• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

But... but... I *love* my old x58! Too bad Windows 10 doesn't.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those chips are still pretty powerful , and with all those xeons floating around I wish I didnt sell my MB that I had .

There was someone else not long ago asking how much a 920(I think) would bottle neck a 1070/80 ( I think ) and from the benchmarks that were produced it wasn't as much as every one was expecting .

I did these tests on my machine (top) and my son's (bottom) with the same 1070. It isn't nearly as bad as you would think. I lose 6% to an 6700K clocked at 4.6GHz.

EVGA GTX 1070 SC
GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev. 1.0)
X5660 @ 4.2GHz ($50 CPU on eBay)
16GB DDR3-2400

Firestrike 14,820
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11940745

EVGA GTX 1070 SC
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
16GB Ripjaws DDR4-2400

Firestrike 15,710
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11910054

Last edited:
This machine is actually for someone who I built it for maybe 8 years ago when I used to run my own business. I built him the very best then (he paid a ton of money). The only thing I told him he needed to do was move to solid state... his financial apps are finally ready for Windows 10, so the upgrade is 2x500GB SSD (raid-1), up from 6GB to 12GB RAM, and a fresh install of Windows 10. It flies. Ever since the FX 8-core chips and the original core i7 chips, I haven't found any reason for an upgrade for a CPU... not a heavy PC gamer lately, so gaming would be the only reason.

I know this is a really old thread, but in case someone else gets here through a google search or a standard search...
The solution for me was a BIOS update. Fresh USB Windows 10 install would either get stuck during the install process, or the PC would reboot. I updated the BIOS and now I'm watching the 4GB update download (after I went through the Welcome process).
Motherboard is an ASRock X58 Extreme.

I am running a GA-X58A-UD7 with X5660 @ 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 780 and Win 10 Pro. Works beautifully.

That's good to hear.. I've been contemplating and upgrade but I can't completely justify one. Other than a gpu and maybe some ssds, I am still fairly content with my relic. It's a bit dusty, and can get a bit grumpy from time to time.. which can be a pain in the balls. Other than that, it's been good to me. Could probably use a new psu too.. in Everest they look a little saggy when the system is loaded :thup:

That's good to hear.. I've been contemplating and upgrade but I can't completely justify one. Other than a gpu and maybe some ssds, I am still fairly content with my relic. It's a bit dusty, and can get a bit grumpy from time to time.. which can be a pain in the balls. Other than that, it's been good to me. Could probably use a new psu too.. in Everest they look a little saggy when the system is loaded :thup:

I have put together three X58 systems with Win 10 Pro and they all run flawlessly.

GA-X58A-UD7
Rampage II Extreme
Intel DX58SO2

All with Xeon 56xx series CPUs overclocked to 4+ GHz. They run pretty well.

I did also run a X-58 system 6-7 months ago on W10 without any problems, until my mobo gave up on me :p. Was running 8GB of Ballistix LP, GA X58A-UD5 and i7 950 on it.

My work office machine was an old Dell XPS system with a i7 930 in it and it worked fine

I have been hesitant to upgrade to Win 10 on my old gal. But from the responses it sounds like it generally works well! I may have to try it. Backups backups backups!

I have been hesitant to upgrade to Win 10 on my old gal. But from the responses it sounds like it generally works well! I may have to try it. Backups backups backups!
Please do. It will work without issue. If it fails to install, remove any add-in cards. For me, I have a USB 3.0 card that Win10 does not like.

I just picked up a complete system with i7-920, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 9400GT for under $200 shipped. This will get a Xeon X5660 (@ around 4GHz), Win10, GTX 770 and a 2TB HDD and go toa friend of my son.

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R arriving this week as well. Got it for $55 shipped. Have spare parts to make this a complete system as well. This will either got to another friend of my son's or it will replace my aging P4 machine I use as a test server.

I just picked up a complete system with i7-920, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 9400GT for under $200 shipped. This will get a Xeon X5660 (@ around 4GHz), Win10, GTX 770 and a 2TB HDD and go toa friend of my son.

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R arriving this week as well. Got it for $55 shipped. Have spare parts to make this a complete system as well. This will either got to another friend of my son's or it will replace my aging P4 machine I use as a test server.

That should make a pretty good system for esports . Your friends kids should be happy =)

Super Potato LIVES!

MSI X58M motherboard
8GB RAM
i7-920 with stock Intel
500GB HDD
350w PSU
nVidia 9400GT
WinXP sticker... (ROFL!!!)

I put Win7 on it, then Win10.

It was running hot. Turns out the CPU cooler was only held down by two of the push pins and it was FLOPPY.

I swapped in a Xeon X5672 4c/8t CPU and clocked it up to 4GHz. Only got mid 70's.

Next is a GPU swap (GTX 980), install Steam and my usual gaming/monitoring apps and I fully expect to run DOOM 2016, MechWarrior Online, WoW, GTA 5 at 1080p with good framerates.

With the GTX 980, Super Potato is running PUBG at 60+ at 1080p on High settings. X5672 is running at 4.2GHz at 1.28 vcore. The stock cooler keeps it at around 72c under load. This will make a nice gift I think. :D

EDIT: Needs more RAM. 8GB isn't enough. Can only run PUBG, MSI Afterburner with RTTS and nothing else. I was trying to use Chrome and it eats too much RAM to run while in PUBG. *sigh*

Last edited:
With the GTX 980, Super Potato is running PUBG at 60+ at 1080p on High settings. X5672 is running at 4.2GHz at 1.28 vcore. The stock cooler keeps it at around 72c under load. This will make a nice gift I think. :D

EDIT: Needs more RAM. 8GB isn't enough. Can only run PUBG, MSI Afterburner with RTTS and nothing else. I was trying to use Chrome and it eats too much RAM to run while in PUBG. *sigh*

Aside from PUBG how was your experience with 8gb of ram?

