• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great success! I was able to put the 556 2-98% controller together. It didn't work at first but after some extensive troubleshooting I realized that I had grounded one of the components instead of connecting it to the 5V line :(
Initially I tried to put together something that was as clean as inVain but after putting on the first few components I realized that it was way beyond my skill level to make it look good. Instead I decided to just get it to work...and even that I had trouble with.

It's not pretty but here it is.
AJTYc.jpg
AnOXL.jpg
xrwu3.jpg

Nice! Certainly beats mine for neatness, especially on the soldering on the underside!

In other news, I've managed to convince an atmega328p microcontroller (~$5) to cough up a 15.4khz PWM signal! That should beat 31.9khz in efficiency pretty nicely.
The best part is that the 15khz setup is actually cheaper and simpler then the 31khz setup, go figure.

Next up is trying to convince the attiny85 MCU (~$2) to give my a PWM signal over 2khz. It's being difficult and I don't know why. I think I'm missing something.

@Sebastian
the reason that the controller looks so clean and sexy, is because bing take the pics of it :D
guess playin' simcity a long-long time ago pay me back for this layouting stuff:rofl:

LOL.... Now I know why I suck so bad at laying down surface mount parts on PCB!!!!
I sucked at Sim City so bad it wasn't even funny... My cities never made it past the "planning" stages. I never had the patience for games like that. Two hours in and my short temper would kick in and I'd just force feed my city calamity after calamity until there was nothing left... :)

I will keep on trying with the PCB stuff though... I've set up a goal for myself for the rest of this year. Before December 2011 comes to an end I will have modded a cheap fan controller, preferably one with LCD for temp/rpm readouts to feed the fans plugged to it 12V straight and to control said fans via PWM signal.
I know it's a hefty goal, but that's the only way I will force myself to practice and learn what I need to learn in order to get it done.

:)

A bump just to brag on a gift that I just received from inVain, an excellent built of the 0-100% version pwm controller. :rock:
<SNIP>
Imo, this is a work of art, very nicely laid components ! :thup:
<SNIP>
Thank you inVain, really honored to have this piece of fine work of yours. :salute: :bday:

Damn, that's really clean/sharp.
Might have to contract you to do a few jobs for me soon inVain!
If you have the time, of course.

With a little bit of help I now have two 15.6khz PWM outputs from a $2 attiny85!
Now it's time to make a little box for it to sit in and put a couple headers on it.
Now I can make fan controllers with any pot I particularly want to, or even a 20 turn trimmer! Though that would be silly, as there are only 256 steps to the PWM output.

With a little bit of help I now have two 15.6khz PWM outputs from a $2 attiny85!
Now it's time to make a little box for it to sit in and put a couple headers on it.
Now I can make fan controllers with any pot I particularly want to, or even a 20 turn trimmer! Though that would be silly, as there are only 256 steps to the PWM output.

You're just rubbing it in now... Ain't you?

If it makes you feel better I chunked two pins on one of my microcontrollers, I'm not really sure why, but I know that I heard a spark snap and now pins 3 and 4 are totally inoperative.

congratulation to u omega....
if you connect the controller to such a monstrous fan like delta,
I believe that we would be agree that this controller is "the souvenir of the century" :D

@jalyst
I afraid that I can't accept the contract sir:(
especially I ain't no EE student,
frankly speaking I can only create those clean layouts when I'm in the good mood:)

but if you like the controller that I've already build and posted the pic here (if I still had it one piece of course, and lying around outside my PC case :D) then you can have it...
though I'm not really sure how to send it across the ocean:bang head

@Sebastian
yeah...
I really like your idea man....:rock:
my main objective is also building my own PWM controller with rpm readout for each fan connected to it....(but it still far2 away:D)

and since you've build the two version of this controller, I need to ask you something...
does the 2-98% controller give you more noise inside your case?
coz for me the 0-100% runs my fans (at the same RPM) more silent but yet my temps run a sliiiiightly hotter than with the 2-98%

TIA:)

Omega,

Congratulation, happy to see you finally made it. :thup:

That is really nice and well made, considering that this is your 1st diy, I'd say it looks pretty decent. Trust me, you don't want to see my 1st, by taking a glance of it, I believe you'll catch a nightmare. :D

Btw, what fan did you test with ?

Bob,

Bummer, is it dead now ? Sorry to hear that. :(

@Jalyst
I afraid that I can't accept the contract sir:(
especially I ain't no EE student,
frankly speaking I can only create those clean layouts when I'm in the good mood:)

but if you like the controller that I've already build and posted the pic here (if I still had it one piece of course, and lying around outside my PC case :D) then you can have it...
though I'm not really sure how to send it across the ocean:bang head

InVain that's a very kind offer my friend!
But I don't think what you've made (while certainly very useful) is what I need.

