• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

But... but... I *love* my old x58! Too bad Windows 10 doesn't.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HI,
This is my first post in this forum, but it’s for a good cause. :D

I’m still running my P6X58d Premium, and recently made a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64.
I bought a new SSD (Samsung 860 Pro 256Gbytes), and no issues at all installing Windows 10 Pro on it.:thup:

I have a EVGA 1080TI FE with water cooling, for gamming, and still making good FPS’s with recent games.

24Gbytes of RAM, and running a Xeon [email protected] on summer, and 4.6/4.8 in winter with a Corsair i100 water cooling (running in the mid 30 degrees).
Two 1T HDD Black Caviar in the Marvel controller (No RAID, just use for store music, movies, software, documents etc), and two SSD’s connect to the Intel ICH10R controller.

After that I made a new upgrade, and bought an Asus PCIe x4 M.2 controller, and a SSD 950 Pro 512Gb M.2 (Works with legacy bios).
Made a clone from the ssd 840 Pro to the M.2 950 Pro using Samsung cloning software, and now I have a boot of a few seconds.

I’m still using many of the original drivers for Windows 7/8/8.1 that work with Windows 10. :)

Last edited:
:welcome: and thank you for the input. I don't actively use the x58 chipset anymore but I have a few machines loaded with GPUs for folding with Win10 and I find that it works great. When I originally installed Win10 at it's debut, I did have continued issue with a 3rd party USB card that just would not work on Win10. Even after installing Win10, if I installed the card, the machine would BSOD on boot so I just tossed that card. It was probably a $10 special anyway so little loss. Otherwise, I've not had any issue with Wind10 on the x58 platform.

I'm happy to hear of your continued success with this platform too.

Make that 2! I run windows10 home on x58! No issues either. I haven't even activated her yet, but she's overcooked and runs without trouble at all!

920 CPU
P6t deluxe

Hi everyone.
I am trying to configure a RAID5 array on an old machine. Mobo is MSI X58 Pro, Windows 10 Home Premium booting off a Samsung SSD attached to SATA 1 port. Windows 10 runs flawlessly. When I configure the SATA controller to RAID, I can create the RAID 5 array with my 4 HDD, but then the system does not boot. It is looking for a RAID SSD and does not find it.
I recall having a RAID 5 array of similar configuration on this machine, although this was with HDD boot drive, and Windows 7.

Any clue ?

Hi everyone.
I am trying to configure a RAID5 array on an old machine. Mobo is MSI X58 Pro, Windows 10 Home Premium booting off a Samsung SSD attached to SATA 1 port. Windows 10 runs flawlessly. When I configure the SATA controller to RAID, I can create the RAID 5 array with my 4 HDD, but then the system does not boot. It is looking for a RAID SSD and does not find it.
I recall having a RAID 5 array of similar configuration on this machine, although this was with HDD boot drive, and Windows 7.

Any clue ?

Blauga, I suggest creating your own thread for this question. This is quite an old thread and will likely get glossed over by anyone who can solve this for you.

Edit: Found the thread that was created a few minutes after this post.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-HDD-on-MSI-X58-Pro-running-Windows-10-on-SSD

Back