• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building the impossible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f00t

I need some advice on how I can build a case the size of a case of pop in which the temperature would be about 0C-5C for a very, VERY sum of money. (like a fridge.
Any advice, any at all, would be welcome.]

-f00t-

and please don't suggest something like running a duct out the window. I have considered this idea and a) my room would be very cold b) it would only work in winter.

I need this to work year-round

No,no,no. I need to cool EVERYTHING in the whole box to those degrees. Its for some project that I need to do. Tat's why it has to be very cheap.

*sorry for the abruptness. I've been working on a "group" project for the last two hours and I am doing everyone else's work. "We"
(I) have to write a summary of every scene in Macbeth and translate the book into modern english. I've been doing this for 5 days now and it's due tomorrow.

Well how cheap is cheap?
Go on ebay and go to laboratory equipment and look for immersion chillers. Every once in a while these go for less than $50 and will do the trick nicely. You could also get a small mini cube frige and put the evaporator in the box.

If this is for a computer or other electronics- remeber about condensation.

$50 sound cheap enough. I'll look into the chillers too. thnx

Immersion and it's effect on capacitors has been somewhat debated. Some people have a number of problems with them leaking due to low temperatures.

I would like more details before I recommend anything. Computers don't NEED to be that cold to run efficiently. Temperatures are not the only hurdle when it comes to overclocking.

You need to cool the entire case to those temps.
I'm just curious why at the moment.

As far as suggestions I think we have hit them all if you want everything cooled to a nice low temp. I'm assuming everything includes the mobo with everything attached to it.

1. Immersion.
2. Construct a small fridge unit, or buy one. I imagine it wouldn't be to cheap.

I'd say get a chiller device to cool a liquid (water w/antifreeze, or methanol, glycol , etc..), run said liquid through a nicely sized heatercore. Good size fan, Comair Patriot perhaps, blowing air through the heatercore into the case. The air would get cold from the heatercore & cool the case.

Or... just get a small airconditioner, gut the parts(without cutting the coolant lines), and custom mod into a custom case.

Lets get crazy people, make a mineral oil submerged mobo case and chill it with a mini fridges cooling system add a pump to flow the chilled oil over the CPU and bam you got it cost might be a bit up there but its for school, can you think of a better reason to blow your money ;)

liquid nitrogen is ur only chance and it wont last if it only that much... ...how about making a thread with a realistic topic in the right section so try extreme cooling...

f00t said:
very, VERY sum of money. (like a fridge.
Any advice, any at all, would be welcome.]

-f00t-

Sorry i though you where prepared to spend the $, case of a missing discriptive! :D

As Captain Slug says heat is not the only barrier you will face, Getting the whole case down to those levels are really going to play hell with condensation. For the money you said you where happy to spend then your thread title is 100% accurate "building the impossible" It's just not going to happen at the temps you stated. I think your best bet is to either go for water cooling which will cool the 3 of the 4 major contributors to heat in your case, CPU, GPU and MoBo chip the Power Supply could be mounted externaly but this is not going to cost $50. Maybe your project has bitten off more than it can chew, And with the lack of details of what you are actualy trying to achieve, as others have mentioned there is little else we can suggest.

So come on whats the big secret!!! Let us in on it! :p

you can just get air conditioner in a small room and have that turned up at all time until your room is 0degree
then just were a big jacket and glove, your computer will be cold...
if not, get multiply air conditioners...

koosh

One thing i forgot. If this is for something temporary- you can use propane and make a makeshift refrigeration unit. PM angeima- he can tell you all about it.

get a big giant like 50 gallon freezer... put your computer inside it... turn it down as cold as it goes... probably after 10 minutes condensation will form and ruin your computer, but for a few brief moments you will achieve your goal and you will be happy.

The big secret is:
I want to use this machine as a fridge for cooling my pop and other things. I have a huge tower and was thinking of using the top as the fridge part. I considered a mini-fridge already but it would be much too small for a pc and 2-4 cases of pop. Yes I can drink that much a a lan party (the problem is going to the bathroom . x0.

What if I could get an old mini-fridge at a pond shop. Would it be possible to mod the cooling apparaus of it into the pc, isolate the top compartment with the pop, and make a duct down to the cpu, graphics card, memory, and mobo chipset.
ducting does't cost much.

Okay, more simply put:

If it were cheap and easy we all would have done it by now. There are too many barriers and safety concerns involved in building such a chilled machine. And aside from the obvious problems it would also become extremely tedious to maintainize such a computer because the whole computer would have to be defrosted and dried every time it's opened.

It's not very pheasible, it's not very practical, and it just doesn't offer enough benefits to be worth the hassle.

Now that's optimistic isn't it? :rolleyes:

Back