• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@ bing, don't worry about it - take all the time you need :thup:

And yeah £4 is cheap, but not as good as what I got my last FFB1212EHE for: £0.99, because nobody else bid on it lol :D

I really want to get either the TFC or a PFC for the PWM controller but they are expensive (the ones I can find). The Nidecs are nice but have a noisy motor so are not very quiet even at lowest RPM; nothing beats my two AFCs for quiet performance :D

This thread is growing so big and honestly I have to admit the discussions here are quite intense all this time, now, we all deserved some refreshment, don't you think ? :chair: :screwy:

Hope Brutal as thread owner doesn't mind, yes, this is waayyyyy off topic intentionally, but in the spirit of honoring our hero the 555 chip, here we go ..... :D

....da stool....

Yeah, now you must be thinking... WTF ?? :confused:

The smallest cat alive ...:facepalm: ..... WAIT......

..oh yeah, the cat's name is ... ZENER :D

View attachment 97706
Courtesy www.evilmadscientist.com

Linky here -> Footstool ... WTF ?? :screwy: ... just click the damn linky will ya ? :D

Hope you like it ! LOL... :chair: ;)

Last edited:
Now just take that design, hollow it out, stick a mATX board in there and BAM!.... You have a 555 PC Case.

I am filing this one away for future reference.

:D

I really want to get either the TFC or a PFC for the PWM controller but they are expensive (the ones I can find). The Nidecs are nice but have a noisy motor so are not very quiet even at lowest RPM; nothing beats my two AFCs for quiet performance :D

I got a line on the PFC1212DE 's (BRAND NEW, 0hrs use) for a damn good price. PM if you'd like the details.

This thread is growing so big and honestly I have to admit the discussions here are quite intense all this time, now, we all deserved some refreshment, don't you think ? :chair: :screwy:

Hope Brutal as thread owner doesn't mind, yes, this is waayyyyy off topic intentionally, but in the spirit of honoring our hero the 555 chip, here we go ..... :D

....da stool....

Yeah, now you must be thinking... WTF ?? :confused:

The smallest cat alive ...:facepalm: ..... WAIT......

..oh yeah, the cat's name is ... ZENER :D

View attachment 97706
Courtesy www.evilmadscientist.com

Linky here -> Footstool ... WTF ?? :screwy: ... just click the damn linky will ya ? :D

Hope you like it ! LOL... :chair: ;)

OMG, that's great! :clap:
Also, I did shoot a video testing the car controller with the PFC, but It was dark and didn't turn out great, I'll get a vid up with another controller soon as I had to send that one for the car out ;)

Now just take that design, hollow it out, stick a mATX board in there and BAM!.... You have a 555 PC Case.

I am filing this one away for future reference.

:D

:sn:

Last edited:
Yeah, looks really strong that made the fat beast GFB rotated cause by the suction power ! .. your fan really sucks .. literally ! lol :chair: :D

Thanks replice ! :thup:

PS :
To embed a youtube video, change the link by grabbing the highlighted part from end of the youtube link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42yHW9lTrkI

and edit and put into in your post exactly like this -> [yvid]42yHW9lTrkI[/yvid]

Muahahahaha!

I convinced the Snazzy Timer in the attiny85 MCU to cough up PWM at 25khz and 4.9khz, figured out what pins it uses, and made a new improved PCB (design at least) to both accept the new pin usage and crank up the maximum allowed amperage.
I would be very surprised at this point if the PCB died before the fan's own connectors do, it should be perfectly happy running at the maximum Molex rating of 11 amps. That's 132w folks :rock:
I recommend <100w, just because some spare room is a good idea.

I have one rev1 PCB left that I'll be populating and selling sometime this week hopefully, so keep an eye on the Cooling section in the classifieds if you want one :D

Ed, are you saying that mcu is now capable outputting 2 different freq at once ? What or which max current change ? The pwm signal port ?

Molex at the pcb is definitely better than power floppy connector, pcb is now rev 2 ?

My yet to arrive BobContoller is still rev 1 right ?

Yours is the very first rev1 board, yeah.

It could do two different frequencies at the same time, it adds complexity to the code, but it's doable. Up to three outputs, with two at one frequency and one at the other, too.
What I was talking about above is the same setup as the rev1 boards being able to select whether the outputs are at 25khz or 3.2khz, except I can hit 4900 on the nose now instead of having to settle for 3.2ish.
The new boards should be able to deal with more power than the fan connectors or the molex can deal with, the fan ports bracket the molex instead of being lined up, so they don't share 12v/gnd traces anymore.

I need to sell the remaining controller to fund the new PCBs, at the moment they only exist in my imagination and in the PCB software.

I must have typod or something, I got a large sack of nothing with that exact phrase.
I'll try again

The microcontrollers I'm using have hardware PWM out, which is nice, but it's only at 1khz. First thing i need to do is see if that will control a PWM fan.
If not i'll need an external PWM controller for 15k-25k PWM. I was thinking that using a digipot in place of the analog pot in the normal old circuit would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Yours is the very first rev1 board, yeah.

It could do two different frequencies at the same time, it adds complexity to the code, but it's doable. Up to three outputs, with two at one frequency and one at the other, too.
What I was talking about above is the same setup as the rev1 boards being able to select whether the outputs are at 25khz or 3.2khz, except I can hit 4900 on the nose now instead of having to settle for 3.2ish.
The new boards should be able to deal with more power than the fan connectors or the molex can deal with, the fan ports bracket the molex instead of being lined up, so they don't share 12v/gnd traces anymore.

I need to sell the remaining controller to fund the new PCBs, at the moment they only exist in my imagination and in the PCB software.

Wow .. now 3 pwm ports, thats great ! :thup:

Also assigning different freq on different pwm port is also really handy if the user is using mixed flavors of standard and weirdos non standard pwm fans.

Btw, just a suggestion to your next board rev, make it larger to accomodate mounting holes, cause from the pic on the 1st rev, I don't see extra space for putting some nuts and bolts. These will be useful in securing the main board or the buttons board as well.

I must have typod or something, I got a large sack of nothing with that exact phrase.
I'll try again

The microcontrollers I'm using have hardware PWM out, which is nice, but it's only at 1khz. First thing i need to do is see if that will control a PWM fan.
If not i'll need an external PWM controller for 15k-25k PWM. I was thinking that using a digipot in place of the analog pot in the normal old circuit would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Hey Lucifer, 1st of all, welcome to OcF ! :welcome:

1Khz is pretty low, even some low pwm freq fans which are non formfactor's standard are using 5Khz and above.

Yeah, replacing the mechanical pot with digipot is doable and pretty straight forward, and if you're using popular mcu, it shouldn't be difficult to find at internet the module/sub-routine in controlling common popular digipot.

Really interested to see your progress if you decided to build it. :thup:

Last edited:
Hi Lucifer! What microcontrollers are you working with? There may be a way to crank the speed up.
The ones I'm playing with have a default frequency of only 500hz.

1khz should do a Nidec, at least one of the ones rated for 500-5000hz.

Bing: Thanks for the reminder about mounting holes, I needed that!

Not sure If anyone tried it with the regular 2-98% controllers, but I can confirm that it will provide a strong enough signal for 4 PFC1212DE's at once! :cool:

When you say.. "variation" is there anything extra to the circuit? That's pretty impressive.

it have "extra" Inverted Schmitt Trigger circuits...
the controller has 3 IST in total, rather than 1 that you, and most of us had build:)

Back