P.S. Running a x58 just fine with windows 10 on a x5650 @4,3 Ghz, but its more unstable than windows 7 and with a i7 930 the clock watchdog erros when ocing were a pain in the a** (I notice it very memory sensitive when on windows 10).

Aside from PUBG how was your experience with 8gb of ram?

P.S. Running a x58 just fine with windows 10 on a x5650 @4,3 Ghz, but its more unstable than windows 7 and with a i7 930 the clock watchdog erros when ocing were a pain in the a** (I notice it very memory sensitive when on windows 10).

MSI X58M motherboard
16GB RAM
X5680 @ 4.2GHz
480GB SSD
2TB 7200 HDD
535w PSU
GTX 980
Win 10 Pro

I didn't stay with 8GB RAM for long as it was too limiting. One of the systems I gave away previously had 12GB RAM (3x 4GB) and it did well for WoW. As long as what you are doing does not exceed your installed RAM then it really doesn't matter how much you have. I honestly haven't messed with Win 7 on these systems much at all. I typically go right to Win 10.

That should make a pretty good system for esports . Your friends kids should be happy =)

esports like Destiny 2, BF1, MechWarrior: Online, Elite Dangerous, DooM 2016, etc... :D

I did some underclocking test with system in sig I was able to play doom 2016 @ 2ghz on nightmare @ 1080 and still had 60+ fps so im sure that xeon would have no problems , BF1 likes cores so again I wouldn't expect problems . The other games I have no experience with but glad they are working good for you .

Gentlemen, I really apologize for the necro post.

But as luck would have it, I find myself back on the forum. I never did get Windows 10 to play nicely with my old girl, but I'm still using her every day on Windows 7.

I really appreciate the additional information that has been posted here since the last time I visited; it has given me a lot of ideas to keep my old x58 up and running.

As far as upgrading the processor, would you guys think the 990 would be better or worse than the Xeon? I mostly game on my rig with a small amount of video editing.

I have upgraded to an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW gpu, which I love! In fact, I loved it so much that I bought a second one. Unfortunately, I cannot get the second card up and running. I've made sure I have the correct (most current) BIOS installed, and tried just about every trick in the book. While it would be nice to get SLI up and running (I'd like to give 4k gaming a whirl), it's not the end of the world; certainly not enough for me to give up my old x58! I have read a few posts here and there about other guys not being able to get their MSI Eclipse SLI boards to work with more than 1 gpu, but none of them had any solutions. One guy had a problem going where his board wouldn't work *unless* it was in SLI! He'd take out the second board and his machine wouldn't work. Go figure.

Once again, thank you all very much for all the help in this thread.

Necrotically yours,

--FloorPizza

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with a 990 if it clocks well.. You would have a few more options for running memory.. For instance, I used to have a 970, and was able to run the cpu @ stock clocks, and the memory at 2133. With my x5690 you cant run your cpu @ stock with even 1600mhz. Stock is 1333 and under. Once you get the bclk up you can run the mems up to 2000 or so. But.. My 970 was a shiny turd.. It maxed out at like 4200mhz with 1.55v. 4100mhz was @ 1.4v I believe. If I give my x5690 1.55v it will do 4800mhz, so that was the trade off for me. I traded memory mhz for cpu mhz.

But as luck would have it, I find myself back on the forum. I never did get Windows 10 to play nicely with my old girl, but I'm still using her every day on Windows 7.

I really appreciate the additional information that has been posted here since the last time I visited; it has given me a lot of ideas to keep my old x58 up and running.

As far as upgrading the processor, would you guys think the 990 would be better or worse than the Xeon? I mostly game on my rig with a small amount of video editing.

I have upgraded to an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW gpu, which I love! In fact, I loved it so much that I bought a second one. Unfortunately, I cannot get the second card up and running. I've made sure I have the correct (most current) BIOS installed, and tried just about every trick in the book. While it would be nice to get SLI up and running (I'd like to give 4k gaming a whirl), it's not the end of the world; certainly not enough for me to give up my old x58!

Necrotically yours,

--FloorPizza

- - - Updated - - -

I have upgraded to an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW gpu, which I love! In fact, I loved it so much that I bought a second one. Unfortunately, I cannot get the second card up and running. I've made sure I have the correct (most current) BIOS installed, and tried just about every trick in the book. While it would be nice to get SLI up and running (I'd like to give 4k gaming a whirl), it's not the end of the world; certainly not enough for me to give up my old x58! I have read a few posts here and there about other guys not being able to get their MSI Eclipse SLI boards to work with more than 1 gpu, but none of them had any solutions. One guy had a problem going where his board wouldn't work *unless* it was in SLI! He'd take out the second board and his machine wouldn't work. Go figure.

Necrotically yours,

--FloorPizza

The CPU question really comes down to cost. The i7-990X is $245 on ebay. The Xeon X5675 is less than $50 shipped and will run exactly the same as the i7-990X when both are overclocked. The i7 will limit you to 24GB RAM. The Xeon will limit you to 288GB RAM. If it was me, the Xeon would be a no brainer.

SLI is going to be problematic as support going forward is iffy at best. I am sorry to hear you are having problems. I have nothing else to add except my dip into SLI, both dual and quad left me shaking my fist at the PC gods. I sold all my cards and bought a GTX 1080 Ti before the crypto thing hit.

Back