If you read my thread from here till the last post, you'll get a good idea of what I want.
It's probably out of my reach, unless someone with more technical prowess can help.

You'll see in my thread I've postponed getting pigeonstriker to build it.
Until I've determined whether or not my MB is too limited (it probably will be).

My HTPC/PVR build FINALLY starts in about 1wk, w00t!

Last edited:
jalyst,
first of all . I'm really sorry for my poor in english,
I've read your thread but I can't understand it thoroughly...
but I can see that you want a multiple channel fan controller and mixing for 3 and 4 wire fans....

well,
personally, I don't like the 3 wire fans anymore because of their lack of efficiency to be used in PC.
I'm sorry, but building a 3 wire fan controller will be my last priority project:(
but, if you want a 4 wire controller wich will be able to control multiple fans independently, than I hope what I've build recently may inspire you (I not really sure tough)

so here how it looks (a dual 2-98% bing's PWM controller):

15052011060.jpg

and here what I hook up with that controller (2x delta FFC1212DE on the top and bottom front, 1x delta PFC1212DE on the ven-x):

15052011057.jpg

I connected the 2x FFC in series with one 2-98% on the board, and the PFC on the other one, so I can run the FFC at different speed than the PFC

hope this post will help you somehow:)

The MCU is mostly alive, only pins 3 and 4 fried. Unfortunately pin3 is both a PWM pin (one of six) and one of only two interrupt pins, so it's a bit of a loss. On the plus side, it's a $4 MCU and I am set up to burn new bootloaders via ISP. I'm trying to convince Atmel to send me a stack of a few different types of MCU for me to try out fan controllers with, if they do it I'll be very happy!

Something you might try jalyst, is posting on the Arduino forum (arduino.cc), someone there may have a bright idea or two for creating something along the lines of the BigNG but cheaper and to your specs.
I'm interested in the concept too as I have a delta 252cfm beast that doesn't accept PWM control, I'd like to be able to turn it down a bit.
If I find something worthwhile I'll let you know.

@bing:
I tested it with a 2X 3900 rpm Delta and 2X1500 rpm Gelid fans simultaneously. It worked well for both setups.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and comments. It's been running trouble free for a few days now so I'm really happy with it.

I've read your thread but I can't understand it thoroughly...
but I can see that you want a multiple channel fan controller and mixing for 3 and 4 wire fans....
well, personally, I don't like the 3 wire fans anymore because of their lack of efficiency to be used in PC.
I'm sorry, but building a 3 wire fan controller will be my last priority project:(
but, if you want a 4 wire controller wich will be able to control multiple fans independently, than I hope what I've build recently may inspire you (I not really sure tough)

No worries mate. Yeah that's not quite what I'm looking for...
The reason there has to be support for 3-wire, is that many of the fans I'll use are Scythe GT AP-15/14, which unfortunately are 3-wire.

Something you might try jalyst, is posting on the Arduino forum (arduino.cc), someone there may have a bright idea or two for creating something along the lines of the BigNG but cheaper and to your specs.
I'm interested in the concept too as I have a delta 252cfm beast that doesn't accept PWM control, I'd like to be able to turn it down a bit.
If I find something worthwhile I'll let you know.

arduino.cc's a great idea, I might restart my thread there when I have time!
I can't even remember exactly what I wanted now LOL, but I know what inVain suggested isn't it.
If you come across something please do let me know, sounds like you're wanting something very similar!

All the best everyone.

I'm far from an EE, so I'll be running with the ole' Farmer Cut 'N Try method.
I have some nice heavy duty inductors off a dead 4870, some nice caps from the same, and am limited to 65khz PWM, which is rather low for power switching.
In theory I can get 200khz at the cost of some phase-correctness, that might work better.
I need to find out what the inductors and caps want though. Plus the ideal inductors for a ~90 amp 1.2v GPU aren't likely to be the same as for a 3.3amp 12v fan.
Your 1800rpm fan should be much easier to control.

and here what I hook up with that controller (2x delta FFC1212DE on the top and bottom front, 1x delta PFC1212DE on the ven-x):

.snip.

I connected the 2x FFC in series with one 2-98% on the board, and the PFC on the other one, so I can run the FFC at different speed than the PFC

That is one hell awesome cpu cooling power and air flow you got there. :rock:

To others that still wondering why I called this awesome power, that 3 delta monsters when at their max speed are sucking power almost at 100 watt !!! :shock:

Say if they're running at their rated 90% speed, prolly still consume somewhere about 70 to 80 watt, and this is important, their power efficiency will still at a very high level, maybe > 95%.

When it comes to handling high power fan, this is one heck of the proof that pwm fan is a lot better than classic 3 wires fan. You won't find any off the shelf fan controller out there that can handle this kind of load on "single channel" or single pot.

