1500.

- Brand preference. Nope. Although I think I'm more limited with AMD CPU's than intel for GPU-passthrough, would like to trying a Ryzen though.

- Current parts:

-- CORSAIR RM750X FM 80+G ATX 2021 for power supply

-- A 2070 Super (although assuming 8 GB of VRAM ain't enough, I might get something newer)

-- Maybe various internal Hard drives/SSDs, albeit right now they are out of the case, and some are being used by SATA -> USB bays (to a steam deck).

- Overclocking - nope, I don't trust my self, nor do I need the heat (summer in the southern states is brutal.

- When I plan building - Next few months [like go to microcenter by late March, buy the parts build soon after], I'd hope (shouldn't rely on the deck forever). Would like to move the deck between two monitors and have a HDMI (and/or) a display port splitter between my switch my deck and computer to use one monitor for any of the three systems.

- Resolution - Right now 1440p, eventually buy a new 4k monitor, would like to try 120 - 144 (or 160) hz refresh rate).

- RAM: At least 16 (or 32) GB ddr4 (or 5) should probably be a baseline.

- Other things. Good airflow, pretty quiet (since it will basically be in a room below where someone sleeps)

-- Case should probably have some USB 3(/c) on the front. Any cases that have a front (and/or bottom/top(?)) Removable cleanable mesh filter (or something like that)?

- Motherboard should have wi-fi & bluetooth. Would like to try an NVME ssd for the OS, probably SATA for the games that recommend and are 100% dependent on a SSD over hard drive).

Yes there is a microcenter about 13–20 minutes from me BTW.

I've been suggested the following from someone else: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2W6pVW What say you all?

Looks like a nice build. Personally I would wait for the new motherboards with the plugs in the back (see the CES articles) just because I'm silly about cable management. This will require a newer case as well but they will come as the new boards are released. Also plan on a new GPU in the near future but the 2070 will work until then, you will just have to scale some things back. If you can swing I would go ahead and get one so you don't have to mess with the build down the road. Diablo and Warcraft aren't too demanding so the 2070 will be fine but if you get into D4 and other newer games you will want the extra memory.

Any decent newer board will have the wifi/blutooth so its a non-issue imo. Same can be said for a good case and USB3/C. NVME drives are silly cheap right now so just buy one 2tb like a WD Black for about $150 then you can add an external later if you need. Some modern games are 1tb or so but you don't play them at this point.

Back