• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer Overclocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taller51169

Registered
Is it possible for the BD owners to post what they have achieved so far with this chip?. Ill be grabbing the 8150 this week but id like to have some reference as to what is going on so far. Clock + Volt + Temps would be great. Thanks in advance.

I got mine to 250 fsb and then overclocked to 4.5ghz (250*18) running x264 and cinebench in between each run and couldn't go any higher without crashing. This was at stock voltage.

I didn't have much time to mess with it, and I realize this wasn't truly stable yet but I was just bumpint it up a bit at a time to see what I could get to before it would BSOD without a voltage increase.

Specs:
FX-8120
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
DDR3 1866 Ripjaws CL9

I'll probably get to spend more time on it tonight. I don't remember what my temps were.

I got mine to 250 fsb and then overclocked to 4.5ghz (250*18) running x264 and cinebench in between each run and couldn't go any higher without crashing. This was at stock voltage.

I didn't have much time to mess with it, and I realize this wasn't truly stable yet but I was just bumpint it up a bit at a time to see what I could get to before it would BSOD without a voltage increase.

Specs:
FX-8120
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
DDR3 1866 Ripjaws CL9

I'll probably get to spend more time on it tonight. I don't remember what my temps were.

Are you using the 0810 bios? Can you please post your BIOS screencaptures here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stock voltage or AUTO voltage?
If that's stock and not auto, that's one hell of an OC.

Anyone tried undervolting? I have seen many procs in thew past that you could actually OC and undervolt. It is reasonable to assume that if you can do 4.5 on stock that you can do 4.2 below stock.

Are you using the 0810 bios? Can you please post your BIOS screencaptures here?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am, I have to clean my motorcycle and fix my truck tonight. So I may not be able to get them till tomorrow after work depending on how that goes. It shouldn't take very long but I won't be surprised if I forget after swearing at my truck for a couple hours.

Stock voltage or AUTO voltage?
If that's stock and not auto, that's one hell of an OC.

I had set the voltage but I did have to clear cmos after overclocking the fsb too far and I don't remember for sure if I took it off auto. I want to say I did but I'll have to double check.

I have some degree of difficulty believing that someone exceeded 5Ghz at 1.4v
If that's the load voltage and its stable and an accurate reading, that's nuts.

^
Same question, same comment :)
I'd say it was almost a legendary OC if it is the stock voltage.

Not entirely, I have had a couple of Intel chips do 1ghz oc with stock volts, the last one being a q6600 that I bought from a member here, and it was an extremely good batch. Tho if I were to guess, he had the vcore set to auto :cool:

I'm not pretending that you could run Prime on it, but it wasn't just a quick setting in AOD and then a CPU-Z validation either. It booted just fine and will tick along happily at those settings. It wouldn't be ready for 24/7 usage. It will, however, happily do Cinebench repeatedly at 4.6 GHz using 1.31V.

24/7 stable

• 250 MHz bus x 19x multi = 4750 MHz
  • 2500 MHz CPU-NB and HT speeds (with a minor voltage bump)
  • Rated RAM speed & voltage
  • 1.41 V loaded Vcore

Screenshot link.

How does this fare then for frequency vs vcore in you guys' opinion?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2050373

=)

Not bad for a CPUz. This one (5.0 @ 1.44V) would run WPrime32M. Didn't try to run anything else at that speed b/c I was going cold, so I'm not sure just how stable it was.

So far, if we're going for max frequency, I win. :bday: (That's a challenge people; beat me! The more the merrier.)

I'm not sure I have the capability for that. My options for cold around here are limited to dry ice, though I may just rig it up and have some fun. :)

BIOS

111017192634-M.jpg

111017192649-M.jpg

111017192717-M.jpg

*NOTE I have no idea what stock volts are supposed to be, I configured them based on what they were when I reset the cmos. So auto may have given me non stock? I don't know I only say this because I've seen some people mention running 1.31

Also I was overclocking the multi from 17 to 18 yesterday when I was experimenting in AOD, when I got to 18.5 I got a BSOD. Today when I set the multi to 18 again and all was well. It was even encoding just after this the screen shot below I launched snipping tool and bsod. So apparently 4.5 on stock volts wasn't true :( Now for whatever reason windows won't even stay stable after the change. I'm wondering if it has something to do with it being a fresh boot or maybe I was just mistaken.

4250-M.png

Oh well back on my quest for 5 ghz.

BIOS

http://bouwnt.smugmug.com/Computers/BD-Build/i-gdZKz2Q/0/M/111017192634-M.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://bouwnt.smugmug.com/Computers/BD-Build/i-4Z6dNK5/0/M/111017192649-M.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://bouwnt.smugmug.com/Computers/BD-Build/i-HFBT6N4/0/M/111017192717-M.jpg[/ig]

*NOTE I have no idea what stock volts are supposed to be, I configured them based on what they were when I reset the cmos. So auto may have given me non stock? I don't know I only say this because I've seen some people mention running 1.31

Also I was overclocking the multi from 17 to 18 yesterday when I was experimenting in AOD, when I got to 18.5 I got a BSOD. Today when I set the multi to 18 again and all was well. It was even encoding just after this the screen shot below I launched snipping tool and bsod. So apparently 4.5 on stock volts wasn't true :( Now for whatever reason windows won't even stay stable after the change. I'm wondering if it has something to do with it being a fresh boot or maybe I was just mistaken.

[img]http://bouwnt.smugmug.com/Computers/BD-Build/i-Rnsr4WQ/0/M/4250-M.png[/ig]

Oh well back on my quest for 5 ghz.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the screen shots. Your pictures are really downsized, I can make out the bios shots but the desktop shot isn't readable.

Go here you can see full res

http://bouwnt.smugmug.com/Computers/BD-Build

BTW I just noticed that even though my cpu volts are set in the bios they are increasing quite a bit while encoding.

I wasn't able to get close to 5ghz without running more voltage then I feel comfy doing on air so I'm trying to get there with multi overclock only.

Currently running 200x23.5 and starting to run out of cooling :(

How hot can you let these get anyway? I booted to windows at 5 ghz but the second I tried to run the x264 encoding the temp shot towards 80 c and I powered it off.

Last edited:
Auto vcore almost always cranks the voltage up (sometimes rather brutally) when you start overclocking.

Temp wise I think it's still <60c that you're aiming for.

Back