Really awesome inVain ! :clap:

The MCU is mostly alive, only pins 3 and 4 fried. Unfortunately pin3 is both a PWM pin (one of six) and one of only two interrupt pins, so it's a bit of a loss. On the plus side, it's a $4 MCU and I am set up to burn new bootloaders via ISP. I'm trying to convince Atmel to send me a stack of a few different types of MCU for me to try out fan controllers with, if they do it I'll be very happy!

C'mon , buy more ! lol :D

@Bing:
I tested it with a 2X 3900 rpm Delta and 2X1500 rpm Gelid fans simultaneously. It worked well for both setups.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and comments. It's been running trouble free for a few days now so I'm really happy with it.

That is a really interesting information, thanks ! :thup:

This means and also the proof that the controller capable of driving multiple deltas and other mainstream fans like Gelid all at once. :salute:

Trust me, if that circuit is supplied with proper working voltage and also properly connected to a normal working pwm fan, it will last for a very long time, the only failing part is probably the pot since its mechanical.
I guess you could even pass it to your grandchildren, assuming they're still playing with this kinda stuff in the future. LOL .. :rofl: ..j/k

I had a layout all set up in Eagle last night for a attiny based dual output PWM setup, but I broke the link between schematic and board layout. Started over this morning and like the new one better already.
I'll post it tonight if I get a chance to finish it.
Atmel seems to be taking me vaguely seriously, I don't think that a monthly run rate of $250 is going to impress them much. Maybe the sheer hilarity of it will get it through them :D

If not, digikey stocks a ton of 'em.
The tricky/expensive part is going to be getting a PCB made if/when the time comes.

Quick poll time (for anybody who reads this thread):
For a dual output fan controller (that's two PWM speeds, not necessarily only two ports, it could be four or six or more ports), would you prefer two knobs, or up/down buttons and an LED to indicate which fan you're controlling? Either one is quite doable.

Another possibility is a temp sensor on wires that you place in your case's exhaust stream, and then tell the controller what the max and min temps you want are. The downside is that telling it the temps via three buttons and two LEDs (or some combination using five pins) is likely to be a bit tedious. I could use a 328 for that and have lots of input, but that goes from $2 mcu to $5 mcu.

@Bing:

quite powerfull controller ain't it:thup:

That is one hell awesome cpu cooling power and air flow you got there. :rock:

To others that still wondering why I called this awesome power, that 3 delta monsters when at their max speed are sucking power almost at 100 watt !!! :shock:

Say if they're running at their rated 90% speed, prolly still consume somewhere about 70 to 80 watt, and this is important, their power efficiency will still at a very high level, maybe > 95%.

When it comes to handling high power fan, this is one heck of the proof that pwm fan is a lot better than classic 3 wires fan. You won't find any off the shelf fan controller out there that can handle this kind of load on "single channel" or single pot.

Really awesome inVain ! :clap:

yep, nearly 100watt during full load...
to be precise:
2x2.40Ax12v (for the FFC) + 3.24Ax12v (for the PFC) = 96.48 watt
(sorry that in my previous post I stated 3.54 for my PFC I've made mistake)

imagine where will those powers gone if I use 2 or 3 wire fans at half speed,
surely I don't like to throw 50w from my "precious" PSU as a room heater:chair:

Trust me, if that circuit is supplied with proper working voltage and also properly connected to a normal working pwm fan, it will last for a very long time, the only failing part is probably the pot since its mechanical.
I guess you could even pass it to your grandchildren, assuming they're still playing with this kinda stuff in the future. LOL .. :rofl: ..j/k

yeah...
throw the voltage to cpu, not to the fan controller please:rofl:

Quick poll time (for anybody who reads this thread):
For a dual output fan controller (that's two PWM speeds, not necessarily only two ports, it could be four or six or more ports), would you prefer two knobs, or up/down buttons and an LED to indicate which fan you're controlling? Either one is quite doable.

Another possibility is a temp sensor on wires that you place in your case's exhaust stream, and then tell the controller what the max and min temps you want are. The downside is that telling it the temps via three buttons and two LEDs (or some combination using five pins) is likely to be a bit tedious. I could use a 328 for that and have lots of input, but that goes from $2 mcu to $5 mcu.

I like the buttons if the controller will be sit on the front of the case...
the temps and RPM readouts would be awesome information to be displayed in front of the case,
and I liiiikkeeeee to control my fans manually please;)

Just an update from Miah's thread on Build Log: Water & Wood at this POST, the circuit is from this POST as requested and built by Sebastian & Bob's built HERE, the 3 lines buffer/amplifer is proven capable of driving 12 pwm fans.

Great stuff there, you should check out that Miah's cool building thread.

Pics stolen from Miah's thread :D

View attachment 95514

View attachment 95515

Last edited:
Back