• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built my first rig - only runs on 4g of RAM. Help plz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DustyDizzle

So as the topic says, I recently built my very first computer. It was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I opted to go that route - this thing is like my baby. But! I have one big issue (and one small one). My computer only registers that it runs on 4g of RAM. I have 4 RAM slots and a 4g card for each - for a total of 16g. (if I put them all in the comp will not boot - it gives me continuous beeping then restarts itself to do it all over again).

Can someone tell me what I have to adjust to make it work with 16g? I believe it has something to do with the XMP switch in BIOS but I don't know what direction I should then adjust the power settings to (more or less?) or if I should even mess with that at all! Any help here would be truly appreciated.

It's sounding to me like memory error beeps from the bios. Try one stick at a time in each slot and see if that replicates the beeps.

So at the moment I have two of the RAM cards inserted - One is in slot one and the other is in slot 3 - it appears that it only registers the one in slot 3.

It's sounding to me like memory error beeps from the bios. Try one stick at a time in each slot and see if that replicates the beeps.

I have and they all work individually - the problem (I believe) is that I'm putting them in the wrong order or that there is a setting that I have not adjusted correctly. But yes they all work (I hope that clears that up). Thanks for the immediate help guys!

Attachments

• Upload.png
    Upload.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 211
Run Memtest86+ from a boot disk, just to make sure those two sticks are good.

I don't believe the memory itself is the issue because the computer will start using each stick individually. I just can't get it to recognize and run with all four at once is the problem.

Have you tried one stick at a time with each slot? It could be that a DIMM slot is dead.

Christ, that manual took forever to load!

Anyway, try one stick and only one stick in every slot. Then try the next one in every slot, etc etc. You might want to label them or something.

Install all 4 modules, then reset CMOS either w/ the on-board jumper or the button. If it POSTs, enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults. Save and exit, re-enter the BIOS and enable the XMP profile (normally Profile #1; DDR3-1600). Once in Windows, open CPU-Z to verify the timings (9-9-9-24-2T).

Have you tried one stick at a time with each slot? It could be that a DIMM slot is dead.

Yep. All of the sticks seem to work fine like this. It always boots up with one, just not when I have all four in their respective slots.

Install all 4 modules, then reset CMOS either w/ the on-board jumper or the button. If it POSTs, enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults. Save and exit, re-enter the BIOS and enable the XMP profile (normally Profile #1; DDR3-1600). Once in Windows, open CPU-Z to verify the timings (9-9-9-24-2T).

Here's where I start to begin to show how much of a n00b I am: What precisely is a CMOS? Where is the on-board jumper/button? (I assume it is on the mobo itself as I've heard reference to it before but idk what to look for). Can I change the timings in BIOS or will it all be taken care of by switching on XMP?

If you can't tell I'm relatively clueless here - all I know is I called my local shop and they wanted $120+ to do this. I would much rather it take longer and just figure it out myself! I built my own to save money - not to spend more just to let somebody else do my own dirty work. So thanks a ton for all the help everyone! :)

OMG, there are still jumpers to clear the CMOS? I'm used to just hitting a button.

Clearing CMOS is basically resetting the BIOS values to default. It is done by setting a jumper position or in more expensive boards, just pressing a button. Removing the watch like battery will do the same thing. That removes all power to the motherboard,

Okay so I'm about to reset the CMOS using a screwdriver on the two pins adjacent to the video card slots. A few more questions:

When I boot up will I automatically go to BIOS?
- If I want to get there (right now and before this) I have to sort of "beat the clock" and press the right key (delete) before the gigabyte menu goes away and windows begins to boot.

When I restore optimized defaults what do I do?
- Should I just power down then insert my RAM cards and then boot up again? Will this be the solution to my problem? Or will I still have to adjust how much power I'm getting from the power supply to handle 16g accordingly? If I do, does anyone have any advice for what numbers I should begin with and then what size of unit should I "jump" each time, I.e. if a certain number doesn't run, then how much should I adjust it to try again?

Thanks a ton. Hope everyone had a fun and safe July 4th btw!!!

Okay so I'm about to reset the CMOS using a screwdriver on the two pins adjacent to the video card slots. A few more questions:

When I boot up will I automatically go to BIOS?
- If I want to get there (right now and before this) I have to sort of "beat the clock" and press the right key (delete) before the gigabyte menu goes away and windows begins to boot.

It should stop during POST and prompt you that bios settings have been set to default and ask you to go to setup to correct

When I restore optimized defaults what do I do?
- Should I just power down then insert my RAM cards and then boot up again? Will this be the solution to my problem? Or will I still have to adjust how much power I'm getting from the power supply to handle 16g accordingly? If I do, does anyone have any advice for what numbers I should begin with and then what size of unit should I "jump" each time, I.e. if a certain number doesn't run, then how much should I adjust it to try again?

Thanks a ton. Hope everyone had a fun and safe July 4th btw!!!

You shouldn't need to change anything from your power supply or change any voltages. Just follow the instructions posted above.

Okay thanks so much! If you can't tell I'm being very cautious about all this - I really don't wanna mess this baby up.

please remember to, remove the battery when you reset the cmos, hold the screwdriver on the pins a few minutes, not seconds, reinstall battery and memory,

let the board do it's work, donot make anychanges to the bios, just exit out and boot to the os.

Back